Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install Mac OS 10 Tiger on a Mac Mini with no operating system currently installed and with only a PC keyboard and mouse?

Hi,

I bought an old Mac Mini (Late 2006) and when I turned it on, I discovered that it had no OS installed on it. After doing some research, I purchased OS 10 Tiger and tried to install it with my Mac keyboard and mouse. Then another problem. I found out that the Apple keyboard and mouse that I had no longer worked and the only other keyboard and mouse that I have are made by Dell. So I tried plugging them in to the device and they work so, at this point, how should I go about installing the OS on the computer and is it even remotely possible to do so?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 4:19 AM

how should I go about installing the OS on the computer

Insert the install disc in the DVD drive, shut down the Mac, press the C key and re-start the Mac, follow the on screen instructions.

13 replies

Sep 1, 2015 4:00 PM in response to BKrepchin

The ? means that a bootable device can't be found.

You ore depressing and holding the C key when booting, right?

It could be that internal optical drive is not working. The one in my late 2009 Mini stopped working over two years ago.

Do you have an external USB optical drive you can try? I do not remember if the install disk ore CDs or a DVD.

What is written on the disk?

Sep 4, 2015 9:14 AM in response to BKrepchin

You are best off buying the Snow Leopard DVD, which you can still get from Apple for $20. That is the latest OS that your Mini can run. Make sure you've got the maximum 2 GB of RAM, too.

However: bear in mind that this is nearly 10 years old: also, a lot of modern software will not work on Tiger: some won't work on Snow Leopard either. It's going to be slow and have not much disk storage.

How do I install Mac OS 10 Tiger on a Mac Mini with no operating system currently installed and with only a PC keyboard and mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.