Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX won't start after reinstall

So here's the deal!

A friends Macbook Pro (2010) just got upgraded with RAM and a SSD HDD. No compatibility issues there.

However, the reason for the upgrade of the HDD was, that the Macbook pro failed the last update of Yosemite, a few weeks back, due to a full HDD. The "lost" data was recovered from the full HDD and the Mac got the new SSD HDD installed. Then I tried to install OSX from the recovery mode, it seems to succeed, but when the Mac then reboots after the installation is complete, is simply hangs at the boot-process bar. I the tried to install OSX on the old HDD after it was formatted and made a new partition, but no success there either..

Then it gets real funny!

After several attempts on both HDD i tried to install OSX on the old HDD while it is connected via USB - and then it suddenly both installs OSX and boots up perfectly fine. The funny part is then that OSX are able to see both HDD, The external one which has the running OSX and the internal one, which has an installed version of OSX but won't boot from it...

I'm quite confident with computers and Macs, but I'm pulling my hair out over this mystery...

Any ideas out there guys?

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 12:21 AM

It sounds like you have a problem with your connection cable of the internal harddrive. To verify: test your new and shiny SSD via USB, if that one works as well then you have a cable problem. see also Problem: new external installed SSD drive „Samsung SSD 850 pro“ does not work internally. Hardware: MacBook Pro, late 2009 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 History: Former installed "Crucial SSD MX 100“ died during video streaming (fa

Then you can try and replace your internal SATA cable to see if that helps.

Good Luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 12:21 AM in response to Rukor

It sounds like you have a problem with your connection cable of the internal harddrive. To verify: test your new and shiny SSD via USB, if that one works as well then you have a cable problem. see also Problem: new external installed SSD drive „Samsung SSD 850 pro“ does not work internally. Hardware: MacBook Pro, late 2009 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 History: Former installed "Crucial SSD MX 100“ died during video streaming (fa

Then you can try and replace your internal SATA cable to see if that helps.

Good Luck!

OSX won't start after reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.