Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi I have a mac book running os x 10.6.8 with 2gb ram and no budget . It all seems to be getting like me......getting slower what should i do?

Hi I have a mac book running os x 10.6.8 with 2gb ram and no budget . It all seems to be getting like me......getting slower what should i do?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:21 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2015 3:29 AM in response to fintankeegan

Your Mac is slower due to age and the v10.6 Snow Leopard operating system is way outdated. Apple has not provided security updates for v10.6 in several years.

One thing that can slow your Mac down is not enough available disk space.

Right or control click the Macintosh HD icon on your Desktop the click Get Info. In the Get Info panel you'll see: Capacity & Available

Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space.

If you haven't done so lately, check the startup disk for errors.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If Disk Utility reports errors, restart the Mac while inserting the install disc and holding down the C key simultaneously. From there you should be able to repair the startup disk.

Aug 26, 2015 8:31 AM in response to fintankeegan

Activity Monitor – Monitor Performance Problems

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Aug 26, 2015 7:14 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

A Mac running slower because of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? Really?...

I am still running Snow Leopard on my iMac and things are running well and just fine and dandy on this Mac!

I am perfectly aware of the security issues with OS X Snow Leopard and mostly with continuing to use SL version of the Safari.

I switched to using Mozilla Firefox many moons, ago as Firefox is still updated and secure for use with Snow Leopard.

Running Snow Leopard isn't the issue with this Poster's Mac.

It's either not enough RAM or a series of other system or software issues OR both.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.