Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With the new book formats for publishing photo books through Photo, does this mean books from iPhoto can no longer be reordered?

I had produced my annual photography book which I sell, using iPhoto and sending it to Apple. This was done in the spring. When I switched to Yosemite of course I lost the formatted book that I had created. I went into the format options and discovered they have chopped a whole bunch of options, including mine. does anyone know if I can reorder from my last order with my original format or if it is lost for good? I know I'll have to contact Apple Care as Sales Support can't answer the question but I'm curious if anyone in the same situation has had any luck.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Air Drop

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 9:12 PM

7 replies

Jul 31, 2015 10:42 PM in response to LarryHN

TThanks Larry, but I cannot get iphoto anymore. Yes I keep my software up to date, just dumbly upgraded to Yosemite unaware of the major change they had made to iPhoto. Yes it's in my applications folder but it came installed on my computer so I have no purchase of it on file. Therefore I cannot update it. I spent a lot of time looking into that. But also, with the changes they have made to the book formats, mine is no longer available which is why, I believe, the book is reformatted automatically when it is converted to Photo. And the new format doesn't work with my approach to the presentation of the photos. Captions are very limited in positioning and page setup is limited as well. So i will contact Apple Care and I will report back here what the result is. Thanks for your prompt input. This has been a major hassle and stressor for me as I have been having photography shows with the book as an additional product offering.

Jul 31, 2015 11:13 PM in response to Kootkid

Yes it's in my applications folder but it came installed on my computer

When set up your Mac it is associated with the Apple ID you use to set up the computer

since you were not up to date drag the iPhoto library to the trash (wait to empty it) and then go to the App store and install iPhoto 9.6.1

And your iPhoto library is still unchanged (unless you did something after migrating) and ready for use by iPhoto 9.6.1 and your book will be unchanged

LN

Aug 1, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Kootkid

Give the method that larry linked you to a try. Here's another similar method only stated a little different. Follow the directions posted by Tererence Devlin in this post:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If iPhoto 9.6.1 is there, close the App Store, drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash and then go back to the App Store.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

Aug 1, 2015 9:41 AM in response to LarryHN

IM wondering if you live outside Canada. When I delete my iPhoto's libraries as you say and look in the App store from the icon on my computer, there is no iPhoto app. And if I click on iPhoto in my applications folder I'm am told to upgrade my iPhoto app and when I click on that I am told the item I am requesting is not available in Canada. And that hasn't changed, I am sorry to say, since I started trying that approach three months ago. I think unless I try apple support and they agree, there is not way I can get iPhoto back in Canada. Thanks for the guidance. C

Aug 1, 2015 11:34 AM in response to LarryHN

I Talked to Apple Support and this is what I do on my macbook pro. It's slightly different on an iMac.

first go to Apps and confirm that under purchased iPhoto shows up. Then go to applications and drag the application to trash. If there is an icon that shows up at trash, the old circle with a diagonal line through it, go to applications and click on iPhoto shadow and click delete from the top menu bar.

then go to Launch pad and hold down the iPhoto logo until everything starts bouncing and click on the x beside iPhoto. You may have to do it twice.

THen get out of launch pad and go back to apps store and the purchase of iPhoto and reinstall. You will now have the up to date version. If you still have your iPhoto libraries they will work now. And if you have ordered books in iPhoto they should still be in the library AND you can reorder in the format you chose. It is just with Photo the layout options are limited.

THe two libraries, iPhoto and photos remain as two separate libraries so you'll have to use them separately.

Of course, he didn't say but I speculate, that sometime in the future we will still lose iPhoto.

There is a way in Photo to see the info for each picture. Some people have asked about that. But I don't remember it. Sorry.

With the new book formats for publishing photo books through Photo, does this mean books from iPhoto can no longer be reordered?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.