Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an ATT iPhone 6 on Verizon's network? If so, How?

I was told by a cell phone repair company that I could pay to have my ATT iPhone 6 unlocked so it could be used on my Verizon account. Is this true? If so, then how do I go about doing this?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 11, 2015 1:02 PM

43 replies

Jun 3, 2017 1:49 PM in response to aturboz

My iPhone 6s Plus was on Verizon for two days. I paid it off through T-Mobile, they unlocked it, and Verizon wireless sent me a SIM card. I ported my number. I decided to go back to T-Mobile because my iPhone would only see 2 bars at home and three bars on US-441. Rarely did I see 4/5 bars. Some people say that they don't trust t-mobile's 5 bar signal but when anything -100+ db is bad how can anything less than 3 on any service be good. TMO gave me 4/5 at home. Some people claim all iPhones are equal. I doubt that because if that were true than I should see equivalent service, especially with the so called best coverage in America -Verizon #GoMagenta

Jun 3, 2017 3:32 PM in response to pfjms001

pfjms001 wrote:

Some people claim all iPhones are equal. I doubt that because if that were true than I should see equivalent service, especially with the so called best coverage in America -Verizon #GoMagenta

You will only see equivalent service under identical conditions. If you were an identical distance from identical towers for both carriers, you would see the same service. It's more than possible that TMobile has a cell tower closer to where you were. Just because a carrier may have overall, the best coverage in the entire country doesn't mean they have the best coverage everywhere. Which is why you should always pick the carrier that works the best in the areas you frequent.

Jun 3, 2017 5:26 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sounds logical, but how do I know it's not my iPhone. Like I said I'd briefly see 5 bars in my bathroom and in the kitchen but most of the time 2 bars. When I'm on US-441 I pass by a cellular antenna. All services rent off those antennas and I average 3 bars with Verizon. Every time I turn on airplane mode for 5 seconds and turn it off I'd see 5 bars for minute or so before it drops to two. Same goes when I reset network settings. My school ***** all around when it comes to getting signal. With Verizon I get 3 outside when with T-Mobile I get 4. I drive by both Verizon and T-Mobile stores. Maybe it's towers maybe it isn't. But I had to go back to T-Mobile after two days because I wasn't going to wait 30 days to upgrade or feel like I need to upgrade to get a phone from Verizon which may or may not give me better signal.

Jun 3, 2017 5:43 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

My problem is that I was hoping so much for Verizon to work. I wanted not to feel like I had buyers remorse. Yeah, that doesn't make sense to buy a T-Mobile iPhone just to try Verizon, when why not just buy a Verizon iPhone. I've heard that new iPhones come with two different chips. AT&T model has intel and Verizon has Qualacomm. I've heard that Verizon iPhones can go anywhere meanwhile ones bought from T-Mobile and AT&T can't go to cdma networks. Anyway I'm not hear to troll, just to say that yes a iPhone from AT&T will work on Verizon using a SIM card but that for me it bothered me that my signal quality was lower than I'm used to.

Jun 3, 2017 5:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I just paid off my T-Mobile version of iPhone 6s+ in May. I didn't want to start another 24 month contract. Because I just started Verizon I'd have to put up with it for 30 days before being allowed to upgrade. I'm college student till October working part time on work study. I just can't go buy a new iPhone. One day I may want to try Verizon again but this time it will be an iPhone through them.

Jun 4, 2017 12:57 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Just to bring it full circle: The AT&T store said my phone was carrier locked and it couldn't be used on another carrier. (they also said that AT&T and Sprint were both GSM networks, so I took it all with a grain of salt)

The Sprint store said that it my AT&T iPhone 6 would not connect to band 41, but it definitely would work on Sprint's network. They put in a sim, and we unlocked the phone using AT&T's site.

Works great. So, just know that you *can* take an AT&T iPhone 6 and move it to the Sprint network.

Jun 4, 2017 1:53 PM in response to Groves

Never doubted it. Mine worked, although I don't know if my lack of good db numbers was due to my phone or towers. It just seems strange that I've had AT&T, T-Mobile with no issues of signal, but Verizon, which is established, I did. I even had Sprint briefly with HTC Evo and don't remember any signal issues, although I wasn't with a iPhone. I know GSM is different than CDMA. iPhones should work regardless. One reason for upgrading every couple of years is that cellular companies add frequencies and your phone won't have them. For my iPhone to require a sim to use CDMA is interesting since CDMA don't use SIM cards. So not every iPhone is created equal. If my iPhone had chip that excepted both then why not add my IMEI to their system. Maybe they could but didn't want to. Anyway I'm glad it's working for you. I wish I received good signal so That i could've make a fair accessment on Verizon's service.

Nov 16, 2017 3:16 PM in response to aturboz

Yes it works and as of Nov 2017 My Android S5 from Verizon was finished after 4 years , I took my sons I- phone 6 Plus which was AT&T to the Verizon store where they replaced the correct sim for FREE and I was up and working in 5 mins.. They had to give me a new sim because my Samsung sim was to large and the Apple takes the smaller sim card.. I was told this works for all 6 and above phones. Saved me hundreds of $$$.....Went from AT&T to Verizon..

Dec 3, 2017 4:57 PM in response to borregaurd

Not with automated assumption cowboy . iPhones 6 and 6+ were the only ever iPhones in the iPhone‘s history thus far, that were released with both CDMA and GSM radios. However, mos recently, I have switched from AT&T to Verizon and successfully activated my iPhone X, that I purchased from AT&T store the day of the preorder.

