Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch black spot

I have a five week old Apple sport watch. Two days ago in the upper right-hand corner developed a round black spot. Called AppleCare Tuesday evening after 40 minutes on the phone was told I had to make an appointment and take it into an Apple store. Drove 20 miles one way to the Apple store only to sit and wait 20 minutes past my appointment time to be seen. Handed the guy the watch showed them the problem told them that it grew in size over the two days and now will not pair with my phone. He takes it in the back brings it back out and tells me he has to send it in for repair however if they find any evidence of water damage it will not be repaired under warranty. I tell the representative that I exercise and run regularly and sweat when I do and that I have washed my hands and water has splashed on the watch, he tells me that is not a problem. But he says again if there is evidence of water damage it will not be repaired under warranty! So I'm wondering what do you think the chances are they're going to call me and tell me that there's water damage to the watch???? I have read on the Internet that other people have had this problem with their watch within a few weeks of purchase and have been told a variety of reasons for how this is consumer damage namely pressing too hard on the screen or hitting the watch but nothing about water damage. The water damage excuse seems to be the latest and greatest by Apple. I have not damaged my watch in anyway shape or form and have been an Apple product purchaser and user for easily 13 years having purchased numerous iPhones iPads and iPods and never once have I ever damaged any one of those items. If they do not fix this watch under warranty it will be my last Apple purchase!

Apple Watch Sport 42mm, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 5:40 AM

My watch has also developed this issue...

My warranty had just expired about a month before this, and I was told it would cost $249 for Apple to repair it.

I wasn’t going to add my input here until I continued to read non-helpful responses continuing to question the prevalence of this issue when searching Google. Like others have already said, for every post on this issue there are many non-posters with the same problem.

Here‘s the deal: One does not want to see a significantly-sized blemish appear — through no fault of your own — on the face of a watch that you paid $1000 for just 24 months earlier. Apple wants to compare itself to other high-end watchmakers: I cant see this type of thing happening with a Tag Heuer.

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2017 5:40 AM in response to Apple Watch blackspot

My watch has also developed this issue...

My warranty had just expired about a month before this, and I was told it would cost $249 for Apple to repair it.

I wasn’t going to add my input here until I continued to read non-helpful responses continuing to question the prevalence of this issue when searching Google. Like others have already said, for every post on this issue there are many non-posters with the same problem.

Here‘s the deal: One does not want to see a significantly-sized blemish appear — through no fault of your own — on the face of a watch that you paid $1000 for just 24 months earlier. Apple wants to compare itself to other high-end watchmakers: I cant see this type of thing happening with a Tag Heuer.

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Aug 28, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I Guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough, Jonathan. My point is it seems obvious to me that they are going to say it's due to water damage since the store tech set it up that way. My point is that there is obviously a problem with these black spots on screens and Apple does not seem to want to be resoonsible for the problem. Google black spot on Apole products or on Apple watch and see what pops up. That's my point. Thank you. Unfortunately Apple doesn't provide a complaint process and I wasn't given the option on the forum to post simply to Apple Watch as a category..... But I wanted to get this information out there so others will know. Thank you, Jonathan.

Aug 28, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Apple Watch blackspot

Apple Watch blackspot wrote: Apple doesn't provide a complaint process

When speaking with Apple Support, should you wish to do so, you can explain that you would like to make a complaint. If the person you are speaking with cannot help you with that, they will transfer you to someone who can.

I'm sorry that I misinterpreted the tone of your original post.

However, I'm afraid the Terms of Use don't allow rants either. 😉

Wait and see what the store advises after your watch has been assessed. If you are unhappy with the conclusion and wish to discuss it with Apple, you now know that this is possible.

Jul 14, 2017 6:51 AM in response to gregthedinosaur

I have read this complete thread and was first relieved to see I was not the only one with this problem, and second was surprised to read that a persons google search of this issue only yielded one other complaint. I have had this happen to me on 2 apple watches (series 1). My originally purchased apple watch developed a black spot within the first year originating at the top middle of the face and slowly spread in a semi circle fashion. I called apple and they determined it was a defect and sent me a replacement. Now less than a year after I received the replacement it has developed a black spot originating in the upper right corner of the screen. My call to apple this time unfortunately resulted in I would have to pay $249 USD to repair it because my warranty period is ended. Obviously I believe this is the wrong call since the almost exact thing happened to me twice (the origination point was different in both cases), and even more so since this appears to be a common issue among apple watch users. So my question is do I have any recourse to get the watch replaced without having to pay for the repair?

