Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to forward text message to email address

Using an iphone 6+, how do I forward an existing text message to an email address?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 9:14 AM

I had this happen to me too, I turned off iMessage

Apparently iMessage links your phone number and your email address together so when you want to forward a text message from your phone to an email address (if both are linked together via iMessage), it sends it back to your phone as a text message instead of to your email account where you wanted it to go.

Apple ***** !!

They put in so many garbage features which do something you don't want to do because they believe they know better what we want to do.

I have an iPhone (company issue) and an Android (personal).

Between the two, the Android is far superior. And more logical. Given a choice, I would dump the iPhone.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2017 9:14 AM in response to Brooklyndeb

I had this happen to me too, I turned off iMessage

Apparently iMessage links your phone number and your email address together so when you want to forward a text message from your phone to an email address (if both are linked together via iMessage), it sends it back to your phone as a text message instead of to your email account where you wanted it to go.

Apple ***** !!

They put in so many garbage features which do something you don't want to do because they believe they know better what we want to do.

I have an iPhone (company issue) and an Android (personal).

Between the two, the Android is far superior. And more logical. Given a choice, I would dump the iPhone.

Aug 13, 2017 11:56 AM in response to RajendraGursahaney

RajendraGursahaney, your response makes no sense.

RajendraGursahaney wrote:

... so when you want to forward a text message from your phone to an email address (if both are linked together via iMessage), it sends it back to your phone as a text message

You are talking about forwarding an iMessage from your iPhone to an email address. Forwarding an iMessage will, of course, result in an iMessage, not an email! (If you happen to forward an iMessage to a non-Apple cellular telephone, it would show up there as an SMS text message.)

An email address used in an iMessage context does not imply the person would receive the message using email. It is simply another way of addressing the iMessage recipient.

If you wish to send an iMessage to an email account, as forwarding an iMessage to an email service is not possible, find some other method, such as taking screen shots of the iMessage and sending those via email.

Aug 13, 2017 1:06 PM in response to sberman

Sberman

Unfortunately I don't agree. It used to work before. Let me explain.

My work colleagues mostly communicate with me via email. I maintain all emails related to a topic in an outlook folder, one folder per topic.

Once in a while they will communicate via text message.

Previously I used to forward the text message from my iPhone to my work email address (it used to arrive as an attachment) and then when received, I would file that away in the same folder to maintain continuity of the dialog.

That capability is now lost.

There was a time when I could hold down a text message, More..., forward (right pointing arrow) and in the address box that came up, if I entered my full email address it got transmitted to my email account.

Now, irrespective whether I enter my phone number or my email address it gets transmitted to my iMessage.

On an Android, if you forward a message to your email account, it goes to your email as an attachment. If you forward to your phone number, it goes to your message account as it should.

Oct 14, 2017 3:40 PM in response to sberman

I used to be able to do it until I updated to 11.0.3. Now I can no longer forward a text as an email on the device that I updated (iPhone 7). I can still forward text messages via email using the way described above email when I use my iPad because I refused to update it. I don't want this device screwed up like my iPhone. I wish I had never downloaded the new update to my phone.

Dec 5, 2016 7:47 PM in response to digital-moose

i have an iPhone 6s+ and have been forwarding text messages that I want to save to my yahoo email address forever. I did just as what was stated above. Press and hold what I wanted to send. Check all the messages I wanted to send, typed in my email and his the send arrow. It worked perfectly until 6 days ago when it stopped sending them! This is quite frustrating and I am looking for a fix to something I used to do daily. Thanks

how to forward text message to email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.