Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I get the most recent Itunes? Windows 10

Ok so I upgraded to Windows 10 and moved all my music files to where they should be but only SOME of them would sync (weird since they're all together) and I even added a new folder into my iTunes library but it still wouldn't add to my iPhone. So I thought I would uninstall Itunes and reinstall. Well the icon is just the red one like I had before my last iTunes update (the icon is blue and pink) and it says it can't access my iTunes library because a newer version made it, nor will it open iTunes at all! So how and where do I get the newest verion??? All I can find is 12.1.2 ... I thought that was the most recent!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 8, 2015 8:07 AM

22 replies

May 18, 2017 9:16 AM in response to Lady_Vhaira

Thank you for this fix!!! Had a problem after a system restore, I swear I was already running the 64-bit version before though so really can't understand the problem. It seems like an issue on Microsoft's end, and how their System Restore functions.

It doesn't hugely matter to me that I'm now running the 32-Bit version, just the fact that it's working again is the main thing!

Is this something you could look into and/or beat Microsoft with via a stick, as it appears to be reproducable? (The only other thing it could be is I really didn't have the 64-Bit version before, and in the last few days Apple has decided to switch to more bits, which I don't think is the case...)

Nov 23, 2017 9:54 PM in response to hhgttg27

Thank you, who ever you are I truly hope the forces of the universe have been blessing you heavily for your kindness and giving so many solution options. I had to do a complete system restore on my computer, and as a result had to re-download everything. I have spent 4 months unable to update my iPod's library and not being able to access my iTunes library on my computer because of that cursed error, and it has resulted in so many tears, wasted hours on the phone with everyone blaming everyone else and finally the decision I am going to have to replace my laptop. I was just now shopping for a new one online when I typed in (out of habit at this point) a search for this iTunes error. You just saved me over $1500 replacing my laptop, and who knows how many more hours I would have wasted trying to replace it. This fascinates me that I had to use the "older video cards" option, as I actually have a model installed that has only been out for maybe 6 months, but I could care less right now because I am updating my ipod again, and singing your praises for saving me enough dough I can send my mom on a cruise for Christmas this year. Again, thank you, you are a salvation to all of us.

Aug 8, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Lady_Vhaira

The iTunes download pageshould show you the most recent version of iTunes (12.2.1) with the appropriate installer for your edition of Windows. If that page is showing an earlier version, try clearing your browser cache. Otherwise the direct links to the 12.2.1 installers are as follows:

The third of these - which is actually the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer - should be used if you get a warning about video card incompatibility when you install the standard 64-bit version, but also may resolve issues with playback, QuickTime compatibility, and problems with some third-party applications (including Outlook).

Note that "moving all your music files" is, in most cases, a guaranteed way to disrupt iTunes operations. If you find that some or all of your iTunes library is missing after applying an upgrade, see turingtest2's user tip on Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for steps that will allow you to restore it.

If installation issues persist, see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

Aug 8, 2015 8:34 AM in response to hhgttg27

Hoenstly, I just deleted itunes gain, all it's components and my itunes library. I'll just start upgrade via itunes itself and then add everything back into the itunes library. With the Windows 10 upgrade, all older files were placed in a different folder anyways so they had to be moved back into the music folder in order to access them.

Aug 8, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Lady_Vhaira

"With the Windows 10 upgrade, all older files were placed in a different folder anyways"

Strange ... I've upgraded 3 systems to Win10 and haven't seen that happening anywhere - all changes were restricted to the Windows folders on the system drive, neither applications nor data were affected. Where did the upgrade move your media folders from and to?

Aug 9, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Lady_Vhaira

The windows.old folder is used to store files that can be used to roll back from Windows 10 to the previously installed edition. This has nothing to do with iTunes. The location and content of your iTunes library will not have been affected by the upgrade - by default, this will be in C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes.

I suspect that you've experienced an issue reported by some other users, where your iTunes database has been affected by the Windows upgrade process. The previously referenced user tip on Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash should allow you to resolve this.

Aug 9, 2015 12:41 PM in response to hhgttg27

In my experience, if the main files are moved (regardless of the location of the iTunes library folder still being in the same place) then iTunes cannot access them. I know this because I used to use Ext HDs for my music and accidentally plug them into the wrong USB

port.

i still don't have the newest ituses program but the problem with the files is resolved. I deleted the iTunes library folder and loaded all my music back into the program.

Aug 9, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Lady_Vhaira

Yes, iTunes is very sensitive to any changes in media file locations and paths. In some cases, Windows may assign a different drive letter to an external HDD if connected to a different USB port and - unless you have your library in a portable / well-formed layout with the library database and associated files on the same drive as the media folders - iTunes will not be able locate content. In most cases you should aim to have your library - whether on your primary system drive or elsewhere - in this layout, looking like this:

User uploaded file

See turingtest2's user tip on Make a split library portable for more information. Having your library in this layout makes it easier to move between drives, create and maintain a backup, and transfer to a new computer.

Aug 21, 2015 6:42 AM in response to hhgttg27

hhgttg27, I don't quite know what to say here except THANK YOU!!!!!

For 9 months I've been tearing my hair out with this, and tried every possible fix I could find. Even almost 3 hours on the phone with Apple support failed to fix it. Your third link did it. I cannot tell you how ridiculously delighted I am! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! 🙂

Sep 7, 2015 3:01 AM in response to hhgttg27

Thank you!

I was using the Itunes 6464 package and kept getting the Itunes installation error. I had done a reset of Windows 10 and was re-installing all the programs it had deleted. Then I came across another thread that pointed me to your solution and the third option worked perfectly. Now I am able to use iTunes again. Thanks for the great solution.

Why can't I get the most recent Itunes? Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.