Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 4G forgotten passcode and more

When I turned it on I couldn't remember the passcode and when I plugged it into iTunes nothing showed up. What do I do?

iPod touch, 4th generation

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 6:05 AM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2015 11:39 PM in response to KiltedTim

Okay, so I don't use iCloud and I can't sync or connect with iTunes so I went with recovery mode. I got through steps one and two fine. I connected my iPod to my computer and I opened up iTunes. I forced restart when it was connected until the recovery mode screen appeared. It's now stuck on this screen and my iTunes on my computer is not even acknowledging that anything has been plugged in. There is no 'Restore or Update' pop up option....

What should I do now?

Aug 25, 2015 1:02 AM in response to MegglesPeggles

Try DFU mode and then restore via iTunes

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

Next

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X

Or

See

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

Aug 25, 2015 2:11 AM in response to lllaass

None of this worked. I guess that means that there's something wrong with the device? I remember I'd put it away 4 years ago because no chargers were connecting with it properly and it just ran out of battery and sat like that. I found it a few days ago and thought I might try my luck and plugged it in to one of my new chargers. To my surprise it started charging and it turned on. But I couldn't remember the passcode. And it isn't being recognised in iTunes. And all of these suggestions are not working. So I suppose that means that the device is at fault. I may also be doing something wrong- there were many steps to these suggestions. I will endeavour to find an Apple Store and take the device in. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

iPod touch 4G forgotten passcode and more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.