Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes On Windows 10 - Won't Install

I just updated to Windows 10 today, and I reset my system so it was a "clean install." As I was going to download iTunes again, I quickly noticed that it won't work. I am running 64-bit Windows 10 Home.

User uploaded file

First error that occurs, it happens while the installer is running and it "rolls back" and continues to the next error:

User uploaded file

Second error. Similar to first one except it gives "Abort," "Retry," and "Ignore."

User uploaded file

After selecting "Abort" because "Retry" just throws the same error every time, it says iTunes is installed successfully and when I hit finish to open iTunes, this appears. This happens every time I try to run iTunes afterwords. I have tried uninstalling iTunes and then running the install as Administrator (The user I use on my PC is the Administrator, so I don't understand why I don't have privileges to initiate services)

Please help! I need iTunes later this fall when iOS 9 goes public, I plan to do a clean install then which requires iTunes for the proper restore process.

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 6:07 PM

24 replies

Sep 3, 2015 6:10 AM in response to XTheLancerX

The message "An error occurred during installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, type="win32", version="8.0.50727.6195", publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", processorArchitrcture="amd64" ' " may occur because a particular library file is not included in the distribution package supplied with iTunes. Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update before attempting to reinstall iTunes may help.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

If you've tried the above then see the method in Install missing components. What component fails to install, and what error message does it give? See this post for steps to produce detailed logs of the installation which may reveal why iTunes won't install.

tt2

Sep 3, 2015 6:55 AM in response to turingtest2

Finally !!! I've installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update that you suggested above and also tried the Itunes-64 for older video cards and worked ! I've followed all your instructions such aw clean uninstall,intsalling each component separately with 7-zip but none have worked.. And you said my library and songs are unaffected.. thanks for your help an your quick answer !

Sep 3, 2015 5:50 PM in response to turingtest2

I had already solved my issue before anybody replied, as this thread was up for awhile before it randomly came back to life. All I did was navigate to "Pragram Files (x86), right click, hit properties, and untick the "Read-Only" attribute. Applied the setting to all files contained within Program Files (x86), it said it failed to apply the new attribute to a few files but nonetheless, I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it one last time, just as I had before. Worked perfectly.

Since turingtest2's response seemed to have fixed others issues though, I am going to mark that as the correct answer. If his suggestion fails, try doing what I just mentioned above.

Sep 4, 2015 5:02 AM in response to XTheLancerX

I simply get a message that an error occurred. I have no prior versions of ITunes, all were wiped clean when my computer was updated. I have tried installing from Edge and Firefox. Can anyone help me with a very simple explanation? I have searched for about an hour now through the various help post, and none make any sense at all.... how do I know if I have a 32 bit/64 bit, how do you scan the Program Files?.... etc. All of the answer seem to be for people who have extensive experience in computer-eese, none address this in simple terms. Sorry for this attitude, but there is something seriously wrong when there is nothing to help the 99.9% of us who have no clue and simply pray to God that when we click 'Download' it works. Is there somewhere I could call to have a person help me through this?

Sep 4, 2015 5:45 AM in response to pghcharlie

Have a look inside C:\ using File Explorer. If you see a Program Files (x86) folder then you have 64-bit Windows. The (x86) folder is where 32-bit software is supposed to be installed on your system,

What is the exact error message you get when you try to install iTunes? Perhaps I can help clarify some of the suggestions in the Troubleshooting tip for you once there is a clearer picture of your issue.

tt2

Sep 4, 2015 2:43 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your help.... I see the x86 on Program Files..... When I start the download, I get a few messages, as it proceeds along... then I get then one of those long bars that normally goes across the screen showing download progress, it never records anything and I get a very simple box:

ITunes Installer Completed

Errors occurred during installation before Itunes could be configured

Your system has not been modified. To complete the installation, run the installer again.

Click finish to exit the installer.

Sep 4, 2015 3:51 PM in response to pghcharlie

Start with the second box of the user tip and work through the steps methodically. See the notes below for more information. Feel free to ask questions back here.

Since you have a 64-bit system you can try the alternate iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) if the main 64-bit version won't install, or work through the method in Install missing components.

tt2

Sep 5, 2015 8:54 AM in response to turingtest2

The help in the second box seems to apply if I already have itunes somewhere on the computer, it was completely wiped off.

I have tried the 'old" version install, get the exact message as before.

The missing components article appears to be written for a programmer or someone who has extensive knowledge of this stuff.... I got lost by the beginning of the 2nd sentence

I may have to resign myself that I have lost Itunes completely on my computer and now can only back to a cloud thing

Sep 5, 2015 9:05 AM in response to pghcharlie

In the second box start from the sentence: "Delete any of the following folders where they can be found:"

Disable any AV software that you have, and when you've downloaded the installer try ctrl and/or right clicking on it and use the Run as Administrator option if it appears.

If you still cannot get iTunes installed I can walk you through Install missing components if you want.

tt2

iTunes On Windows 10 - Won't Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.