Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete Multiple photos in Photo?

If I try Command select it moves me to the next thumbnail rather than selecting multiple photos. I find it a PITA to delete photos one by one.

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 9:40 AM

24 replies

Aug 2, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Richard Smith12

Select the multiple thumbnails as you would in iPhoto or the Finder. Then use the key combination of Option+Command+D to move the photos to the Recently Deleted album.

Go to the Recently Deleted Photos album via the File ➙ Show Recently Deleted menu option. There you can finish the deletion process or let Photos do it in 30 days which gives you time to change your mind is you're so inclined.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Old Toad

Yes from the main Photo (or root). Now if Apple is so good at handling pointers (via smart albums, etc.) why can't it handle deletes from "last import", smart albums etc. I wouldn't think it takes a genius to manage that.

It's just cumbersome to have to scroll through your entire library looking for photos to delete when you can more easily manage your photos from Albums.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 2, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Richard Smith12

Now if Apple is so good at handling pointers (via smart albums, etc.) why can't it handle deletes from "last import", smart albums etc. I wouldn't think it takes a genius to manage that.

The problem you're having is limited to your particular situation. You're the first and only to have this particular problem.

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

Aug 2, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Richard Smith12

Yes from the main Photo (or root). Now if Apple is so good at handling pointers (via smart albums, etc.) why can't it handle deletes from "last import", smart albums etc.

There must be a problem with your Photos library.

When I select multiple photos from "Last Import", a smart album, or an album and use the key combination ⌘⌫, the photos are deleted and moved from to the "Recently Deleted" album, where I can deleted them completely from the library.

Have you modified the bindings of your keys in the System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts panel?

Check the bindings of the keys there.

Aug 2, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Richard Smith12

If it does not work in any library, it might be a problem of corrupted cached files in your user library.

To check for corrupted preferences or caches try, if trashing the preferences file helps:

I'd delete the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos/ from your User Library and restart the Mac, then try again.

Your user library may still be hidden.To reveal the hidden User Library:

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • Select your user/home folder (with the house icon in the Finder sidebar)
  • With that Finder window as the front window, press the key combination ⌘J to bring up the View options.
  • In the View options panel enable ’Show Library Folder’. That will make your user library folder visible in your Home folder.
  • Open your Home folder, then the Library folder, then Containers.
  • Move the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos to your desktop. Move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Now restart the Mac and try again. If all is well, delete the folder from the Desktop.

How do I delete Multiple photos in Photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.