Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Enough Device Storage - Full Resolution Photos - Wrong!

Any advice appreciated.

I keep getting the message - "Not Enough Device Storage - This device does not have enough storage space to store all your full-resolution photos and videos. To free up space ......"

Strange thing is :

- I have 20GB of space on icloud and it reports 7.9GB available and 10.5GB in use by iCloud Photo Library

- I have 128GB iPad mini 3 which reports 11.4GB available free space (currently) and has reported 22GB free (previously) and still reports the above error.

If I have more space available on the iPad than the entire iCloud photo library, why am I receiving a warning that there isn't sufficient space to store the full resolution photos and videos?

Regards,

Chris.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 1:30 AM

30 replies

Oct 12, 2015 10:44 AM in response to qq7ajg

I have this same problem and I haven't found a solution.

I have ample space on my devices (iPad Mini 2 & iPhone 6) and have no repercussions for hitting ignore. I am able to take additional photos and videos as I please and they upload to iCloud just fine. I even recently deleted more than half of my photos after backing them up elsewhere and I get the same persistent error.

Oct 13, 2015 1:21 PM in response to qq7ajg

I have been having this problem with my iPhone 6 ever since iOS 9. It is driving me nuts. I pay for a 50Gig iCloud data package and I have 30Gigs free. My iPhone 6 has 8 Gigs free. My total iCloud Photos library isn't near this big. Why should I be seeing such a false message constantly when I open up Photos? Apple, fix this or give us a workaround! It's extremely annoying! One of these times, I'm going to accidentally hit the store lower quality photos on phone option and be very upset if that happens!

Oct 20, 2015 8:07 AM in response to qq7ajg

iCloud is not the issue, it is the space on your device.

You will have to remove some items to make space. You may have to backup your device, then do a restore as a new device, then restore. There is a folder called other that gets quite large and IOS does not do a good job of reclaiming this space. A backup and restore will remove this "other" space and give you enough space for your pictures.

Oct 20, 2015 8:24 AM in response to raymond73

I don't think this is the case. The trend on this thread is that there is more free space on the device than the total volume of files saved on the cloud. i.e. message is inherently false.

Specifically above:

@qq7ajg has 20 gb free on device and 10+ gb stored on cloud.

@LeoUCF (me) 10 gb free on device and only 4gb stored on cloud.

Oct 20, 2015 8:38 AM in response to LeoUCF

I second what LeoUCF said.

To be clear:

iPhone 6 w/ 128gb of storage

CORRECTION on the amount of free space on my actual device. i have 92gb free.

photo library is 9.5gb

iCloud storage available is 30gb of 50gb total.

I have been having this problem for the last month. Coincidentally, I had to get a new phone (same model / spec) and I restore and have the same annoying m message appear. In doing this restore, this should have addressed the Other space issue; just checked and other is only 1.09gb. And because i haven't installed any music i have 92gb free not only 20gb.

So in theory because the physical device has gobs and gobs of space and iCloud has 60% of my allotment or 30 gb free, i really shouldn't be getting this notice...unless there is some cap on physical size of photo library of 10gb. With my library at 9.5gb and some metadata for the library i could be hitting an undocumented limit????

Oct 20, 2015 3:30 PM in response to LeoUCF

There was no mention of where the photos were coming from that needed to be on the device. From iCloud? From iTunes?

To resolve storage issues back the device up using iTunes, restore as a new device, restore the backup created on iTunes. I would wager the storage problem messages will go away.

There are apps that will reclaim storage space but I really don't trust them. The backup and restore always works.

Oct 20, 2015 3:43 PM in response to raymond73

Great question, Raymond.

When I did a restore of my phone on Monday (an Apple supplied refurbished iPhone 6 as my old one seized up and wouldn't turn on), I restored from cloud backup my settings and such on the refurbed iPhone. Then all the apps got reinstalled. Then from iCloud full resolution photos (3600 of them) were downloaded to my phone, that take up 9.5gb (what iTunes says when i plug my phone into my MBA).

For what it is worth, I was getting this notice before my old phone died and still now, even after a restore. Is the backing up to iTunes different than backing up to the cloud? Should i back up to iTunes, wipe the phone clean and then restore from that backup stored locally on m MBA?

Many thanks in advance.

-james

Nov 18, 2015 12:04 PM in response to qq7ajg

Add me to the list. 12.1GB free on my iPad, 11.2 on my iPhone.

Photos taking 3.2GB on my iPad and 5.0gb on my iPhone.

Only 9.5GB used in the iCloud - so it only needs another 6.3 or 4.5 respectively.

Very annoying. I don't know if this is tied to the fact that it isn't downloading the original copies of the photos to my devices despite being set to do so and has the space.

Nov 19, 2015 5:45 AM in response to nycjdc1

Wiping the phone clean will not solve the problem as you are downloading all your photos again. Storing photos in iCloud is merely a backup of what is on your phone. If you have a 16 GB phone, then you cannot store a huge amount of photos.

The only viable solution with limited memory is to copy the photos to your computer, then make a backup from your computer. Then delete the photos from your phone.

The phone (along with iCloud) should not be considered a long term storage solution. The phone will eventually die, crash, or otherwise need restoring. You can store in iCloud but that is just a backup of what is on your phone. Any photos stored in iCloud will be replicated on your phone and will take space.

As long as you can see the photos on your phone they will consume space. An a small memory phone that space will quickly be exhausted.

Not Enough Device Storage - Full Resolution Photos - Wrong!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.