Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The woes of Profile Manager

Server : Xserve

Server : 4.1.3

Client : Various Models / 10.10.4

Background :

So I have been a long time user of Workgroup Manager and finally decided to take the plunge to Profile Manager this summer. The main reason being that I updated our server to Yosemite. Now when I say update, I actually did a fresh install and started over. All of the services are set up now including Profile Manger.

Issues :

The main problem I seem to be running into is settings applied to groups that are nestled with in a group that have their own settings. I am specifically having this issue with the dock. My organization is a school district so I have a main computer group for a single school then nestled within that group are groups for each of the classrooms. That way I can apply universal dock items for the entire school and then append additional apps to the rooms that require anything extra. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what settings the client pulls. Sometimes it will only pull the school computer group settings and sometimes it will pull the classroom group settings but never does it combine the two. I never had an issue with this when using Workgroup Manager. I have confirmed that all active tasks in Profile Manager have completed successfully.

Another issue I am having troubles with is custom settings using plist files. Some work, some don't. Specifically the ones that don't work are trying to remove the wifi icon from the top menu. Using com.apple.systemuiserver.plist has helped me to remove the bluetooth icon but it will not remove the wifi icon. I am applying this to a user group. Is there a different plist I should be using? Another, is managing the finder's sidebar. I have tried using com.apple.sidebarlists.plist to manage this by applying it again to a user group. However, it just will not take.

Finally if anyone knows how to manage the default web browser, I would greatly appreciate some advice. I would like Google Chrome to be set as default without any user intervention.

I've been struggling with this for a while now and it's a much more frustrating experience than with previous OS' using Workgroup Manager. So any tips or tricks is appreciated.

Xserve, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 9:23 AM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 5:56 PM in response to LOSD_Tech

Deploying Dock preferences has always been a pig of a job, complicated by caching. There are several discussions of the issues on this site, e.g.

Cannot add dock items using profile manager

Putting a network location in the dock with profile manager

from which you can glean useful tips. If you can't get it to work, this may offer a work-round

http://errorfreeit.com.au/blog/2015/4/28/dock-master

C.

The woes of Profile Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.