Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I stop using aperture and start using photos?

Should I stop using Aperture and start using photos?

macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 7:53 PM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2015 11:57 PM in response to texasnana

Should I stop using Aperture and start using photos?

Are you using all the advanced features of Aperture?

Then Photos will not suffice for your needs. Photos does not even offer all the features of iPhoto, see Old Toad's list: Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities

Photos is great, if you want to sync a photo library across your Macs and Mobile devices using iCloud Photo Library.

• But it has not much support to design a photo library.
  • You cannot batch change meta data, you cannot display metadata freely, or search for all metadata.
  • You cannot compare photos.
  • There are no brushed adjustments other than the retouch brush.
  • There is no support for external editors.
  • The Photo Books in Photos do not support custom layouts.

Aperture 3.6 is working well with Yosemite, and probably will continue to work with El Capitan. If you want to prepare for the time when Apple stops the support for Aperture and are in need of a professional photo library software, compare Aperture's competitors - Lightroom, Capture One Pro, perhaps the free digiKam (if you like open source software).

You can explore Photos without stopping to use Aperture. Launch Photos while holding down the options key, to prevent it from automatically migrating your current Aperture Library. Then create a test library and give it a test run.

The advanced adjustments in Photos are actually quite good, as long as you do not need brushes.

Should I stop using aperture and start using photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.