Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC can read time capsule but can't write

I have a time capsule 3rd generation (A1355). I have a mac and a PC in my household. I was able to backup both computers to it until recently. About a month ago I upgraded the PC to Windows 10. Since then I've been having problems with the PC backup to the time capsule. The mac can read and write to the time capsule without any problems. On the PC, using Windows Explorer I'm able to see the time capsule, and access all the files. However, I'm unable to write any files to the time capsule. When try to manually copy and paste a file from my C Drive to the time capsule using Windows explorer I get an error: can't read from the source file or disk. Whenever I try to do a backup using Comodo backup, I also get a write error.

I'm assuming that Windows 10 is the culprit here, but not 100% sure if that's the cause or just a coincidence. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Time Capsule-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:07 PM

38 replies

Sep 2, 2015 10:19 PM in response to BrianVogt

Do you have the airport utility for windows installed??

I would give it a try.. might not work or do anything.. but at least load bonjour for windows if you don't have it..

How are you accessing the TC disk in explorer?

Try using it by IP address.. so type..

\\10.0.1.1 in the explorer address bar..

No luck turn off all the firewalls and anti-virus and make sure the computer is located home.. private .. not work or public.

Otherwise it is simply that wonder.. WinX which is causing loads of problems..

Sep 3, 2015 5:12 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yes, I do have airport installed and with that installed, I previously had no problem connecting my PC to the time capsule. I could access the files either through windows explorer or through Comodo backup.

In order to access the time capsule in windows explorer, I double click on the "network" icon on the left side of the windows, and that presents me with all the devices connected to my PC. One of those is the time capsule. I double click on the time capsule icon and a folder called "data" appears. I double click on that and I can access the files in the time capsule. However, I still cannot save new files to the time capsule.

Windows explorer wouldn't accept the IP address that you referenced to connect to the time capsule. I did turn off firewalls and anti virus and it made no difference. I'm on a wired network, so Windows doesn't give me an option to chose home, private, or public. However, I also tried it on the wireless network and selected home. Didn't make any difference.

Any more ideas?

Sep 3, 2015 7:04 PM in response to BrianVogt

Can you remove all password protection from the TC..

You can do this directly from the windows version of the utility.

Go to the disk tab.. and go to the file sharing. I am using the Mac version utility but it will look very similar.

Make sure workgroup name is correct.. make sure the guest access is full read and write.

User uploaded file

My command to manually access the TC disk.. (mount in unix terminology) will only work if the TC is at defaults.. if not find the IP of the TC first.

User uploaded file

So in my case it is

\\192.168.2.206

If it doesn't work something strange is happening.

When you say..

When try to manually copy and paste a file from my C Drive to the time capsule using Windows explorer I get an error: can't read from the source file or disk.

I don't understand why it says source.. that is the disk on your computer.. not that it would be anything new for errors in windows to make no sense.

Can you please format a USB stick to FAT32 and plug it into the TC and see if you can copy files to it.

Otherwise this is just good old windows.. up to its usual tricks.. No rhyme or reason to anything.. just loads of voodoo.

Sep 3, 2015 8:47 PM in response to LaPastenague

I can't actually remove the time capsule password. If I try to erase it from the time capsule tab to the right of the summary tab, I get a message when I try to leave that tab that I must input a password.

I've matched the settings that you've identified in the file sharing tab of the disk settings. These are:

Secure Shared Disks: with device password

Airport disks guest access: read and write

Workgroup: Workgroup

I was able to manually access the disk using the IP address. The problem I was having is that you can't input the ip address directly into the address line of windows file explorer. You must use a "Run" command and then input the ip address. After doing that, windows file explorer opened up to the time capsule directory. However, when I tried to paste a file in there, still received the same error.

I agree, it's very strange that the error I get refers to the source disk.

I went ahead and formatted a USB stick as you instructed and plugged it into the time capsule. I was able to access this using windows file explorer and was able to save a file there. So, the USB stick isn't having the same problem that I'm having with the the time capsule drive.

Still perplexed as to what is happening here.

Sep 3, 2015 10:55 PM in response to BrianVogt

Try creating a directory.. don't copy and paste files.. create the directory first.. then see if you can drop files into that directory.

No luck factory reset the TC and start over.

No files are lost doing this.

Give the TC a very short name, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.. eg TCgen3

Very short name for the wireless eg TCwifi

Password pure alphanumeric but longer for wireless.

Do not change the password for admin access.. ie leave it default.. That means the local disk access is left with password, public.

Ignore all the errors.

Sep 7, 2015 7:16 PM in response to LaPastenague

I did create a new directory. Was able to do that without a problem. However, when I tried to drag and drop a file, I received the same error: can't read from source file or disk.

So, I went ahead and did the factory reset and did the setup as you instructed. Note: I was required to provide a time capsule password. It will not let settings be saved without inputting a password. Not sure if this is what you are referring to for "admin" access.

After doing this factory reset, I tried to copy and paste a file and still had the same error: can't real from source file or disk.

Sep 10, 2015 7:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

I spoke with a Windows 10 help desk person today. He confirmed that they've received several calls about this problem. Unfortunately, he said that there's not much that they can do and that it's up to Apple to issue an update to either the firmware or the airport express utility. He suggested raising this with Apple. He said that apparently several people have done this and Apple is working on an update. I also contacted Apple and they confirmed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and they are working on an update.

