Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vulnerability in QuickTime for Windows 10

We received an alert from Kaspersky Total Security that there is a vulnerability in QuickTime and we should update to QuickTime 7.x.

What edition of this software works with Windows 10?

QuickTime-OTHER, Other OS, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 12:58 PM

26 replies

Aug 26, 2015 6:23 PM in response to NLarson

you said:

TThe alert said to upgrade to QuickTime 7.x, bu when we tred to instal, the app said it needs Windows Vista or 7. We have Windows 10. What works with that OS?

You have two issues as I see it - an alert out of nowhere and incompatibility of QT on Win10

I said:

1. There are NO search results at the kaspersky.com website for Quicktime Wndows 10
  2. this means to me that the alert you received is SUSPECT - if the website has no data, how can it be real?
  3. HOW were you alerted? An email? An anti-virus check alert? What exactly?
  4. What is the exact words in the alert - verbatim?
  5. Did the message direct you to a place to download QT? What URL?
  6. What version of Quicktime was currently installed on the PC before you upgraded to Windoze 10?
    The latest version available = QuickTime 7.7.8 for Windows

QT 7.7.8 says it supports OS versions you report - early adoption of any software can result in having to wait for other software to 'catch up'.

I would beware of any Goggle search result that requires use of a custom installer as a workaround!

I can find but one joyful Senior member here - see the post here > Quicktime compatability with Windows 10

Aug 26, 2015 6:26 PM in response to NLarson

I will tell you right up front that Kaspersky and Apple do not work well together. Not only is Kaspersky a problem causing software, it does not work well with any Apple products, iTunes included, and will generally do everything it can to block you from connecting your iOS device to the computer. It usually requires you to disable it completely for iTunes to even recognize your iOS device. I would recommend a different anti-virus.

Aug 26, 2015 7:06 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

We do a vulnerability scan in Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) at least once a week. Yesterday’s alerted us to a problem with QuickTime.

Clicking the Details button takes us to https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__securelist.social-2Dkaspers ky.com_en_advisories_10653_-3Ffunction-3Dadvisories&d=BQIFaQ&c=eEvniauFctOgLOKGJ Oplqw&r=Sbs4U-syLx-yEBpX56Obw2on_EN8h6Lzk9GJEWxzffA&m=skBKvcEQ9KBsg_bAD3NUcH4TNk OYQuXERUSp_P662cc&s=7i0hk3q_0OId5kugjp1L0jBFsgwoLbdDB3fUQv6h9B4&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__securelist.social-2Dkaspers ky.com_en_advisories_10653_-3Ffunction-3Dadvisories-26VN-3D10653&d=BQIFaQ&c=eEvn iauFctOgLOKGJOplqw&r=Sbs4U-syLx-yEBpX56Obw2on_EN8h6Lzk9GJEWxzffA&m=skBKvcEQ9KBsg _bAD3NUcH4TNkOYQuXERUSp_P662cc&s=2eu2noIT9hJcg9MPnbwfuvI40lQfDBvXc4WBlU_oAyg&e= > &VN=10653, which says (among other things) that there is an unspecified vulnerability that can cause denial of service or execute arbitrary code. The date of the notice is May 18 2015, and it adds that Apple just reserved CVE numbers for this vulnerability—information can be changed soon.

The notice applies to versions prior to 7.7.8. We have 7.7.7 and cannot successfully update it.

Aug 26, 2015 7:14 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

We have not had any problems with connecting our iPhone to our PC, nor with adding or moving things between the iPhone and the PC.

Since Kaspersky has protected us from malware several times since we began using it a number of years ago and we have a current subscription, we would prefer not to change our anti-malware. We would simply like to use the Apple software we have with our current version of Windows.

Aug 26, 2015 7:18 PM in response to NLarson

I understand you want to use your Apple software. I'm just explaining information that I am aware of from personal use and spending a great deal of time here on the forum. Did you disable Kaspersky before attempting to update QuickTime? Did you save the QuickTime installer from the web page or did you try to run it directly from the web page? You may want to try saving it to the computer first, and then running the installer and see if that will allow you to update. The link that ChitlinsCC provided has the latest version of QuickTime for downloading.

Aug 27, 2015 12:33 PM in response to NLarson

Apparently QT - will - work with Win10 - the installer may not - see my earlier reference

"I can find but one joyful Senior member here - see the post here > Quicktime compatability with Windows 10 "

To summarize, IF QT 7.7.x was installed PRIOR to upgrading the WinOS - all good - QT runs fine

You could also ask yourself:

• If what Chris says is true about Kaspersky not 'liking' Apple, then
  • How much credence do you give their warning of an "unspecified vulnerability that can cause '...' "
    • How vulnerable are your computers to actually being *targeted* for " ... " attacks?
    • The nefarious characters must first 'know to look for you'

If you have an investment in Apple technology and Apple hardware, I would look elsewhere for a less adversarial anti-virus solution.

Meanwhile, I am sure Apple will address Win10 compatibility (apparently only the installer) when they have thoroughly evaluated the release version.

Aug 27, 2015 1:21 PM in response to NLarson

OK. Maybe you are misunderstanding me - or I am you...

Kaspersky is merely reporting something TO you about QT. If it did, it must have detected its presence as an installed App. Therefore, you have some version of QT on the PC.

Does THAT currently installed version of QT run under Win10?

What i said was, this Level 4 (2,000+ points) member said:

Jacumba Aug 23, 2015 6:19 PM
Re: Quicktime compatability with Windows 10 in response to rjp42

I have Windows 10 with QuickTime 7.7.7 which is running fine. But I already had QT on the computer when I installed Windows 10.

I further said that the Installer is barking at you, NOT QT itself - as evidenced by its routine check of whether or not either of the two OSes is running.

You can continue trying to download and install the latest version of QT (always a good idea) - but you will not succeed in getting it installed until Apple decides to update the installer to allow installation on Win10 - and they will do that without fanfare.

You should attempt to read between the lines of what we can safely post in the open forum.

Aug 27, 2015 5:17 PM in response to NLarson

I too agree that 2 of the systems I use to check on updates and security both tell me I nee do update my QT from my current 7.70.86.95 to 7.7.6 (1680.95.31). Then when I try it tells me this is only for Win 7 and vista. I too have Win10.

My Secunia PSI program for checking updates and my Belarc Advisor program tell me I need to up date and or get the security fix for QT.

HT205046Critical Apple QuickTime security update for QuickTime 7.7.6 (1680.95.31)

But as I said it just will not update. QT seems to be working on WIN 10 but is there a security issue or not. when these different programs are pointing this out I feel there is an update needed to fix the issue but yet QTs update does not work on WIN 10.

Any one else have this issue or a "fix" for us who do? Thanks

Vulnerability in QuickTime for Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.