Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening a Document created in an older version with the new version?

Hi All

I’m seriously considering getting a new iMac to replace my 2008 one that’s been crashing lately.

However, I’m concerned about files created in older version of Pages and Numbers. There may be some problems and I'd like to know how to solve them. I'll use Pages and Numbers apps for example. Apparently I have 2 versions of each on my computer. Numbers 2.3 and 3.5.3; Pages 4.3 and 5.5.3.

This has caused me many problems in that documents created with one version won't open in another version. I posted about this before and was told to just click on the document and it would open the proper app. Before I would open the App first.

Now this new iMac will have everything new. My old one is so obsolete. How can I make sure all my documents will open on the new iMac?

Thanks

Allen

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 8:02 PM

You may find this discussion helpful...

Export from Pages 09 Version 4.3 to pages 5.5.1?

7 replies

Aug 2, 2015 9:59 PM in response to allenz

Do not open/save any Pages '09 or Numbers '09 document in their newer counterparts until you have these older documents safely archived elsewhere.

There are about 100+ features that exist in Pages '09 v4.3 that were not added to Pages v5.5.3 that will introduce document content disruption or removal consequences when opened/saved in Pages v5.5.3. In addition to the document architecture incompatibility. There is a feature disparity between the two Numbers applications that also will impact document integrity. Once a document is opened/saved in the newer applications, it is no longer backward compatible, and with those unsupported features impacted — cannot be resurrected by exportation to its iWork '09 format.

Caveat emptor — even if you got Pages v5.5.3 and Numbers v3.5 for free.

Aug 4, 2015 9:05 AM in response to allenz

Hello Everyone

Well, I ventured a call to Apple and got some very interesting news.

Apple told me that Pages and Numbers WILL open and convert (save) a file created in an older version, BUT will not do the reverse. Meaning I cannot open a numbers document created in 3.5.3 in 2.3 or a pages document created in 5.5.3 to open in 4.3.

So apparently I"m okay. So my original problem was I was trying to open a document created in a later version with an earlier version of the software.

hanks for all your help and suggestions. Ill be getting my new iMac soon.

Allen

Opening a Document created in an older version with the new version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.