Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 keeps crashing using Bootcamp

Today i decided to install Windows 10 using Bootcamp. All went well and setup went smoothly. Once Windows 10 was installed, I installed the Support Software which I downloaded from the Bootcamp Assistant.

Now since installing the Support Software, Windows 10 has been crashing within the first few minutes (if even that) of starting up. Now and again, a black and white zig zag pattern will appear on screen. I'm no expert but because of this, I'm thinking this could be a graphics driver problem?

I'm also wondering if the Support Software I downloaded is up to date. Bootcamp Assistant says that it will download the latest version, but I'm still doubtful whether it's an up to date version and if I'd be better off downloading it from the Apple website.

I have a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15-inch running Yosemite 10.10.3

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor

10 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB Graphics

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 2:29 PM

26 replies

Aug 19, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Wells190

I'm having a similar problem.

2010 Mac Pro tower with non-EFI gfx card.

Windows 7 happily updated to Windows 10. Used it for a couple of weeks, until I decided to re-install the Bootcamp software so I could scroll on my Apple Magic Mouse.

Now it will give me a 😟 sad face BSOD after a minute or two. Incredibly, Windows 10 didn't make a system restore point for me to roll back to, so I am not sure what my next step is. Hopefully, I can get safe mode working.

Aug 19, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Loner T

At the moment I can't get Windows 10 to even start up. The logo appears but after that, just a black screen and after a while it looks as if my screen has turned off completely and I'm forced to hold down the power button to restart.

Yesterday I looked in Device Manager and under Display Adapters, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter was disabled. I don't know what that is, but could that be the problem? I downloaded the missing driver but as it installed, Windows 10 crashed.

Aug 19, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Wells190

If W10 cannot detect a GPU, it will fall back to a generic Display driver. W10 safe mode should still work, even if Windows does not fully boot. Please see

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on- 64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

You can use the same method (Shift or Fn+Shift) to get to Windows Safe Mode remove/install drivers.

Aug 19, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Wells190

I have the same problems.

I have a macbook pro mid-2012 with Nvida graphics option.

On mine, I wasn't able to download bootcamp 6 as I don't even have OSX on my machine at all, so I had to use an older version of bootcamp driver support initially. I was hoping the most drivers would work, at least for network cards so I could update them to the latest versions via windows update.

The bootcamp driver support would crash the video upon installing the Nvida drivers as this was the first or second thing it does. I was running into the screen blacking out issue you had mentioned. Booting into safe mode (SHIFT+F8 worked for me) yielded no results in repairing. I ended up having to re-install windows several times. I created restore points before making any major driver change and that has been working to go back after I crash something.

I hooked up the computer via hardwire to the internet, and windows update seemed to update my Nvidia graphics card properly so my started working for the most part.

To install the rest of the software (mainly the bootcamp assistant software, since it won't let you install as "stand alone"....), I had to manipulate the bootcamp installaton source folder. I had to remove any program the computer was hanging up on/rebooting/locking up.

I removed the intel graphics card files, the Nvidia files, mainly.

This allowed me to fully install the bootcamp assistant software. Upon running apple software update, it was then finally updated to bootcamp 6! That really didn't fix anything though.

After all of that, I still have no audio. I believe the audio is related to the intel graphics somehow. It seems whenever I try to update that driver (which is disabled?) it looks like it is trying to install something audio related. The computer just starts bootlooping after this though no matter what I do. I even downloaded the driver update software directly from Intel and tried.

I figured I could at least use the computer without audio, but then I found out whenever the screen blanks/sleep mode, upon waking the computer I get the zig zag too and the computer has to be force restarted!

I can't believe how bad the driver support is for Windows on this machine. I had to jump through similar hoops of fire for Windows 8.1 as well regarding video driver installation. It has always been a struggle trying to run Windows on this Mac, I will never do it again.

If anybody on here has a work around to make this work, please let me know. I have spent about 10 hours so far trying to make this computer work with Windows 10 now.

Aug 19, 2015 4:05 PM in response to npavlo

It got to the point for me that I couldn't even get as far as my desktop, so I've just deleted the partition and installed Windows 10 again. After I'd installed the support software, a notification popped up saying that a Nvidia update was available. It took me to the Nvidia website for me to download the Windows 10 driver, it hadn't done all of this first time around.

Only problem is now is that when trying to install the update, it's interrupted with a message saying that it couldn't continue because the Found New Hardware Wizard is open. As far as I can see, it's not open. Does anyone know how I can find Found New Hardware Wizard? I've tried searching for it in the Start Menu but couldn't find it.

But if I can manage to install the Nvidia update, i'm sure that would fix my problem. Like you npavlo, I'm also having audio problems.

Aug 20, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Wells190

I had the same problem. I had to start my install with 5.1 something because I don't have working version of OSX on my machine at all. They want you to create a bootable USB from Yosemite/Bootcamp6.

I feel like Windows update should find all the drivers though (or run compatibility mode). After getting bootcamp to fully installed on my computer, I ran the apple software update application and it actually updated my Windows bootcamp to 6 anyways. That didn't fix anything though.

It seems my graphics is running in 16 bit mode (shading is off). It is still real half *** and a huge disappointment. I have a 8 page blog I am writing on how these machines cannot be used for Windows functions. It has NEVER worked right with ANY version of Windows. I would have never bought this hardware if I wasn't continuously reassured Windows would function normally.

Mine was crashing after a few min as well. I think what windows update is doing is trying to update your intel graphics card.

Try to find it in device manager right after it starts up and disable it. Maybe that will fix your problem. That is how I have been limping mine along.

Aug 21, 2015 8:01 AM in response to npavlo

I ran Windows update yesterday and it said there was an update available for Nvidia (even though i thought I was updated) and for something else, can't remember what it was. Trouble is, it doesn't give me enough time to install the updates as it keeps crashing and it's not possible in Safe Mode as I don't have an internet connection in SM.

I'm not sure if there's a way to connect to the internet in Safe Mode. I'm starting to think I should install W10 again and just install the Nvidia drivers from Windows Support, then run Windows update, update the Nvidia drivers and install all the other drivers after. I'm still not 100% on what is causing the crashes but it only happens once I've installed all of the drivers. I installed JUST the Nvidia drivers before and there was no crashing. I don't know where to find my intel graphics card in device manager, it's not there.

Windows 10 keeps crashing using Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.