Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amazon crashing Safari today. Had to force shut down.

I've had Amazon lock up my MBP before. It's been at least a year ago though. Today when it locked up, option command esc wouldn't work I had to hold down the power button to quit. I started in recovery mode and ran Disk Utility (repair disk/permissions). I do that anytime I've had a crash like that. Can't hurt I guess. I shut off my router to keep it from going right back there after I restarted. After a while I went back to their page and gave it some time to load. Same thing.

2009 MBP 10.7.5 Safari 6.1.6

Just curious to see if anyone else has had this happen. Haven't tried another browser yet. Maybe not going to Amazon will save me some money!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 8:10 AM

54 replies

Jul 14, 2017 8:55 AM in response to ajit@apple

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Safari Reset

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Oct 19, 2017 8:20 AM in response to g4s

I know this is an old thread, but for all it matters, it started happening on my late MBP 2008 today as well. Not only frozen, but distorted graphics. For some reason, I suspected the amazon banner. Restarted the computer, visited the amazon home page, five times which led to five identical crashes, and five hard restarts. It only happens with the amazon web page.

I see other people thought their GPU was gone, my thoughts were similar since the graphics were getting distorted.

I checked the HD with disk util, no errors. My computer has been up and running without problem for the last 8 hours or so...

Seems like a corrupted plugin or corrupted safari settings/code/whatever, it should not be causing this much of a havoc, but it does. So here we are, 2017, still happening. I am 99.9% sure it's the amazon's banner...

Aug 6, 2015 12:31 PM in response to g4s

Part of the problem is you are using an oudated OS X 10.7.5 and Safari 6.1.6.

For now see if deleting the cache and cookies helps.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Now, from your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Quit and relaunch Safari then try Amazon.

Upgrading to Yosemite v10 would give you more security and stability.

See if your Mac meets the requirements > How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac

Yosemite is free and available for download from the App Store. That would upgrade your Mac to v10.10.4 and Safari 8.0.7.

Aug 6, 2015 6:13 PM in response to g4s

It's a problem with Java Script. If you go into Safari Pref./Security and uncheck Enable Java Script. The problem goes away, but leaving that unchecked really isn't an option though. Lots of things won't work. Including the reply buttons on these forum pages.

Aug 6, 2015 9:21 PM in response to g4s

I thought it was just me. I go to Amazon just about every day, but both times I have tried to go to the website today, it totally froze my MacBook to the point where I had to hold the power button down to shut it off. I couldn't do anything but move my mouse pointer around. I'm on the the latest version of Safari on 10.10.4

Aug 7, 2015 9:21 AM in response to g4s

This is happening to me with the Amazon website as well. Started late afternoon on 8/6. I'm using OS X Yosemite (10.10.4) and the latest versions of Safari and Firefox. Looks like there is a java script error in the carousel feature on the main page of the Amazon site. Locks up the whole computer and forces a hard reboot. Hopefully they will fix soon.

Aug 7, 2015 6:42 PM in response to g4s

Same issue. I have an early 2009 (9,1) iMac, Yosemite 10.10.4, Safari 8.0.7. Hard restart necessary. Issue does not occur with Firefox or iCab. It also does not occur with my iPad Air, or my Mac Book Air (same version of Yosemite). This must be a change in the Amazon home page. I can get into Amazon via the log-in page, and at least check orders. Hope Amazon fixes this soon. My advice for now is use another browser if possible.

Amazon crashing Safari today. Had to force shut down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.