Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does apple record support phone calls?

hi there. Does apple record calls to their support centre? If so, will they e-mail me a copy of the recording?

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:13 AM

There would be a notice at the beginning of the call if it were being recorded. Do you remember such a notice? Most calls centers do record some or all of the calls. Howe long they keep the recordings probably varies by company. However, in order to get a copy, you'd probably need an attorney to file the proper papers.

Why do you need the recording?

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Lewis12642

There would be a notice at the beginning of the call if it were being recorded. Do you remember such a notice? Most calls centers do record some or all of the calls. Howe long they keep the recordings probably varies by company. However, in order to get a copy, you'd probably need an attorney to file the proper papers.

Why do you need the recording?

Sep 1, 2015 6:31 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I Need the recording because in the past, I called a company and they said they would do something, but when I called them again, they denied saying anything , even though the person I called took notes. So, I need the recording in case Apple say they will do something, then they deny saying it in another call or Apple Store. Kind of as a guarantee or proof.

Sep 1, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Lewis12642

Next time tell the company that YOU will like to record the call yourself and if they agree you are OK. Don't know where you are at but the laws about recording in the US vary State by State. In Texas it is legal for me to record a conversation with another person in Texas, don't have to tell them a thing. In other States it can be quite different. I have recorded many or most of my financial conversations with brokerage firms and the like. They record my by default but do not have an obligation to share that recording with me. Since most of these are out of State, once I announce that I will like to record, I often hear a pause with hesitation (even though they just told me that "this is on a recorded call") but they then agree. Make sure that you state in the recording that the other party has agreed to be recorded, since they will hear this, if they do not object you are safe.

If you operate in Texas, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance. That said, if you intend to record conversations involving people located in more than one state, you should play it safe and get the consent of all parties.

Sep 1, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Lewis12642

Again, it is unlikely that they would give you a copy of any recording (assuming one exists) without a proper legal request. But, the next time you're on the phone with them, ask.

If you are in the U.S., it is not advisable to record any phone conversations without proper legal advice as you can easily find yourself on the wrong side of federal wiretapping statues. Also, whatever you record may or may not be admissible in court.

Sep 1, 2015 6:48 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Most States require consent from both parties before a call can be recorded, without getting that an offense is being committed. Even in states that only require one party consent (such as Texas) that only applies if both parties are located in Texas, if I call a Texas number from Illinois 2 party consent is required.

The safest approach is not to record conversations.

Sep 1, 2015 7:08 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

If the other party agrees to be recorded and this is then restated during the recorded portion, there is no violation. A large brokerage firm I do regular business with always records me with my approval and I often record them with their approval when the transaction so warrants.

However, in my opinion this would hardly be needed with Apple, if any thing they go way beyond what they are obligated to do, not the other way around. In my own case they replaced a phone that was slightly out of warranty out of good will and not because they were obligated to do so. Apple prides itself on customer satisfaction and I have never felt the need for anything other than a polite ask.

Sep 1, 2015 7:52 AM in response to elcpu

If I call you (from IL to TX) and get your permission you still need mine before I can record, State to State calls are always 2 party consent calls and although my consent is implied that has no legal weight, both parties must give consent. Evidence of such consent must be present.

Interestingly the Banking industry will not allow you to record a call at all, they prefer to keep the only record to themselves.

Sep 1, 2015 10:00 AM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

If the other party agrees to be recorded and this is then restated during the recorded portion, there is no violation. A large brokerage firm I do regular business with always records me with my approval and I often record them with their approval when the transaction so warrants.

Given the many different laws in different states, I wouldn't recommend anyone record a call without proper legal advice.

But I agree that Apple is unlikely to be a problem.

Sep 1, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Csound1

Interestingly the Banking industry will not allow you to record a call at all

Maybe at the entities you deal with but not so at mine. I have an account at the largest investment firm in the country (out of State of course) and I have a dedicated rep. When he calls, he says “this is David xxxx at xxxx on a recorded line”. I don’t have to acknowledge anything. I just say Hi David and we proceed. The call is then recorded and kept open for two years. After two years the recording is sent to archives, still accessible. When I want to record him or anybody else at xxxx I state that I would also like to record this conversation. After receiving the approval I turn my recorder on and then I state “For the record this is xxxx on the phone with David xxxx at xxxx who has agreed to this recorded conversation, is that correct David? After a Yes we proceed.

As I had a transaction to conduct this morning, I called David about an hour ago. I did not need to record this conversation but did so anyway. I followed the above and no issues were raised. Perhaps the size of my account makes a difference. I also have a legal firm on retainer for my affairs and this has been approved by them. You are welcome to believe otherwise as you please, and as always you can have the last word. Have a good day.

Sep 1, 2015 11:00 AM in response to elcpu

Both of the banks I deal with (Chase and FirstBank) will terminate the call if I tell them that I am going to record it, try calling David and telling him upfront that you intend to record the call and see what happens. He can proceed safe in the knowledge that you never informed that the call was being recorded, making the recording valueless.

Sep 1, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Csound1

Illinois has some of the most restrictive and archaic recording laws in the US. As a retired LEO from Illinois and also a current resident, I can tell you that even getting consent for a wiretap was as difficult and could possibly cause an LEO to be threatened with criminal charges. It isn't worth the problems as Meg also indicated.

does apple record support phone calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.