Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite upgrade, iPhoto won't upgrade

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to OSX Yosemite and iPhoto will not work (says the version, 8.1.2, is not compatable and must upgrade to latest version). I cannot get my pictures onto Photos unless I try to import them (I did this with a few), but when I try to do them all (yes, it's a bunch 😝), it says I don't have enough space on my computer. I cannot upgrade iPhoto from the App Store, because the version I guess I need is "not available in the US store". All of my pictures are on my computer (as far as I can tell), but I need help getting to them, preferably by getting them to Photos or, even better, getting the upgrade I need for iPhoto. I have also tried starting Photos and holding the option button. My iPhoto Library folder is not one of my choices and when I choose "Other Libraries", it's not there either. My pictures do appear in the sidebar under Photos. Am I the only one having this problem? I can't seem to find much information for this. Can anyone help me???😢

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), purchased in 2010

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 1:47 PM

1 reply

Aug 24, 2015 1:59 PM in response to atat19

I don't believe you can upgrade iPhoto 8.x.x because it requires a paid upgrade to iPhoto 9.x.x. You can only upgrade a prior version of 9.x.x so that you have it listed as an App Store purchase. Also, see: Mac Apps - Photos - Apple Support. But you can try:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Yosemite upgrade, iPhoto won't upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.