Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot print ( imageRUNNER ADVANCE iR-ADV C5250)

I have imageRUNNER ADVANCE iR-ADV C5250 printer at work, everyone use windows and they can print, I'm the only one use Mac which cannot print.

I have tried to install 3 drivers.

1. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255(Windows users use this, already in Mac Yosemite 10.10.4)

when I print, the queue windows show 'Printing', it seems cups cannot connect to printer?

2. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255 PS (from canon official site)

the queue windows will normal exit, but in printer web admin logs, it says

You tried to print on a transparency sheet not made for this machine.

Load transparencies made for this machine into the machine and then try printing again.

3. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255 PPD(from canon official site)

printer will print, but what printed in the paper are only a lot of random numbers, chars, cannot print normally

Please help, any advice will be useful.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:02 AM

32 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:56 PM in response to greg sahli

I reset the printing system, and reinstall UFRII_v10.07.00_Mac.zip from above link, there is still no UFRII driver.

Also I tried to remove /Library/Printers and reboot and reinstall UFRII_v10.07.00_Mac.zip again, and confirm that this UFRII will install driver 'Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255'

And still cannot print.

Since I can print by Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255 PPD , random chars numbers though, that means I can connect to printer physically.

But why when I use the correct driver, the queue stuck at 'Printing', looks like cannot connect to printer or something

Aug 4, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Sato Masato

Sato Masato wrote:

I reset the printing system, and reinstall UFRII_v10.07.00_Mac.zip from above link, there is still no UFRII driver.

Also I tried to remove /Library/Printers and reboot and reinstall UFRII_v10.07.00_Mac.zip again, and confirm that this UFRII will install driver 'Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255'

And still cannot print.

The most likely cause for the UFR2 driver not working (and for the record the printer showing 'Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255' is the UFR2 driver) will be the protocol you used when creating the printer. The UFR2 driver does not work with IPP and it can have issues with LPD. So it is recommended to use HP Jetdirect-Socket for the protocol.

If the printer was created using HP Jetdirect for the protocol then another cause for the job not printing is Dept ID. If this is enabled in the C5250 but not in the driver then the print job will arrive at the copier but will not print. The job log will show #701 error. To check if Dept ID is enabled and to set the driver to use it, open Printers & Scanners and select the C5250 in the Printers list. Then click on Options & Supplies and then the Utility tab and then click on Open Printer Utility. This will open the Canon Office Printer Utility. In this window, click Printer Information. This should open a new window and under the Configuration tab, Dept ID Management will be listed On as shown below.

User uploaded file

If this is the case for your C5250 then OK this window to close it and via the previous Canon Office Printer Utility window you can enable the Dept ID checkbox and enter the Dept ID and PIN that you should use.

Aug 4, 2015 6:47 PM in response to Sato Masato

Thanks for the cups error log. It seems that your print job is not getting an error and is leaving the Mac.

Can you open System Information (located under Applications > Utilities) and select Printers in the left column. If this is the only printer on this Mac then its information will be shown in the right pane. If you have more than one printer, select the C5045 in the top right pane to see its information in the bottom right pane.

Can you copy this information and paste back here for me to check please.

Aug 4, 2015 7:40 PM in response to PAHU

Thanks for your time

This is the info:

socket:

Print Server: Local

Driver Version: 10.7.0

Default: Yes

System Printer Sharing: No

Shared: No

URI: socket://10.204.128.32/

PPD: Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255

PPD File Version: 10.7.0

PostScript Version: (3010.000) 550

(3010.000) 651

CUPS Version: 2.0.0 (cups-408.2)

Scanning support: No

Printer Commands: ReportLevels

CUPS filters:

capdftopdl:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/CUPS_Printer/Bins/capdftopdl

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

commandfilefilter:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/CUPS_Printer/Bins/commandfilefilter

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

Fax support: No

Printer utility: /Library/Printers/Canon/CUPS_Printer/Utilities/Canon Office Printer Utility.app

Printer utility version: 10.7.0

PDEs:

FinishingPDE.plugin:

Sandbox compliant: Yes

Aug 4, 2015 9:07 PM in response to Sato Masato

Thanks for that information. Assuming that the C5250 has the IPv4 address of 10.204.128.32 then all of that information is correct for the UFR2 v10.7.0 driver.

If you connect to the C5250 internal web page and logged in as a General User and then clicked Status Monitor/Cancel button, you can then click on Job Log located under Copy/Print. Do you see any entry for your attempted print jobs? If yes, then in the End Code column I would expect you to see NG (meaning No Good) and then in the Details column, a three digit number with a leading hash (#) symbol.

Aug 4, 2015 9:41 PM in response to PAHU

Thanks for your kind reply.

I can logged in to the web admin page.

If I use

1. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255

the queue windows of Mac show 'Printing',and there is no log in web admin page.

2. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255 PS

in printer web admin logs, it has #860 code, means:

Load transparencies made for this machine into the machine and then try printing again.

printer will print, but what printed in the paper are only a lot of random code, chars, numbers,

Aug 4, 2015 10:30 PM in response to Sato Masato

Sato Masato wrote:

I can logged in to the web admin page.

If I use

1. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255

the queue windows of Mac show 'Printing',and there is no log in web admin page.

Thank you. This result would suggest that the print job is not getting to the C5250. But based on the previous cups error log it shows that the file it being processed on the Mac. I wonder if the issue is due to you using the UFR2 driver for the US market rather than the LIPSLX driver for the Japanese market? Just in case it is the cause, please remove the printer from Printers & Scanners and then trash the CUPS_Printer folder located under /Library/Printers/Canon. Then install the LIPSLX driver and create the printer using the HP Jetdirect protocol.

Sato Masato wrote:

If I use

2. Canon iR-ADV C5250/5255 PS

in printer web admin logs, it has #860 code, means:

#860 also means "A print job was sent using a PDL (printer description language) that is not supported by the machine". So as Greg mentioned earlier, this happens when the optional Postscript kit is not installed in the copier.

Sato Masato wrote:

If I use

printer will print, but what printed in the paper are only a lot of random code, chars, numbers,

Again, this result confirms that the C5250 does not have the Postscript option installed. PPD stands for Postscript Printer Description.

Aug 4, 2015 11:21 PM in response to Sato Masato

Is this machine definitely using the internal Canon printer controller and not the optional EFI "Fiery" imagePASS-B1 print controller? I ask because the Fiery does not support the UFR2/LIPSLX printer language and doesn't work properly with the Canon PS drivers.

If you connect to the default web page of the Canon, can you confirm your view looks like below image.

User uploaded file

Aug 4, 2015 11:51 PM in response to Sato Masato

Thank you for the image. It confirms that the Fiery controller is not being used. And it's not the normal Canon controller view. It appears that some other sort of access control software is being used and this would be why you cannot print. Looking at the image I would think that you either need your Mac bound to the domain and login with your domain account or you somehow enter these details into the printer driver. I think you need to call Canon Marketing Japan (it appears to be their application) or the local Canon service agent for your company for help. Good luck.

Cannot print ( imageRUNNER ADVANCE iR-ADV C5250)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.