Before i I even thought about the switch, I checked the phone compatibility at Verizon website. The results were as follows: CONGRATULATIONS, YOUR DEVICE IS WORKING ON VERIZON NETWORK. Then there was another message saying IPHONE X, NON VERIZON, CDMA LESS. Meaning, that it doesn’t have the CDMA built in. What it does however, it purely relies on the LTE network, which is the most common and popular network that most or all major cellular service providers use. In other words if the areas are not covered by LTE network, then my phone’s Receiption will dwindle and eventually go kaput in that juncture, until I find a spot that is covere by LTE. The reason why Verizon is a more reliable service than AT&T, because of its dual system. CDMA and LTE. However, ones the new iPhone comes out next year, I’ll be buying a Verizon version of the iPhone. I do have iPhone 6 + and is completely compatible with Verizon, supporting both CDMA and LTE. If you read the iPhone 6 specs you’ll find it there, that it does have both technology built in, whether it‘s the AT&T version or Verizon version.

It it was a surprise for me too, when I found out that Verizon will activate iPhone X, after all that beef , they were claiming that AT&T version of iPhone X will not work on Verizon. And rightfully so, due to the lack of major factors and compatibility. Although I don’t have any problems with my iPhone X on Verizon, but even if I do somewhere down the road, then I’ll get the Verizon version of iPhone X, and sell my AT&T version. Either way I’ll be just fine. Besides, Verizon gives us $200 Visa card for each compatible phone you bring in from other carriers. So that’s total of $400, which will eas compensate any losses sustained during the switch.

Dec 3, 2017 5:16 PM in response to B99G51

Great reply and full of technical info.. When my Android crapped out with Verizon service my son gave me his 6+ from AT&T and with a free sim card from Verizon I was up and running with compete service in minutes with complete CDMA and LTE.

The only issue is I did not get a free $200 gift certificate probably due to I was already with Verizon..

Dec 3, 2017 5:58 PM in response to JohnWvideo

Yes, unfortunately that ought to be the case, because on the brochure says when you switch from another carrier and bring in your own device. and i was lucky, when I went there last Friday, the guy that was helping me told me they just posted the promotion within minutes while I was trying to unlock my iPhone X, which was another dilemma, that AT&T locked the phone, although I paid the full retail price, and no commitment whatsoever. When I tried to unlock it by following the AT&T unlocking portal online, the email confirmation I received after submitted online, saying that my device was flagged for a fraud. Really AT&T? Is that how desperate are you trying to keep the customers around by binding them to your tricky terms and conditions? Well, it took me another 55 minuets on the phone, talking to a live customer service rep, who put me on hold, then he dropped the call without attending the call not ones, during the 55 minuets hold. Had to call back and requested a supervisor. The rep asked me if I would at least give him a chance to resolve the issue? I said why not, as long as you too don’t put me on hold for another 55 minuets or more. So luckilay he built a case for approval, then waited 3 days until I’ve got the unlocking approval email, then managed to unlock it.

I thought it’d Be helpful for those, that might encounter the same or similar problems, should know what’s going on.

I would suggest, if anyone wishes to unlock their phones with AT&T, to do so first request the unlocking then insert the SIM card of another carrier. Else AT&T automated system might register that SIM card as if was an attempt to activate a stolen phone. It’s a little trick, that AT&T can use to its favor claiming that they care for their customers so much, that they flagged the phone for fraud. A family care and concern by AT&T. I’m glad I’ve broken away from AT&T, even though I was saving $35 for combined service. Peace of mind is more valuable than $35. 😂

Dec 3, 2017 6:46 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Why would anyone bother to report the phone stolen? I’m the sole owner of the phone, and just got it without commitment, paid in full. How would you know, that is not AT&T tricks? I’ve been with AT&T since 2007 and seen many things that is unprofessional in a giant business field.

If that was the case, they wouldn’t unlock it would they? Or simply they wouldn’t go ahead and file a relese request if it was reported stolen. If anyone, still the suspicion is falling upon the AT&T. But before I’ve submitted an unlock request, I had inserted a Verizon SIM card and the system rejected to accept the SIM card , saying that an unauthorized SIM card from another carrier was used, and that an activation was required.

<Edited by Host>

Aug 11, 2015 1:15 PM in response to aturboz

Do not pay a company to unlock your iPhone. The only one that can legitimately unlock it is your carrier. If you have fulfilled your contract or payment of the iPhone, then AT&T will unlock it for you without any problems. The AT&T iPhone is GSM based and Verizon is CDMA so I don't believe you could take it to Verizon. You could use it on T-Mobile. However, Verizon probably has an offer of some sort to get you to move to their network if you trade in your old iPhone to them.

If you go through someone other than your carrier, often these are scams and can potentially harm your device to the point of bricking it completely.

Aug 11, 2015 1:54 PM in response to aturboz

AT&T will unlock the phone if you meet their conditions. Anything else is a hack.

It may be possible to get it to work on Verizon's LTE network, however, Verizon will not support it. Some features will not work properly, and it will not function at all if you leave the LTE coverage area as you will not get any service on their CDMA network.

If you want to use Verizon, you need to buy a phone sold specifically for use on Verizon.

Can I use an ATT iPhone 6 on Verizon's network? If so, How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.