Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maddening Apple ID bug freezes and crashes the Settings app on all my iOS devices

I’m dealing with a maddening Apple ID bug that is probably related to iCloud Music Library (more on that later). I’m pretty sure it’s not device-related since I can replicate the bug in every single iOS device I own. Also, factory reseting the device won’t help at all — I've tried that.

Here’s what happens...

Whenever I try to access some of the iOS settings (specifically, Music, iCloud, iTunes Store and App Store) the Settings apps freezes and ends up crashing. Weirdly, the same thing happens when I try to access the “More” button at the Photos app share sheet — that causes the Photos app to freeze instantaneously and crash a couple of minutes later. Another side effect of the bug is that once it kicks in, I can’t download anything from the App Store (the download spinner icon won’t stop spinning).

Settings:

User uploaded file

There are three frustrating workarounds:

1. If I turn my device off and back on, the mentioned settings will work just fine and I’ll be able to download app for about 1 to 2 hours. After that, the freezing issue comes back and I can’t access these settings or download apps until I reset my iOS device again.

2. When I'm signed out from the App Store and Apple Music, the freezing issue doesn’t happen at all. All related settings work fine and I can use the “More” button at the Photos app share sheet. The problem is: being singed in is the whole point of having an Apple ID. So, I sign back in and sometime later (between 6 to 10 hours) the issue starts happening again.

3. I’m not sure if this third workaround really works, but at first it seemed to me that keeping the iCloud Music Library option turned off kept the bug from happening — even when I was signed in. Once I turned iCloud Music Library back on, sometime later the freezing bug started happening again and I needed to reset the device. The problem is, this third workaround didn’t really work the last time I tried it. Even with iCloud Music Library turned off, a couple of days latter the whole freezing bug happened again.

It’s very, very, very frustrating having to deal with these crazy system-wide Apple ID bugs.

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 9:29 AM

16 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:01 AM in response to gregory202

Gregory, the bug doesn't exist when I sign out of App Store — signing out of iCloud is not really needed. Once I sign out of App Store (and, consequentially, of Apple Music), the freezing/crashing problem won't happen. But it really ***** to be signed out all the time.

About the Airplane Mode... it doesn't work. I've tried switching it on and back off. Also, I've tried to access the iCloud, App Store settings while in Airplane Mode. The freezing/crashing issue happens anyway 😟

Aug 31, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Ilustre BOB

You do not have to worry about those, i think, but any changes.

These are the easy steps and if they do not help go to hard.

Easy.

Sign out of imessage, facetime, icloud and itunes store.

Reset all settings

Sign back in.

Hard

Backup your device.

Erase

Try again when setup as new.

If works as new you can try to restore from backup, but if problem bugs you don't.

Aug 31, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Ilustre BOB

Does the issue exist on your family share members devices?

Is your wifi signal as weak as in the screenshot everywhere?

Did you report server side issue to Apple?

If you feel that it is iOS bug, did you find anyone around you who has the same problem?

Did you try different apple id on your device to check if problem exists?

You can create one extra apple id and join your own family share and then see if it works, but ultimately it sounds like you need to contact Apple.

Aug 31, 2015 1:38 PM in response to gregory202

У меня всё то же самое. Несколько устройств. Сигнал wifi хороший. У членов семьи подобных проблем нет.

I have all the same. I've already erased my device and booted as a new one (no backups used).

Several devices.

Wi fi signal is good. A family like no problem.

Aug 31, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Ilustre BOB

In no way I represent Apple here - I am user just like you. If you contacted Apple you should be waiting resolution from them. If you didn't - you should contact. it is their server that maintains your apple id. Here are discussions forums where volunteers help other people and each other. So I am trying to help you in your situation and you are welcome to use or not to use any advice.

Just like anybody else on the thread.

Let me also point something out.

1. You can try without problem to turn icloud music off if you have Apple music, icloud music is not that relevant. It may or may not help.

2. You can also check your backups and if your backups are more then 100 mbytes in size you didn't really set your devices up as new did you? so how large are your backups? You don't have to respond just answer to yourself.

Good luck.

Maddening Apple ID bug freezes and crashes the Settings app on all my iOS devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.