Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For the love of God, help me transfer ONE song to my iPhone!

I have spent the past three hours trying to transfer a single MP3 (a home recording), which I have added to the iTunes on my iMac (late 2012, 27") (OSX 10.9.5) onto my iPhone 6. At first, after much reading I realized Apple, in all its glory doesn't allow manual file transfer between a Mac and an iPhone. So none of this Airdrop stuff applies.

Once I realized the only way to transfer a song to be played on my iPhone is through iTunes, I began my endeavor. At first, my iPhone wouldn't mount onto my Mac. So I've disconnected my USB 3 hubs, and tried connecting my iPhone directly to a USB port on my iMac. It took me three reboots of my iMac and my iPhone for the two to finally get to talk to each other.

Hoooray! Now that I finally got the two to talk to each other, my iPhone finally showed up in my iTunes.

However, my iPhone was originally synced with my old laptop (which has since died), so Syncing iTunes with this computer presented me with a scary message: I may potentially lose all my music and movies on my iPhone if I sync it with this computer.

Well, I certainly don't want to do that.

I just want to transfer a SINGLE song from my computer onto my phone.

So after more reading, I've discovered that I can click on the three-dots-in-a-circle icon that appears next to my song in my iTunes, then choose "Add To", and then choose my iPhone.

Ok, done. In fact, I've done that about a dozen times now. All to no avail. Nothing really happens when I click those buttons. The song is not present on my iPhone, and I'm ready to call it quits, after some 3+ hours trying to move a SINGLE song onto my phone.

Please, someone tell me, how does a company where things "just work" manage to make something so simple SO difficult?!?!?!?!?

If anyone can offer any advice, I would be grateful beyond belief. Thanks guys! :-)

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.4Ghz i7, 32GB RAM

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:01 PM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 6:31 AM in response to gordonf238

Hello Gordon,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand the frustration when you have difficulties in accomplishing a task on the computer and it isn't working. The following article describes how to manually move content from iTunes on the computer to your iPhone.

Move content from iTunes on your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If this doesn't fit your needs or you have other questions about transferring content, this link provides other articles for syncing other content or other methods of syncing:

iTunes - Syncing & Transferring Content - Apple Support

Regards

Aug 28, 2015 6:34 AM in response to gordonf238

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7163823 - If you have signed up for Apple Music or iTunes Match you won't have the option to manually manage music/sync to a device in iTunes. Syncing is done through iCloud and all your eligible music should appear there.

If you have not signed up for one of the iCloud based services:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7104625?answerId=28481661022#28481661022 - "Music syncing has changed in iTunes 12.2.0 and iOS 8.4 Music App.

For the love of God, help me transfer ONE song to my iPhone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.