Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New install--iTunes not 'remembering' my apps?

My laptop required a clean install of Win7. All data and (in particular) my computer's iTunes files and folders are backed up on Carbonite.

Before I start the process of selectively restoring from Carbonite I setup iTunes and iCloud with my account and my iPod and iPhone.

Here's what I do not understand. Why isn't iTunes 'sensing' (since it knows me and my phone) that it does not have locally all the apps that are on my phone and 'know' that it does have those and many more backed up on Apple's servers and simply, automatically download all the apps to iTunes as they were before?

If I were to execute a 'restore' myself from the cloud then I'd get a bunch of data that I've already updated on the phone that would be wiped or, worse, cause the restored 'old' data (contacts, appointments, etc) corrupt my 'newer' phone data and then automatically sync to the other sources that sync to phone creating a data mess. That's why I was looking to restore just the apps to my local library.

What am I missing here?

I know that I can obtain my result by restoring from Carbonite but that's going to be more confusing so I was hoping for the above as a solution

Mark

iPhone 6, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 9:12 AM

20 replies

Aug 1, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Markg2

Unless something has gone with your device, restore your iTunes library in its entirety from the backup, connect your devices in turn and perform manual backups with iTunes. Each should recognize the restored library as home. This is better than create a new library and selectively restoring media to add to it.

My understanding (see How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support) is that your iCloud backup will be updated automatically when your device is locked, and connected to power and Wi-Fi. When restoring from iCloud it will automatically download the apps that were on the device, when restoring using iTunes you need to ensure these are already available in the library before you start. Whether you restore from iTunes or iCloud you get the snapshot of your device that was taken at the time.

tt2

Aug 1, 2015 10:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Due to my lack of familiarity with the process please pardon my confirming sections of your response if the questions sound redundant.

You advise to:

1. Restore iTunes from Carbonite as the first step. In my case that would be: C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes--Correct?

2. When you say: "connect your devices in turn and perform manual backups with iTunes. Each should recognize the restored library as home. This is better than create a new library and selectively restoring media to add to it." I don't get it.

If I just restored the entire iTunes directory tree from the date the machine went down I wouldn't be creating any new libraries--the libraries would restore along with all else iTunes from Carbonite?

I would think the iTunes restore would be redundant and unnecessary after the Carbonite restore?

Aug 1, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Markg2

1. Yes, restore the entire iTunes folder into your User's Music folder. If you've installed iTunes already and iTunes has created a library for you there rename or delete it before you restore your library.
  2. You appeared to be asking for iTunes to automatically download your existing collection of apps, presumably into the new empty library that was created when you installed iTunes. Even with the same content in it this becomes a different library from the one your devices are used to syncing with. As such iTunes would offer to erase and sync the media content, which is time consuming. Hence the recommendation that you do indeed restore your Carbonite backup rather than taking any other approach.

You mentioned restoring devices. If you have set up iCloud backup properly then restoring from it would not create the problems you mentioned, unless you had allowed the backup to become updated with the very issue you were hoping to recover from, e.g. you had deleted data in error, and then that updated state of the device was copied to your iCloud backup. The same goes whether you use iTunes or iCloud. Each backup is a snapshot that can only be restored in its entirety.

Note that iOS backups are not stored within the iTunes folders. The live somewhere in the %appdata% folders in your use profile. Restoring these folders and getting iTunes to see the device backups isn't trivial. As long as you have no current issues with the devices you can let iTunes create new rolling backup sets for each device by backing up when connected to your library.

As you say, there should be no need to restore at this time unless you have issues, but you should take the opportunity to create new backups for your devices in iTunes.

tt2

Aug 1, 2015 12:07 PM in response to turingtest2

When I left the house I had commenced the Carbonite iTunes restore. I had already installed iTunes. Once iTunes recognized me iTunes correctly populated my podcast list. I synced the updated podcasts to the iPod. I did not attempt connecting itunes to my directories containing music figuring that task would occur automatically after the Carbonite restore. So yes I didn't delete\rename contents of the new iTunes folders. I presume the Carbonite restore will overwrite all.

Will I need to start over--uninstall iTunes and follow your #1 instructions or is there a way to salvage what I've done this far?

Aug 1, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Markg2

I'm not personally familiar with Carbonite. I don't know if it will automatically overwrite the newer files or if you will need to go back and tell it to. It is unlikely to be able to overwrite files that are in use so iTunes should be closed during the restore if the core database file iTunes Library.itl is to be restored. If your library shows all of the content that you expect it to, personal rips as well as purchases, and all previously downloaded apps, then it has probably worked out OK, otherwise you may need to review the restore process.

tt2

Aug 2, 2015 8:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Clarification: Carbonite is a cloud based full time, automatic data backup. So the day my laptop went down, I had a complete backup of all sub directories and files below User (Mark).

Of the 3 iTunes data problems (podcasts, apps and music), I had resolved podcasts (by sheer luck) per my previous message yesterday. Any further resolutions (music and apps) will occur only by my inserting the proper (restored) directory/file(s) within the existing structure C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes that I restored from Carbonite yesterday or C:\Users\Mark\AppData that I'm currently downloading.

It has been my understanding that the (*.itl) file "iTunes Library 2012-12-02.itl" (date stamped the day my machine died: 6/28/15) either carries all the data for one's iTunes music library or is a file pointer to the local location of the library (my library is located: C:\OneDrive\My Sounds\iPod Nano Music (or, taken to one of several dozen end of path examples) C:\OneDrive\My Sounds\iPod Nano Music\Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited\01 - Like A Rolling Stone.mp3.

