Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 Fails To Shut Down my Late 2013 Mac Pro

I upgraded Windows 8.1 installed under Bootcamp on my Late 2013 Mac Pro to Windows 10 and installed the latest Bootcamp support software for Windows 10 recently provided by Apple. Both the upgrade and the installation of the Bootcamp support software occurred with no errors and both went fully to completion. Windows 10 runs fine on my Late 2013 Mac Pro and all is well until I try to either shut down or restart this Mac Pro. When I select Shutdown or restart in Windows 10 all of my external drives and other USB devices shut down properly and my monitor turns off as it should. However, my Late 2013 Mac Pro remains on as indicated by yhe white power light on the rear remaining lighted and I have to press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds to turn off the computer, and then press it again to restart in OS X. This occurs only when trying to restart or shutdown in Windows 10. When I am using OS X, I have no problems restarting or shutting down this system. I also have Windows 10 running under Parallels 10 and I have no problem in Parallels shutting down or restarting Windows 10. The failure to shutdown properly only occurs when running Windows 10 via Bootcamp.

I would be most appreciative of any help that you can provide to me, and I thank you in advance for your help.

Tom

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 1 TB PCIe Flash, W700, 64 GB ram

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2015 7:31 PM

Can you check Device Manager for any missing drivers? Are you able to successfully switch between OS X and Windows using System Preferences -> Startup Disk and Control Panel -> System -> Bootcamp properly?

34 replies

Aug 15, 2015 1:47 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi Tom,

I'm seeing the same thing on my 2013 Mac Pro. I have done some research so far, but not found a solution. I also have the hang when rebooting (hangs with screens off), and sleep (doesn't wake) in Windows 10.

Some information:

• After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (using Bootcamp 5 Build 5640, which was not supported in Windows 10), no proper graphics drivers were installed, but no problems rebooting / shutting down.
  • After upgrading to Bootcamp 6, the above problems occur (consistently).
  • Uninstalling all Bootcamp 6 drivers from the control panel, the problem goes away.
  • A clean install of Windows 10 with Bootcamp 6 (so no upgrading of Windows or Bootcamp drivers) has the same problems.
  • Resetting the PRAM and the SMC controller doesn't help.

So the culprit is probably one of the Bootcamp 6 drivers, but I cannot really be asked to bisect all the drivers to figure out which one is the culprit.

I have contacted AppleCare and they have escalated the case. It might be worthwhile contacting them as well and mentioning the case number 861580451 so they have more data points.

Aug 15, 2015 4:44 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi TomWheel and [maven]

Same here!

I'm using Windows 10 and Bootcamp 6 driver on my Mac Pro Late 2013 with FirePro D500 GPU.

My machine cannot restart/shutdown. When I try it I see everything is off, exclude power light and fans.

So I have tested GPU driver and now I know exactly this problem is about GPU driver.

You need open AMD FirePro Control Center ---> Performance --- > AMD CrossFireX.

Just Disable AMD CrossFireX and the machine can be restart/shutdown normal.

I have chat with some guys on the Apple Chat Support and let them know.

Now I hope they will update Bootcamp soon.

PS: sorry, my english not good

Aug 15, 2015 5:52 AM in response to brianrogers

Many thanks to all who responded with their advice and suggestions and special thanks to Brianrogers for giving me the solution to my problem. I had literally spent days trying to solve this problem without success including doing all the things that [maven] so nicely listed. I had carefully checked every single driver in Windows 10 to be sure that I had the correct and latest drivers, etc. None of these addressed the problem. I had even explored all the options in the AMD FirePro Control Center and noticed that AMD CrossFire was enabled by default, but I did not explore turning it off. I should have because the dual Firepro 700 graphics cards installed in my Late 2013 Mac Pro do not support Crossfire as one graphics card is used for supporting the Thunderbolt display and one for other graphical purposes. The minute I disabled Crossfire, my Asus PQ321 32 in. 4K display turned off and I had to unplug the Thunderbolt cable at the Mac Pro and reinsert it. The display came to life with some Windows sounds, and then I clicked on "restart" and the Mac Pro restarted, as desired, under OS X with no problems.

Brianrogers thank you thank you thank you for your help, and please no apology is necessary for your English. Your instructions were precise and perfect in solving the problem. [maven] thank you for taking the time to summarize everything you had tried and letting me know that I was not alone in having this problem shutting down my Late 2013 Mac Pro. You folks represent the very best in the Apple Support Forums.

Tom

Aug 15, 2015 11:44 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi Tom

Thank you for fast responsive and let me know.

I think this dual GPU will work fine with AMD CrossFireX mode but the Bootcamp 6 driver have some bugs.

Because on Windows 8.1 I see it's not happened with CrossFireX mode enabled.

So I think we need to report this problems to Apple's Engineer Team and let them know to fix it.

Anyway... I hope Apple will fix it soon.

Aug 15, 2015 5:42 PM in response to brianrogers

Brian,

You make a good point that CrossFire mode worked in Windows 8.1 with the Bootcamp 5 drivers so your suggestion that we indicate to the Apple Engineering Team that the Bootcamp 6 driver does not work with CrossFire enabled is worth pointing out to them. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic that this will be fixed, but one can always hoe for the best.

Thank you again for all your help.

Tom

Aug 19, 2015 5:36 AM in response to jmoye

Yes, same for me as well, FiraPro D300, Mac Pro (late 2013). Total ignorance from AMD to support hi-end user. I've got a response from AMD forum when I raised this issue - "You will need to contact Applecare or Bootcamp support for help with this issue." Apple will say we do not support Windows, on MAC OSX there is no problems - so here we have it.

Aug 23, 2015 9:53 PM in response to TomWheel

Tom,

Same here, 8 cores, D 700,

The problem seems to be when you upgrade to Windows 10, as Microsoft has opted for a compulsory update download and automatic install of all softwares updates, they feel should be on your machine,

The glitches appears on the apple machine as AMD Driver Auto detect seems to think as you have a D700 and Windows 10 it needs to install the latest (June 15) AMD Driver made for a Windows computer, when this driver install in the background without you knowing it, the troubles start,

However if you are patient and wait 30 minutes or so the program shut down by itself,

Here is a solution that work for me: went to the AMD website, Drivers Download page, then download on your window side (Bootcamp C) the driver made specially for Apple BootCamp this is an older one (December 13 0r so) then open and instead of install click on remove all AMD drivers from this computer, after this is finished use you USB fat 32 to reinstall BootCamp 6 from Apple it will say repair BootCamp click and voila back to normal

But this problem is bound to happen again to stop it:

Read: https:// support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

You have to download a program that allow to do this: " wushowhide.diagcab" launch and follow instructions it allows you to stop the updates you don't want to install and prevent any AMD drivers to install themselves automatically, the only AMD drivers that work with Apple hardware and Windows 10 are from BootCamp 6, the old AMD drivers made specially for Apple BootCamp work well with Windows 8.1

This is how I solved the 30 minutes hangup, but others solutions may work better when all the bugs are ironed out.

Naz,

Windows 10 Fails To Shut Down my Late 2013 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.