Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music plays song but there is no sound - iPhone 5c

Hello!

I have recently updated iOS 8.2 to 8.4. When I open Apple music and play a song from my library there is absolutely no sound. I have tried restarting my phone , signing out and in again , factory reset without any result.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 9:11 AM

I did all these steps. The speakers are fine. It plays music from other apps like Spotify. Headset works with everything except for Apple Music. Jack is clean. There is no case on. My device is updated to the latest version.

29 replies

Mar 22, 2017 1:21 PM in response to Robanddia

I've tried it several times :( all of it. Closing everything, signing out. Turning phone off then on then signing in. I sign in and only one third of my music is actually on my phone now and then it still won't play sound. I've already reset My phone so I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I'm basically paying $100 a month for music and picture storage and now that money is being thrown away on a phone that can't do anything it's designed to. I'm sick of going to Verizon they keep sending me to replace it for two hundred dollars and I can't afford that right now. Any other suggestions?

Aug 5, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Nemeta

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, make sure it's set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you follow these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact us.

Aug 27, 2015 5:36 AM in response to modular747

Hi, the solution is really simple. Even though the above respondents had the best intentions, those resolutions just take up a lot of time to perform and really don't have anything to do with the issue as described. To resolve this issue, simply go to settings>itunes&app store, tap your apple id, sign out and sign back in. That should resolve your issue.

Aug 27, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Nemeta

Hi Nemeta,

I have been having this issue for a couple days and scoured these posts for the answer. This process worked for me, hopefully you have the same luck.

1. Close all the apps, just in case.

2. Hard reset your phone by pressing the power button and the home button at the same time until your phone turns off and then back on. Once you see the apple logo, you don't have to press the buttons any longer.

3. Open apple music and hopefully actually hear your songs.

Aug 27, 2015 1:42 PM in response to modular747

Sorry you take that personally my friend. I had this very same issue this morning and after quitting the music app and THEN signing out and back in, it worked. I can read perfectly fine by the way. I, too, had signed out and back in while the app was still active and that didn't work for me. Only after quitting the app it magically was resolved.

Apple music plays song but there is no sound - iPhone 5c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.