Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hows do i update maps

How do I update maps.. its an app that automatically comes on the phone.. but images on maps are over 2 years old... is there a way I get the newest version of maps so the images are the latest? thanks

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:50 PM

18 replies

Aug 31, 2015 3:55 PM in response to Tractorboy88

Well, it should update every day, at least that is my understanding.

Try a forced restart, perhaps that will refresh the app. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

If that does not help then I would do a Restore.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2015 8:31 PM in response to Tractorboy88

Did you try the Restore? If not that is what I recommend. Your Maps App is likely corrupted. I don't believe it is an IOS bug as mine works ok. The Restore will take a little time but should install a fresh copy of the iOS and thus the Maps App. I did a Restore myself yesterday on my iPhone, have done it many times in the past with no issues and no data or settings loss. iTunes guides your through it fairly easy... Updating the iOS does not replace corrupted files, it replaces files that are new in the new update only, but a Restore replaces all files in the iOS. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Aug 31, 2015 8:34 PM in response to Tractorboy88

Are you using Google maps Street View? Because Apple does not yet have a form of street view, just satellite and flyover. I have no idea how often they intend to update their satellite view and there is no way for you to do so. A Reset or Restore would be pointless and a App is not corrupted if it is showing a satellite view of a house being built but not yet complete.

Aug 31, 2015 8:55 PM in response to deggie

I think he was indeed referring to Google Maps Street View and not Apple Maps. My own house showed up as being built for two years after the Google Street View vehicle drove by. I live in the suburbs and Google Street View does not refresh very often out here, in the inner city more so but not here. And of course a Restore would be pointless if the issue is a Google Street View picture that has not been refreshed on Google's server.

In his first post he said "How do I update maps.. its an app that automatically comes on the phone" Apple Maps comes automatically on the phone, not Google. The moral of this for me is to ask more questions before I take the first statement at face value.

🙂

Aug 31, 2015 9:15 PM in response to Tractorboy88

You can't force update the Maps. The data comes from Apple, they collect & process the data. If the maps or satellite images are out of date there is little you can do besides report bugs where it is incorrect. Select a location & tap it for the option to 'Report a problem'.

Obviously other sources may be more accurate, Google maps, Open streetmap etc…

Sep 1, 2015 2:55 AM in response to Drew Reece

The most responsive that I've used is Waze. I reported a problem a few months ago, I was contacted by a Waze editor (they are volunteers) for more information, and the problem was fixed within a week. I've started training to be a Waze editor.

On another occasion, 2 months ago NYC made a major change in traffic patterns, closing the Central Park loop road to motor vehicles. Waze was updated the day the change took effect. Apple and Google Maps haven't been fixed yet.

Sep 1, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

The most responsive that I've used is Waze. I reported a problem a few months ago, I was contacted by a Waze editor (they are volunteers) for more information, and the problem was fixed within a week. I've started training to be a Waze editor.

On another occasion, 2 months ago NYC made a major change in traffic patterns, closing the Central Park loop road to motor vehicles. Waze was updated the day the change took effect. Apple and Google Maps haven't been fixed yet.

Which is interesting as, I believe, Waze is owned by Google.

Hows do i update maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.