Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adjusting tab widths

I've created a spreadsheet for a yearly budget. I have 12 tabs (sheets) for each month within the workbook.

Is there any way I can change the width of the tabs so I don't have to click on the < or > to flip through them?

Thanks.

Steve

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:00 PM

12 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:08 PM in response to Smitty91

Not that I am aware of, in fact I am going to say no there is no way to change the tab size. There are many discussions on how to maximize the use of workbooks with many sheets, but I would suggest that you place all this data in a master table and draw from it in another sheet over a given time span.

To fully help you, an example of your data or a mach-up of your data would help the participants in this forum to help you and solve your problem.

Aug 28, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Smitty91

Hi Smitty,

Charles has it- we are stuck with the tab widths currently. You may find it easier to navigeate if all your tables are on the same sheet. The triangle in each sheet tab will bring you to any table on that sheet.

User uploaded file

His suggestion that you have a master for data entry is a good one. It is easier to extract data to many places than to consolodate it to one. You can check out the budget template in Numbers to get a sense of how you can move data around between sheets and tables.

quinn

Aug 28, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Smitty91

Hi Smitty,

Good advice from Charles and Quinn about reorganising your document. I second their advice.

change the width of the tabs so I don't have to click on the < or > to flip through them?

Depending upon your track pad or mouse settings in System Preferences, you can quickly scroll the Tabs with a two-figure drag (left or right) and you can quickly re-order the Tabs with a three-figure drag (put the least-used Tab to the far right)

SG has a Jump to Sheet Automator Service (Dropbox download). See this discussion:

Re: Keyboard command for changing sheet Numbers

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 28, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Smitty91

Smitty91 wrote:

so I don't have to click on the < or > to flip through them?

Hi Steve,

You don't have to click on the < or >. It's much faster to just move your cursor up into the "band" with the tabs and drag right or left. (Edit: oops, on reread I see Ian already has this technique covered).

Also you can use this The Jump to Sheet Automator Service (Dropbox download).

After installing it, I just hit shift-command-j (the keyboard shortcut I assigned in System Preferences) and this vertical list of sheets in the current document pops up:

User uploaded file

To install in your Numbers > Services menu simply double-click the downloaded .workflow package and, if necessary, click 'Open Anyway' or 'Install Anyway' in System Preferences > Security and Privacy.

If you want to assign a keyboard shortcut, go here in System Preferences and add one:

User uploaded file

This makes it more convenient to navigate between sheets, but I agree with the previous comments from Charles, quinn and Ian that it is more efficient to keep your data in one table on one sheet and extract summary tables from that.

SG

Aug 28, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Smitty91

Thank you all for the comments. I'm at work right now but will look closer at these comments and my current setup. IN the meantime... to clarify, each tab I have is a sheet in the workbook. And Quinn, you are saying to move all the data/tables in each sheet/tab into one sheet/tab? So for instance, I'd have all 12 month budget tables in one sheet where I would just scroll up/down or left/right? I suppose that would work. I started with individual files for each month. Then moved to the tabs/sheets.

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Aug 28, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Smitty91

Hi Smitty,

Yes, I am suggesting that all your monthly tables would be on one sheet. The navigation that I recommend is using the little triangle in the sheet tab to jump to the table desired. You should not have to scroll to find your table. SG's automator service offers a similar thing with a slightly different action from you.

quinn

Aug 31, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Smitty91

I've just upgraded to a new iMac and am switching to Numbers instead of buying Office, which I don't use too much, except I use Excel every day to keep track of photography images that I sell. I have many worksheets breaking the filename lists up alphabetically (otherwise the one sheet would go on forever). I can't believe I can't adjust the tab sizes, but thank you so much for that script. For now that is a workaround that isn't too annoying.

Aug 31, 2015 4:43 PM in response to wife.mum.girl.au

can I just suggest though, that when using the script there's no need for the ok button? seems like an unnecessary click. but thank you for this, although it's not as good as the way excel does it (down the bottom is also better IMHO) this is a workaround that will keep me using Numbers. The question is (Apple) how many of these niggly workarounds must one tolerate before we decide that $9/month for the office suite is worth it? I'll be sure to post suggestions in the appropriate thread.

Aug 31, 2015 5:07 PM in response to t quinn

i wasn't providing feedback to Apple, that was for the script. They don't make that feedback place easy to find, do they?

I've also left feedback on the way Feedback works. once you leave one genius idea for them they don't ask if you have any more suggestions, so it's hard to navigate back to the Suggestions page. hard to find it in the first place actually. I'm not sure i can find your menu> bit to begin with, but I googled and found it and have bookmarked the page.

adjusting tab widths

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.