Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 thunderbolt display not working

I had upgraded my late 2013 MacBook Pro to Windows 10. The Bluetooth driver didn't work, but just about everything else did. I just updated Boot Camp and now my Thunderbolt display is not recognized by Windows. I've reinstalled the Boot Camp 6 update, rebooted, etc. No joy. Anyone encountered / solved this issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Other OS

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 1:38 PM

22 replies

Aug 18, 2015 6:33 PM in response to DrDroop

DrDroop wrote:

USB and Ethernet on the TB Display work in Boot Camp.

Clarification question.

a. Windows is running, you plug the TB cable in. Are you saying USB ports and Ethernet ports are live and usable and Display does not work?

b. Windows is down, plug the TB monitor cable, boot and/or switch to Windows, and USB and Ethernet work, but the Display does not?

Aug 18, 2015 8:45 PM in response to DrDroop

DrDroop wrote:

a. If i plug in the TB display after booting, nothing works.

This is expected since Bootcamp drivers do understand the TB hot-plug.

b. If i boot to windows with TB inserted, USB and Ethernet work but display does not.

This indicates a problem with the Graphics driver, not the TB driver. What GPU do you have? 13-in is Intel-only, but 15-in is Intel/nVidia GT750m. What are the GPU driver versions?

Sep 2, 2015 5:21 AM in response to Loner T

MacBook Pro 15 Retina is a 2015 model. I could not get WIN7 boot camp to work at all and found out the 2015's dropped WIN7. So I went with WIN10 and it works fine, except for the TB display. Don't have any other need for TB, so not sure how to verify. Plus first Mac ever, so not Mac peripherals to test.

It looks like others have trouble with TB display in WIN10. But as on this thread, were able to get it to work.

I Updated the Boot Camp drivers with BCA two times, with no luck.

Scott

Sep 2, 2015 5:50 AM in response to IrishScot

Run the same test as DrDroop and check if Ethernet or USB or FW on the TB display work or not. Since you have a 15in, we may need to check the drivers. Do you have any unknown devices in Windows Device Manager? Was your W10 an upgrade or a clean install?

Please also see

Apple Thunderbolt Adapters: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

1. Are Thunderbolt devices “hot pluggable” using Windows with Boot Camp?

Thunderbolt hot plug is supported under Windows 8 or 8.1 on all 2014 and later Mac computers.

For all other Mac computers, Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 scans and activates Thunderbolt devices connected to Thunderbolt ports only during the Windows startup process. If your device was not plugged in at start up, Windows will not detect it without a restart.

Sep 6, 2015 10:13 AM in response to DrDroop

I have iMac 27 inch w/Retina. I installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp.

I added an external monitor (Toshiba TV Monitor which works fine as a secondary monitor with Mac OS X on this iMac 27 w/Retina).

The external monitor is simply NOT recognized in Windows 10. I rebooted with it plugged in, etc. I attempted to install a new WIndows driver for the AMD graphics card, etc.

The weird thing is, I had a 21.5 inch iMac for a week (I took it back and upgraded to the 27 inch). During that week, I had windows 10 installed on it and the same external monitor worked fine, in both Mac OS X Yosemite and Windows 10. For real.

My conclusion is, one of two things is going on:

1) The 27 inch iMac w/Retina's AMD graphics card is the issue (as it is the only difference in the scenarios), or

2) One must have the external monitor hooked up and on while preparing and installing the Windows 10 installation. In other words, maybe Thunderbolt itself is not recognized because nothing was hooked to it while running Boot Camp Assistant. But I be damned if I'm going to reinstall Windows 10 again.

Any way to tell under Windows 10 if Thunderbolt is working? I have no other Thunderbolt peripherals to try.

Sep 6, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Loner T

It is connected via the TB-to-HDMI. Again, the monitor works as expected under Mac OS X on this computer, just not in Windows 10... And it worked under windows 10 and a different iMac 21.5 inch. Mine is a 27 inch retina.

As for the SMC reset... isn't that achieve simply by powering down, unplugging from the wall for a 15 seconds, then plugging in for 15 seconds, then powering up? Done that. And the same to the monitor. And the monitor is on during a boot up directly to Windows 10.

As for the NVRAM reset... can that harm my computer other than me losing time-zone, monitor resolution, etc? It's a new iMac. lol. It's my baby.

Windows 10 thunderbolt display not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.