Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes does not recognize iPod under Windows 10

I am running Windows 10 on my old homemade desktop (running just fine, thanks) and the latest version of iTunes. I have an iPod Touch.I am trying to get the iPod to connect with iTunes, which is not happening. I did not have that trouble before I upgraded to Windows 10.

I am running iTunes "as administrator" thanks to a user's suggestion, but that has not helped. Any other assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:08 PM

18 replies

Aug 26, 2015 7:48 PM in response to brunswickvarsity

Thanks brunswick. It seems we have a real 'bug' on our hands. I'll go over to the Apple store tomorrow and see if they have any answers. I happened to be at another mall this afternoon and, more for laughs than for anything else, I went in to the Microsoft store and asked the guy there if he'd heard of the issue. Of course, he hadn't but he did raise a semi- interesting point: what if the iPod is too "old" and isn't being supported? My iPod is the first iPod Touch version I can remember seeing on the market (not that this means anything. Maybe it's too old to be supported. Hi ho

Aug 27, 2015 8:58 AM in response to mzdov

thanks, mzdov. This gets us millimeters closer to the solution. The answer is NOT in the age of the iPod. It is looking like it is in the incompatibility (at the moment) between Win 10 and iTunes 12.X After a while today, I'm going to wander over to the Apple store in my neighborhood and see what the guys in the t-shirts have to say. I hope by now this has registered with them.

I will of course file a report when I return, whether it is good or...

Aug 27, 2015 9:36 AM in response to 50GreenDodge

There has to be something that's conflicting because I can to into the control panel and it shows my iPod. When I plug it in, I get the notification box in Windows 10 asking me what I want to do with it. I select connect and then I sit there forever because it doesn't see it. Even updated the drivers just to be on the safe side. Nothing. Select the "trust this computer" on the iPod. In iTunes, it doesn't even show the device connected.

Aug 27, 2015 5:14 PM in response to mzdov

Well, I don't even know why I bothered driving over to the Apple store on this hot (107 degrees) afternoon. At least it wasn't all that far. The t-shirt I talked to was eager to blame the problem on Microsoft (big surprise there!) and told me we'd have to wait until there is an update (he was a little unspecific as to who was going to do the updating) that would enable iTunes to see iPods under Windows 10.

Let's sum up for a minute here: Yesterday, I went to the Scottsdale mall, where I wandered into the Microsoft store. The Microsoft t-shirt was willing to blame Apple for the issue, and even thought maybe the fact of an iPod's age might have something to do with it. [mzdov's new iPod eliminated that line of inquiry] Today I went to the Biltmore mall and walked into the Apple store, where the t-shirt said they get Windows 10 issues every day [even though he said he kinda likes it.] But the bottom line is we will need to wait until either a zillion users raise a high stink about this problem, or Apple issues a regular update that fixes the issue as a matter of course.

Me, I'm more or less glad I: a) have my iPod pretty well loaded with a good stock of tunes and b) have a laptop still running Windows 7 where I can load tunes from if I absolutely, positively MUST have particular sounds during the interim.

So far, I guess that's about it. I've tried all I can think of - the "run as administrator" / the iPod reset / the computer restart / computer cold boot etc. I'd go into my old DOS bag of tricks and wave a dead chicken in the air if I had any hope THAT might work. I will remain on alert.

-- Jack in Phoenix.

Aug 27, 2015 6:57 PM in response to 50GreenDodge

Stuff like this really ticks me off. It's Apple's fault. It's Microsoft's fault. And while I am inclined to agree with it being Microsoft's fault...WHO CARES! FIX IT! We spend good money for our computers, our devices and we get this nonsense. I shouldn't have to use a Mac or a lower version of Windows to do something I could do a few days ago before an update. Had I know this was going to be an issue with 10, I would have stuck to 8. Now I'm stuck with a new iPod, an iTune full of music I've downloaded and uploaded and it's useless to me! Oh, and a little FYI I found...Apple claims that my iPod is compatible with Windows 10. Guess that was a big lie!

Aug 28, 2015 12:47 PM in response to turingtest2

that is just what I looked for. I should have been more explanatory in my response. There is no Apple Mobile Device USB notation in my Device Manager. I am assuming - as a lay person - that that's one of the things that's missing and still to be filled in when either Apple or Microsoft gets to it.

Thank you for taking an interest. It's a bit frustrating. I've done all the things I can think of - the reset, the cold and warm reboots, all that. It's probably to be expected when such a massive rewriting of code is undertaken. It will all shake out. Sooner, I hope, than later.

Aug 28, 2015 1:21 PM in response to 50GreenDodge

You may well have seen this before, but just in case...

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

Sep 18, 2015 12:41 PM in response to 50GreenDodge

I pulled up the original question I posted back in August, because Apple resolved it - in a short time, really. Thanks, guys. It was the new version of iTunes - 12.3 - that did it, I believe. Oh, I upgraded my iPad and my iPod to iOS 9 overnight, but that did not cause iTunes on my desktop to suddenly recognize my iPod Touch once again.

Only the installation of iTunes 12.3 accomplished that. It appears all is well once again.

Again, thanks to you at Apple.

I'll drop a line of gratitude to the folks who did the iOS 9 coding. That upgrade is doing really neat things to my old iPad Air - most of which I have not discovered yet. This will be an autumn of discovery for this crusty old geek. I have iOS 9, I have iTunes 12.3, and, let's not forget our other friends up the coast in WA - they've given me some pretty neat new software to learn about called Windows 10. I like it so far. No real big complaints. My remaining 'issue' is with Dell. I want them to test my old Latitude laptop and write the drivers needed to make it run on Windows 10. I upgraded to Win 10 and it was so funky I rolled back to Win 7 Pro because... So, let's get with it guys.

iTunes does not recognize iPod under Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.