I inserted the file per the following path: C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Library 2012-12-02.itl. No tunes appeared in iTunes suggesting to me that I likely placed the file under the incorrect subdirectory? Where should the .itl file be located? I presume there's no way of directly pointing iTunes to the music file as you had showed me previously with podcast files (Edit/Preferences...)?

If I end up having to start from scratch reloading tunes from the drive to iTunes I don't suppose there a way to reverse the process and send all the tunes currently on the iPod Nano to iTunes?

I'm currently chasing my tail with apps. I have zero apps in iTunes (probably had 50 or so). All the apps that I've been using are installed on the phone (about a 1/3 of the total). Although I likely have a cloud phone backup, it would be useless since a restore would merely give me back what I already have on the phone--not what I need--an iTunes app restore. I visited iCloud and saw no icon remotely resembling an iTunes/app backup?

So, absent your direction regarding the location of an iTunes apps backup, I'm back to digging through my Carbonite backups. I've researched this app problem and it seems that apps may not reside (Windows 7) under C:\Users\Mark\Music\iTunes\...\ but would be found under a completely different User subdirectory: C:\Users\Mark\AppData which is huge and currently downloading from Carbonite's servers to my desktop. If apps are located under AppData, do you know the app parent subdirectory?

Aug 2, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Markg2

The core of an iTunes Library is the .itl file, normally called iTunes Library.itl. Dated versions of this file are generated in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder when an update to iTunes introduces a change to the structure of the database. The database holds an index to the location of each file, and all of the metadata that isn't stored in tags, e.g. date added, rating, play & skip counts & dates, playlist membership etc. If your active library was held in a dated .itl file that would suggest you've used one of the dated files to repair your library at some point in the past without normalising the filename. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for the process I would normally recommend.

The default location for apps is <Media Folder>\Mobile Applications. See Make a split library portable for more on the standard layout of the library.

When migrating a library from one computer to another, or restoring the library, I wouldn't normally bother with the iOS backup area, but if you have it available to restore and want to try then I don't see why not. Device backups are stored in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. I'm not certain what other Apple AppData files, if any, may need to be restored for iTunes to recognise the existence of the backup sets. As given if your devices are OK, and your library is restored properly then you can simply connect the devices and backup their current state.

Should you need to recover content from any of your devices see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Aug 2, 2015 12:08 PM in response to turingtest2

Not good. My tree does not correspond. Time for a new app strategy.

1. Is there a way to get the apps that reside on the phone exported to iTunes (a reverse sync)?

2. For those apps purchased must I get replacements from the individual authors or do they live in parallel somewhere in apple land?

3. 1 final confirmation--there is no cloud corner that houses all of the apps that previously displayed in iTunes?

Separately, there are 3-4 statements on I think the summary page regarding music. 1 re recording rate but another (the one I question) allows for manual organization which warns you'll have to stop the device when disconnecting--since I organize my own tunes locally any reason not to invoke the manual proces?

Aug 3, 2015 6:48 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm afraid now we're entering the domain of dumb questions.

I logged into my iTunes account through iTunes. Down the page (paraphrased) is section for purchases and I clicked on view. I ended up the Purchase History page. I clicked on a few of the date listings which took me to another page that listed various free and paid apps. However, the only options I see are Report a problem and Done. Nowhere do I see a link/button to re-download the app(s)?

Mark

Aug 3, 2015 7:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Please disregard my last post.

Apparently the 'Apple Gods' have been listening in to this thread and have shown mercy.

Several minutes after opening iTunes this morning with no device connected, ALL of my apps (purchased and free) were displayed in light shade. Once I clicked Update All, all are being downloaded :-)

Thanks for all the assistance--

After going through this mess and realizing that even having a decent backup all is not rosy having to restart from zero--which will again occur in the next several months with a new machine and OS. The list of companies your link of yesterday referenced were largely 'manager apps'. I know I can do a search but do you have any preferences for a robust, easy to use, iTunes backup that will do an 'automatic' restore of all one's settings, apps, tunes, podcasts, etc?

Lastly, when I signed up for double authentication (code via cell phone) I didn't realize nor do I see a need for the verification be required for signing into this board. Is there a way to opt out of using same for the board and restricting use only for signing into iCloud and iTune purchases?

Mark

Aug 3, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Markg2

Glad you're getting there. This is the backup strategy I use and recommend: Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy. It's mentioned in the recovery tip somewhere.

Two-step applies to everywhere you use your Apple ID. If it weren't enabled here somebody could, in theory, start testing alternative passwords out for your account without you being aware of it. Next time you sign in take a look at the lower left corner of the authentication box and click Remember this browser which sets a cookie that will let you in more easily.

tt2

Aug 4, 2015 9:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Minor glitch--

I last said that all my apps 'appeared' in gray, I updated and they 'came back'. Checking again this morning, a number did not come back as functional and remained grayed. It appears the reason those remained grey is that they are not on my drive. I tried right clicking one, selecting view in iTunes. However, the download bar is grayed out. I tried this with another with the same result. So I'm thinking there's enough of a presence of an app locally to tell the website that a download is unnecessary.

My next step (and before I do so I 'm checking with you) was to right click the grayed local app and delete it. Then 'add' the app as if I never had a downloaded copy. This sound right?

The other situation is the same as above except the greyed out app is in use on my phone. Do I do as above or do I need to delete the app from the phone also and totally start over? I'm not wild about the second option since I'll lose the app setup/password etc.

Mark

New install--iTunes not 'remembering' my apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.