Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh Classic boot problems

Hi guys,

I hope that you can fix that problem..

Yesterday, I bought a Macintosh Classic with the keyboard and mouse (ADB). It works but when you turn it on, for the first 10-15 seconds it shows a dark grey screen. After, the screen becomes brighter with the same background and the pointer shows up. I got it running for 15 mins but nothing happened. I also noticed that there was no startup sound. Please help me I am so sad about never seeing this guy running properly. I Tried startup keys such as shift and probably all of these. With shift, an error message came with the sad mac face. I tried to get it back, but it never went back even with other keys. When I turn it on, it stays with the mouse pointer and that gray pattern. I can also move the pointer around.

Cheers,

Sam

Macintosh Classic-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 9:17 AM

33 replies

Aug 10, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Katarak

Hi Sam,

This appears to indicate a hardware problem. Normally, one would hear the startup sound before a grey background and pointer are shown. One should perhaps not rule out that there was a startup sound, but that it does not reach the speaker, or that the speaker is damaged. Is there a sound if you plug in headphones?

Apart from the single error message, was there ever anything else on the screen (such as a floppy icon with a flashing question-mark)? Any sounds (for example, from a hard drive)?

All work inside a compact Mac is dangerous because of the high voltages involved, and must only be performed by someone with the necessary expertise. Charges can remain in certain components/circuits even after the computer has been switched off and disconnected from the mains.

Has the 3.6 V logic board battery been checked? It may not be a bad idea to have boards inspected (using a magnifying glass), Things to look for are bad solder joints, discoloured/cracked components, and leaking electrolytic capacitors.

Jan

Aug 10, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Katarak

Sam,

>I just booted it with my ear-pods and there is the startup sound.

OK. Could be a problem with the switch in the headphone jack, a broken wire, or a faulty speaker.

>I got an error message, it says: 00000003

00006DB6

>The error message says 00000003

0000DFFF

The interesting part would be 0003. This could indicate a failed RAM test. You may want to check an expansion card and memory modules to begin with (remove and reinstall, clean contacts).

Aug 10, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Katarak

Sam,

Could you not ask someone with the necessary knowledge to help you? For safety reasons, please understand that I prefer not to give advice about these matters in a forum like this. If you absolutely wish to do any work yourself, do read about methods and safety procedures first, and learn as much as you can (generally speaking, a lot of information can be found on the Internet through a web search for something like a computer name and "take apart", "repair", etc).

Also, handle fragile SIMM holders with care.

Jan

Aug 10, 2015 5:58 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,
I Took it apart, got the motherboard out and the ram assembly.I tested the 3.6V and it shows 0.7. Do you think that I need to change the battery? If yes, do I need an rechargeable one or an normal one?

Also, The ram seems jammed. I can't take the ram out from the extension thingy. Can you help me with this please?

Thank you,

Sam

Aug 11, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

I went to buy an other battery, placed, put everything back and I got the same problem.

After, this message came on: 00000003 0000FFEF.

Though, when I was typing this, I got it it rebooted and the floppy iron came. The HDD is spinning for like 5 seconds and then it stops. It is always doing that. I am wondering if I could take the HDD out and run it with a floppy. I also got a mac SE, the screen is broken, do you think I could take this HDD? And for the floppy, does a normal one works? And where do I find the OS?

Sam

Aug 11, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Katarak

>After, this message came on: 00000003 0000FFEF.

Could still indicate a failed RAM test. Did the message come back, or did it just happen once? Removing the memory expansion card would leave the computer with only 1 MB of RAM (on the logic board), which could be enough to run tests under System 6 (not System 7). If it works then, that would mean a problem with the card (SIMMs, connector).

>I am wondering if I could take the HDD out and run it with a floppy.

Yes, but a SCSI terminator should be placed where the hard drive cable was connected.

>I also got a mac SE, the screen is broken, do you think I could take this HDD?

In principle, yes, but I do not know whether an old hard drive in the SE possibly could have a height that would not fit inside the Classic (but you will soon find out).

>And for the floppy, does a normal one works?

Do you mean the type of floppy disk to be used in the Macintosh Classic? The Classic can handle both HD diskettes (1.44 MB) and DSDD/2DD (800K), whereas a plain Macintosh SE (not the FDHD variant) only works with DSDD/2DD (800K) diskettes.

>And where do I find the OS?

Do you have access to another (working) pre-1998 Macintosh computer (with a built-in floppy drive)? Any other computers (Mac or PC)?

Aug 11, 2015 6:30 PM in response to Katarak

It is possible to use a Windows machine like that to create bootable Mac floppies from certain Disk Copy disk images. The Network Access 7.5 disk, which can be used as a boot floppy, is one example:

The special procedure requires the use of an appropriate version of Aladdin/StuffIt Expander for Windows in order to decode the .bin (MacBinary) and decompress an intermediate file to begin with.

The stuffit-expander-10-windows.uu from the site below could possibly be OK (see the abstracts text file for details; the uuencode must be decoded before the freeware utility can be installed on a PC): http://archive.info-mac.org/_Compress_&_Translate/

A disk-image utility for PC will also be needed. For example, the shareware utility WinImage 6.10.

Install the programs on the PC.

Prepare an empty PC-formatted 1.44 MB (HD) diskette through the FORMAT A: command in DOS or via the "full" formatting command under Windows. This is important.

Download the Network Access Disk 7.5 .bin file.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

The Windows operating system may truncate the file name. Drag this downloaded file (as it is) onto/into Aladdin/StuffIt Expander. Aladdin/StuffIt Expander should decode the file into an archive (document) called Network Access Disk 7.5, and automatically decompress the latter into a Network Access folder.

Inside the Network Access folder you will find a Read Me document and a file called Network Access.image.

Insert the empty PC-formatted diskette into the PC's floppy drive.

If WinImage is used, drag the Network Access.image onto the program icon. In the WinImage application window, select Write disk (from the Disk menu) or click on the Write disk icon. When the operation is completed, immediately eject the diskette. In order to make this work, it may become necessary to (temporarily) switch off any active anti-virus software.

1.44 MB is not much, so you should really have a working hard drive in the Classic. Floppy disks are best for startup purposes, as tools disks, and for transfers and backup.

Macintosh Classic boot problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.