Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Drive Replacement Option(s)

Hi:

I've got a customer with a Mid 2010 Mac Mini and he was having problems with it. I ran Scannerz on it to analyze it because I suspected either the logic board or the drive, and it's the drive. He has a 1TB 2.5" in it, and I suggested that we pull the optical from it and create a Fusion drive for him. He said "No" because he uses the optical too much and doesn't want to deal with any external peripherals except his backup drive. I suggested SSDs but for the types of storage needs he has they're too expensive. Finally I came across this Western Digital hybrid that has a 120GB SSD coupled with a 1TB hard drive:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190#Tab3

Anyone out there use one of these things yet? Are they reliable? How do they compare with an SSD standalone (that question is more for my own curiosity)? With a 120GB SSD on it I would think it would behave for the most part almost like an SSD most of the time. Another option is one of the newer Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM drives since they're supposed to be a lot faster than the older style drives, and it would certainly be a lot cheaper, but in spite of their speed increases compared to older drives, they still don't come close to an SSD.

All opinions are welcome,

Thanks.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 1:08 AM

59 replies

Sep 4, 2015 8:42 AM in response to CaptH

After reading the FAQ it seems that this drive is nothing more than an SSD and an HHD in one enclosure. What confuses me is that it comes with the HHD ‘locked’ until the user installs WD software to unlock it. At that point I’d run away because I don’t trust WD software or support.

Sep 4, 2015 6:13 PM in response to CaptH

I have several Mac Mini's (2010, 2012) and I can highly recommend the Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm drives. They will give you a pretty good boost over the stock 5400rpm drive, if that is all your budget can support.

However for just a little more, you can have a really fast setup by installing a small SSD (120GB or 240GB) into the lower bay where the stock HDD is and move your stock HDD to the upper bay using OWCs Data Doubler Kit.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMM10CL0GBO/

Additionally, after having really good luck with PNY camera cards and flash drives, I decided to go with their 240GB SSD's in my Mac Mini's. What the heck' 1) there pricing is pretty good, and 2) they're made in the good old USA.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&cp=1&sp=-bestsell ingsort%20skuidsaas&seeAll=&_dyncharset=…

I'm totally sold on the dual SSD/HDD setup, because now my Mac Mini's start up in 7 to 8 seconds (with OS X and App's) on the SSD's and I never gets a spinning wheel when accessing my huge (iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie) Libraries stored on the HDD's.

Sep 5, 2015 6:31 PM in response to CaptH

I'd second the Hitachi 7200RPM drive, just make sure that you get one of the new types with AF format - the throughput is a lot faster.

Apparently the WD can actually be configured as a Fusion drive if interested, but like the others I'd be wary of the fact it needs drivers and needs to be "unlocked" (I don't even really get that requirement).

Sep 5, 2015 7:23 PM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote: I have several Mac Mini's (2010, 2012) and I can highly recommend the Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm drives.

Are those Travelstars the "green" power saving type? If so, they will rather quickly accumulate load cycles, like park the heads every ten or so seconds, and easily reach their maximum before you realize it. I bought one for my Mini 2010, and it was up to over 2,000 load cycles after only a few days. Fortunately found hdapm, which put a stop to that nonsense. Might save a bit of battery power in a laptop, but a horrible idea for a desktop drive.

http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/

http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/usage.html

Should work fine in 10.10.

I'm hearing good things about this Seagate Hybrid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

Sep 5, 2015 8:11 PM in response to WZZZ

WZZZ wrote:

Are those Travelstars the "green" power saving type? If so, they will rather quickly accumulate load cycles, like park the heads every ten or so seconds, and easily reach their maximum before you realize it.

Not sure what your problem is or was, but I have two 7K500's and a 7K750 that have been in service nearly everyday for over three years now.

WZZZ also wrote:

Might save a bit of battery power in a laptop, but a horrible idea for a desktop drive.

Not true, they make great inexpensive replacement options for any system that has a 5400rpm HD.

Sep 5, 2015 8:38 PM in response to den.thed

If you don't have it already, get smartmontools, which can be installed from homebrew (http://brew.sh/), then just type in “brew install smartmontools,” which will install it. Look at the drive attributes by typing into Terminal "smartctl -s on -a diskname" (e.g. disk0s3--get disk name from diskutil list). Not sure about the current version of SmartReporter (trial), but the older ones will show you the attributes also.

The load cycle count on my 5 1/2 year old iMac WD drive is around 9,000. The load cycle count on the Travelstar after only six days was up to over 2,000. The max for the Travelstar I installed was 600,000, which may sound like a lot, but at that rate I would easily have reached that in a year or two. If your Travelstar is "green," in Hitachi speak, "power saving mode," I would imagine that you are close to or over whatever the max is for yours by now.

Sep 6, 2015 2:21 AM in response to WZZZ

Sorry to butt in, but I think he's referring to the newer AF formatted Hitachi's with a much higher areal density and usually at least a 32MB buffer. Those drives are low cost and FAAAAAST as far as spinners are concerned. Excellent drives. I've got three of them and wouldn't hesitate to buy more, especially for a Fusion setup.

My experience with "green" drives is that they're fine for a backup drive, but if you want them for a boot drive, forget it. I've got one of those WD "green" drives and it's about as fast as a turtle. They aren't designed to be performance drives, they're designed to save energy (at the expense of speed). They fall asleep and park heads at too often and, at least on the WDs, the variable spin rate is no asset.

WD now owns Hitachi, but Hitachi is still almost functioning as a standalone company.

I like some of the stuff WD and Hitachi are doing, especially coupling SSDs with drives. It seems some traditional HD manufacturers are almost assuming all they're good for any more is as backup units, but client with "big data" are still sticking to hard drives, not SSDs.

Just opinions…be nice! 😉

Sep 6, 2015 3:07 AM in response to CaptH

Three remarks:

1. Do not install Fusion Drive if ever possible. Arguments for this in a lot of threads here.

2. WD drives, especially the Black, are very good drives. I use several in Windows PCs that supervise a large technical installation.

3. In macs do not use the WD software when it is new. Horrible experiences everywhere. After a few years I would try and use it perhaps. Drives that need special drivers and/or special software should be banned from Macs.

4. In a mac all non Apple drives better be formatted first before thinking about putting OS or software on it. This is not psossible with this Black combi drive as far as I gather from the supplier, because you need the special software that is on it.

5. The Acronis proposal for a clone works well in a Windows environment (physical bit per bit on the disk), I would never dare using it in OSX.

My thoughts: keep away from it in a mac environment.

Lex

PS: a 7200RPM disk with a 8GB buffer would do great here I suppose.

Sep 8, 2015 11:44 AM in response to CaptH

If the customer needs/wants his optical in place then the data doubler won't work because it's just an adapter that fits an SSD or HDD into the OD slot. If he can't/won't afford a big SSD I'd consider a real hybrid, just make sure it's a newer one with a 7200RPM spindle speed. For regular hard drives, the Hitachi 2.5" drives using 32MB buffers and AF format at 7200RPM although not as fast as a hybrid are fast for hard drives and they're cheap.

This particular model is a good one:

HTS725050A7E630

Hitachi makes a lot of drives. You'll need to read the specs. Watch out for anything that has words emphasized like "energy saver" , "green", "low power", "variable speed", or "variable sector" because they're usually intended for very low power consumption in laptops at the expense of speed. Most seem designed to be put into backup or auxiliary units.

Mac Mini Drive Replacement Option(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.