Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Yosemite. However I need to create a way to reinstall Mountain Lion in the event that I cannot use FCP 7 Studio, Aperture 3.4.5 and other software. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Thanks

I want to upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Yosemite. However I need to create a way to reinstall Mountain Lion in the event that I cannot use FCP 7 Studio, Aperture 3.4.5 and other software.

I already tried creating a boot disk using DiskMaker X 4b5 and the install file could not be found. Also went to the App store and found that the Mountain Lion Download is no longer available. My original install was an upgrade via download…I do not have the Mountain Lion install discs. I have an iMac, vintage 2011 with a 2.93 GHz Intel Core I7 with 12 MB Ram

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 7:41 PM

Use the Disk Utility or a product such as Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone.

(132828)

6 replies

Sep 4, 2015 11:04 PM in response to Niel

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the tip. I tried using Dick Utility just now. My iMac has two internal drives of which the start up disk is a 250GB SSD.When attempting to use it as the source drive in creating a disk image, I am receiving the following message:

"The startup disk can’t be used as a restore source.

To use this disk as a source, restart your computer using the recovery system, and open Disk Utility again."

Not sure how to do this. Please advise if you have the answer. I have an external Firewire Drive that I want to use as the destination drive for the disk image. Thanks.

I want to upgrade from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to Yosemite. However I need to create a way to reinstall Mountain Lion in the event that I cannot use FCP 7 Studio, Aperture 3.4.5 and other software. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.