So, a question on a possible workaround while this firmware or Airport express update is being developed: you had suggested as we were troubleshooting that I format a flash drive to FAT32, plug it into the time capsule and see if I could access that drive. I could. So, I also happen to have a 320 gig WD external hard drive that I used to use a backup for my windows PC. Is there a way to plug that removable hard drive into the USB port of my time capsule and use that drive as the network backup? I tried to reformat it using my PC and the only options were NTSF and exFAT formats.

Course, I could revert to just plugging it in directly to the PC when I want to do a backup, but my whole goal in using the time capsule is to have the backup located elsewhere in the house and done automatically.

Sep 11, 2015 2:50 AM in response to BrianVogt

I tried to reformat it using my PC and the only options were NTSF and exFAT formats.

It has to be straight FAT32.. so plug it into a Mac and format it there..

If you don't have a Mac in the house.. get a friend with Macbook to help you.. or use Linux or anything.. as long as it isn't windows..

Actually you should be able to even format it FAT32 as long as you do it from command window.. ie DOS.. Since underneath every windows there still lurks the DOS heritage.

(if you don't have a Mac why not use a proper NAS.. much the easier solution than spend the rest of your life fighting apple).

I am doing my TM backup to a Synology NAS .. it is faster.. not just a bit.. it is hugely faster from a PC.. and faster from a Mac as well.

So far it has proven to work really well.

Course, I could revert to just plugging it in directly to the PC when I want to do a backup, but my whole goal in using the time capsule is to have the backup located elsewhere in the house and done automatically.

Sure but there is more than one way to skin that cat.

Apple is working on an update. I also contacted Apple and they confirmed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and they are working on an update.

Thanks for that update.. I wonder we haven't heard from lots more win10 users if this is such a well known issue..

And I also wonder how quickly apple are going to be providing updates.. hmmm... !!

Sep 11, 2015 6:12 AM in response to LaPastenague

I tried to format with the Mac using the disk utility application and clicking on the erase button. The format options I was given were:

1. Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

2. Mac OS Extended

3. Mac OS Extended (case-sensitive, journaled)

4. Mac OS Extended (case-sensitive)

5. MS DOS (FAT)

6. extfat

There's no FAT32 option.

Could you provide instructions on how to format it to FAT32 from the DOS window? Or am I missing something on the Mac Disk Utility application?

The reason I chose the Time Machine for both the Mac and PC backup was because my wife's computer is a Mac and I needed a backup option for her that was completely automatic and didn't run into any problems. I had read reviews of many non-Mac NAS systems and was concerned that I would have problems with the Mac backup. The Time Machine seemed to be the easiest least trouble free option for her, and until the Windows 10 issue, worked fine for my PC too.

Sep 11, 2015 10:27 AM in response to BrianVogt

Brian, just came across your post this morning. I also upgraded to Windows 10 last week. And I have a Time Capsule. If I understand your problem correctly, I can Read & Write to it from Win 10, as follows:.

This first screenshot is what I see after opening This PC from the desktop, depicting Time Capsule on my network.

User uploaded file

After double clicking that TC icon, I see the Time Machine backup files, two sparsebundles from my wife's MacBook's.

User uploaded file

Now then, I simply perform a Copy and Paste, from Win 10 to TC, in this case a picture.

User uploaded file

I have not overtly or consciously changed any settings, post Windows 10 Update, to enable this Read/Write capability. It just works.

Brian, I wish I could tell you what you need to do to fix it. It just works for me. If there is any value in this post at all I'm thinking it would be that Win 10 can indeed Read and Write to the TC. Your challenge is to figure out what happened during/after Update that is getting in your way.

Sep 11, 2015 10:50 AM in response to Mike's Pad

Mike,

What version time capsule do you have? The reason I ask is that the Windows tech I spoke with said that the newest firmware - which I think is 7.7.3 will allow the user to read and write with Windows 10. However, the older firmware that I'm using, 7.6.4, doesn't allow it. Of course, the reasonable questions is, why not just upgrade to 7.7.3? From what I can tell, 7.7.3 is only for the newest time capsule version (5th generation) that has 802.11ac. I have a 3rd generation time capsule. Here's the reference I found:

AirPort Utility software and firmware downloads - Apple Support

However, if you do have an older time capsule and you've gotten it to work, then that certainly is relevant, and I'd be interested to know what settings you have set on your time capsule and I could try to mirror that.

Sep 11, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Mike's Pad

Hello,

I am having the same issues as Brian. I bought a new Dell and upgraded to Windows 10.

I have tried everything excep to format the TC's hard drive to exFat. Since I am at work and can't check my PC's drive, I am assuming it is NTFS. I know that NTFS and Mac OS drives won't talk to each other. So I figure what I will try is to format the TC's drive to exFat and see if I can copy back and forth. Of course I am at work so I can't check that out until later but will keep you all posted.

Another problem I have is with my external drive and TC. It is a WD drive and is formatted to exFat. I did this again because NTFS and Mac OS file systems don't play well together. But when I connect to the router via the USB port I get an error on the Air Port Utility on my mac that there is something wrong with my drive and the router cannot connect to it.

I am at a loss as to what has happened. I am using the WD drive to hold misc files the family can pass back and forth on the network and the TC's drive for backups. My wife and I use PC's (for me it is work related) and I, and daughters have macs. So I thought that would be a great solution to have our backups on the TC's drive and our misc files on the WD drive.

I would hate to lose all my data on the WD drive just to reformat it again. UGH.

PC can read time capsule but can't write

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.