Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Live Photos be available on iPhone 6 or iOS9 also?

I just wanted to know if the Live Photos fearure will also be available on older iPhone models?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 2:11 PM

108 replies

Sep 10, 2015 2:27 PM in response to onetruevu

I think that is because iPhone 6 and 6 Plus don't have iOS 9 yet in that comparison.

When you have dowloaded and installed iOS 9 I think iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will have Live Photos as well.

I mean, it can't be hardware. It's just to take a picture and make a short video 1,5 sec before and after the picture which you then compress into the image file. It must be software.

The only think that will differ is the image size. On the 6S's it will be 12MP and on the 6's it will be only 8MP..

And the reason why Live Photos wasn't included in the beta version of iOS 9 is because Apple didn't want to reveal the technology before the live event yesterday.

Sep 11, 2015 10:25 AM in response to Alby-M

Finally what? The 3D Touch screen is also software, the software in iOS 9 for interaction. The only software in the 6s series that handles Live Action Photo is the same thing, code in iOS 9 to activate the camera. If you remember back to Panorama, slow motion, stop motion, etc. the same arguments were presented in this forum, that it was software. But then other phones came out with the same cameras and had the same features. Did they steal Apple's software.

For this feature to work to within Apple's high standards you would need good stability, a fast shutter, precise start and finish timing, etc. While that might be feasible in software it would be a lot of code subject to bugs, increase the size of iOS 9 and lower quality. Others might write such an app and then it can be compared. Expect to see other phone companies with this same feature next year under another name.

A similar argument ensued when Apple released a MacBook Pro with Airplay Mirroring. It was limited to that model even though Air Parrot had an app that did this. But it didn't do it near as well as Airplay Mirroring. People wrote the same arguments, it is software. But all one had to do was go to Intel's site where they described their new chipset, which used a different name for the feature, that enabled this. Within 6 months PCs had the same feature in their commercials.

Sep 11, 2015 10:38 AM in response to benjaminfotboll

Unless all of the ability to do this is embedded within the camera firmware which is inherently faster than a software based approach and all the iOS 9 software does is call the API in the firmware which does the rest. Just like Panorama. Or slow motion. You do know that many camera features over the past years have been embedded in the camera firmware? Like autofocus?

Will Live Photos be available on iPhone 6 or iOS9 also?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.