Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook stuck on grey screen and loading bar freezes halfway

After latest update MacBook wont start up. All I get is a grey screen with the apple logo and a loading bar underneath the logo that freezes half way. I thought maybe it just needs time to load but after leaving it for 5hours I realise there is a problem can anyone help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 2:00 AM

Take a look at this document - About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

Which one is your Mac getting to and getting stuck on?

I know you have stated this in your original question, but I would like to be clear on what you are seeing before we begin. Thanks!

13 replies

Aug 25, 2015 2:47 AM in response to parra eel

OK - just so you are aware of my lines of thinking...

• If you can reach the desktop in safe mode, then we know the problem is being caused by one of your apps, plugins, processes, or in the worst case a rogue piece of software (i.e. a virus, malware etc) - although this is rare.
  • If you still can't then boot, then I suspect the issue is with OS X itself. We'll have to restore your computer to factory settings, and then bring all your files & settings back from your backup. This process can take anywhere from an hour to a day depending on how much data you have on your harddrive.

Aug 29, 2015 5:29 AM in response to parra eel

You say you can boot with Cmd+R. Have you attempted anything with Disk Utility yet? If not, check out the paragraph below. Apologies for the slow reply!

If your Mac turns on, and the display works, but it won't boot, there could be many issues at play. But the one we like to rule out right away - or repair, if possible - is any problem afflicting the hard drive. The easiest first step on that front is to run Disk Utility. On a Mac running or later, you can run Disk Utility by booting into OS X Recovery Mode.

Make sure the Mac is off. (If it's not responsive because it's stuck on a grey, blue or white screen, just hold down the Mac's power button for several seconds until it gives up and shuts off.) Hold down the Command and R keys, and power the Mac back up again.

Eventually, you'll end up on a screen headlined OS X Utilities. (Once you see that screen, you can release the keys you were holding down.) Click on Disk Utility. Then click on your Mac's built-in hard drive in the left column of Disk Utility. (Usually, you'll see two listings for your built-in drive: the first includes the drive's size, like 500GB, in its name; and nested underneath it is your drive's friendlier name. You want that second one.) On the lower right of the Disk Utility window, click Verify Disk, and then wait while Disk Utility does its thing.

(Paragraph taken from Macworld)

macbook stuck on grey screen and loading bar freezes halfway

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.