Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is BRCM-LVG under shared? Is my computer being hacked?

Recently, a PC device called brcm-lvg has been showing up on my network in the finder sidebar under sharing.

It started showing up around the time that I upgraded to Yosemite, V 10.10.4. This could just be coincidence.

I have no idea what this device is and a Google search returns unhelpful results. After upgrading to Yosemite, I noticed my Firewall had been turn off. When it's turned off, it says I'm connected to the "brcm-lvg" device as a guess. This device contains one empty folder called "Shared." How could I possibly be connected to this device if I never connected myself to it?

When I turn the firewall on, the mysterious device says the Connection Failed. However, I can't remove the device from the sidebar at all. Even when I press the eject button, it stays there.

What is this "brcm-lvg" device? Is my computer being hacked?

Thank you for your help

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 11:08 AM

46 replies

Jan 9, 2017 12:24 PM in response to cbg2115

Hey all,

I just had the same thing happen after receiveing a new Technicolor router from TWC this am. Here is a link to the manual for that particular device that explains that the "brcm-lvg" is simply a media sharing platform from the USB ports on the back of your router. Hope this helps.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/933809/Technicolor-Tc8717c.html?term=brcm-lvg& page=50#manual

Apr 29, 2017 6:29 AM in response to cbg2115

Yeah weird that so many people have encountered this. I just wanted to add my two cents. I had the exact same problem with an Aaris router, 3 Ubee and a technicolor but I typically only see the attached PC immediately after wiping and reinstalling my operating system. I'm not sure how that's related other than the firewall is off by default (a real genius must have thought of that one). My router are all cable telephony ones that do internet and a landline in one device.

I'd also like to add that the "master password" for the Aaris modem is widely available for a number of modems including the one time Warner provided me for a number of years the TG1672. There's a whole separate advanced section meant for TW installers/techs and the password to access it is T!M3W4RN3RC4B13 something like that so that the tech doesn't have to think too hard and can easily remember the password. An installer told me that's how all of the TW arris routers work and thats why they like them. Anyway apparently its a 5 second brute force password hack and they can do whatever they want on your computer. TW and AppleCare both had no idea what any of that meant or pretended not to.

I think its somehow related to a whole bunch of "unknown" extensions in /Library/Extensions and kext with "????" architecture when running kextstat -a -s command. Linc Davis said some of these extensions is /Library/Extensions are a "corruption" very clearly when someone asked about them but they're installed on my recovery partition which I'm assuming is the EFI too?

Aug 12, 2017 11:57 AM in response to cbg2115

I absolutely have the answer for you.

As others have suggested, this definitely is a feature of your Time Warner Cable modem.

The reasons why I am 99.9% certain, is that (A) the MAC address for my "Brcm Lvg" is identical for the first eight characters (the first four two-character pairs) as my TWC router; and (B) both my TWC router and my "Brcm Lvg" indicate that they are made by the same company (Technicolor CH USA Inc).

Accordingly, and as there are no other unknown devices on my network that could be the "Brcm Lvg", it absolutely is some sort of feature of the TWC router.

Aug 19, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have a Technicolor modem with a built in router that Time Warner Cable recently installed. It has usb ports, but nothing is attached to them. The only thing coming out of the modem/router is the coaxial cable and the power adapter. This device is what's sending the wifi signal to my computer. It is password protected.

Does this answer your question when you ask whether a hard drive is connected to the router? if it doesn't I will do my best to further elaborate. Thankyou for your help

Aug 20, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello,

I was not able to access my Admin page directly but called Time Warner Cable to ask them. They said that only two devices were connected - my laptop and my phone. However, the device BRCM-LVG wasn't present in the finder under shared when I called. I have not seen it show up since I turned on my firewall and disabled all sharing

However, I am still curious as to what this device was, and would like to figure it out in case it reappears again

What is BRCM-LVG under shared? Is my computer being hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.