Aug 14, 2017 10:01 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Don't feel bad. I just developed the same thing on my watch. Mine I am sure is out of warranty but must be a common problem. The screen is there, it is just a black semi-transparent black round dot in the upper right of my watch. If I enter the passcode it obscures the last number of the code but a closer look revels it is something over the top of the number. I can see the last digit of the code through the dot if I look closely.

Aug 14, 2017 10:54 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Do a web search on "black spot on apple watch" and remember most people will not bother to report it, just live with it. Also the search finds similar problems on a lot of other screen types, not just the watch. Seems the spot is always at the same place on the watch and varies in size. It is not a pressure problem since the spot seems to appear on a lot of the reported posts in the "same location". Best bet is to report it to apple and then see if they do anything about it.

Aug 14, 2017 11:01 AM in response to ddphoto1

ddphoto1 wrote:

Do a web search on "black spot on apple watch" and remember most people will not bother to report it, just live with it.

Remember that doing a "web search" is not a good way to get decent data on anything. I can do a web search on alien abductions and get lots of reports.

I trust the data from this site a bit more than the internet as a whole because it's a specific technical support forum with a registration requirement.

Damage to LCD screens happens all the time. It's not unique to Apple Watches. But, conversely, Apple Watches are not more prone to such damage than other things with LCD screens or than other watches.

Aug 14, 2017 11:08 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

If you believe in Alien Abductions I think that the web would be a great place to find the info. I prefer to get information from more places than a "closed forum". And by "closed", I mean a large percentage of Apple users don't even know how to sign in with their Apple ID! They are interested in playing with their iPhone and Apple watches and they are the ones that will post a problem on the web because they are not technical in nature.

That is my opinion, now I am going to do a web search on Alien Abduction and see if I can be convinced!

Nov 2, 2017 1:04 PM in response to James_Hunt_II

James_Hunt_II wrote:

Like others have already said, for every post on this issue there are many non-posters with the same problem.

So, let's say that for each the three of you who have posted in this thread with this problem in two and a half years, there are 100 people with the same symptom (which doesn't always mean the same problem). That's still a very small number of people compared to the number of Apple Watches sold. So, I'd say the likelihood that it's a defect are not huge. I'm sure there are people with Tag Heuer watches who've had something bad happen to them within twenty four months of purchase. I'm also not sure how it's really relevant to the discussion.

I also understand that, when it's your watch, it doesn't matter how many other people are affected. It's still frustrating.

Aug 28, 2015 1:39 AM in response to Apple Watch blackspot

Apple Watch blackspot wrote:

So I'm wondering what do you think the chances are they're going to call me and tell me that there's water damage to the watch????

Hi

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

As a user-based technical support community, I'm afraid we can't tell you what conclusion Apple will reach.

Also, the Terms of Use do not allow speculation on Apple decisions or discussions of Apple policies or procedures.

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

If you have issues or concerns about your Apple Retail Store experience, you can contact Apple Support:

https://www.apple.com/support/watch/contact/

Aug 28, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Apple Watch blackspot

Apple Watch blackspot wrote:

... The water damage excuse seems to be the latest and greatest by Apple.

What water damage excuse?

A search of this site yields not a single instance of an Apple Watch warranty repair request becoming denied due to water damage. If you have a technical support question, ask. Using this site to whine about a real problem is pointless enough, but you're whining about a problem that may not even exist.

Aug 28, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Apple Watch blackspot

Out of curiosity, I just Googled black spot apple watch to find out about these other cases to which you referred. I found one. The same guy posted here and in the iMore forums. He got his watch replaced. His initial concerns about poor service were down to a local support centre (not Apple itself).

So I'm wondering where you've had the idea that there's an established pattern in which Apple refuses to accept that there's an issue/refuses to replace the device and instead works its way down a list of excuses, now having reached "water damage".

I'm also (separately) curious to know why you don't have a name.

Apple watch black spot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.