Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Issue with songs ending too soon.

Hi,

I have several songs in my iTunes that for some reason the music stops playing before the track has fully ended. In previous versions of iTunes, I have been able to go to that song in my iTunes library, click on Get Info and then under the options tab I have been able to tick a box which has that songs total run time and its complete finish time. I would tick this box and then click on OK and it would solve my problem with that song.

With iTunes 12.2.2.25 this now does not work. After I tick the box, click OK and close it. If I go back to it again, the box is untucked and the song still ends early. I'm guessing it's a bug with this version of iTunes.

Does anybody else have this same behaviour with the get info tab 'options'?

I'm running iTunes version 12.2.2.25 and this occurs with both purchased and music that I have added to iTunes from my own CDs.

Thanks...

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2017 8:46 AM

Firstly I would always recommend Spotify over Apple Music. As much as I love Apple, there music streaming service is nothing special and personally I think very long winded.

Have to tried to make a copy of the song from your iTunes library and then delete the original and see if that makes any difference? This is an ongoing issues and i am sure that Apple is aware of it but until they get enough users making a issues out of it they won't look in to it. Please leave feedback here https://www.apple.com/feedback/ if you have not already done so.

I did try to go in to the time settings of some of the effected songs but when I changed the time by only a second, iTunes would not save this so it kept happening again.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2017 8:46 AM in response to Alex Jodoin

Firstly I would always recommend Spotify over Apple Music. As much as I love Apple, there music streaming service is nothing special and personally I think very long winded.

Have to tried to make a copy of the song from your iTunes library and then delete the original and see if that makes any difference? This is an ongoing issues and i am sure that Apple is aware of it but until they get enough users making a issues out of it they won't look in to it. Please leave feedback here https://www.apple.com/feedback/ if you have not already done so.

I did try to go in to the time settings of some of the effected songs but when I changed the time by only a second, iTunes would not save this so it kept happening again.

Apr 7, 2017 4:05 PM in response to sparkey-markey

POSSIBLE FIX!!

I am not 100% sure this is a fix yet, but I have been having this issue for over a year now and I'm tired of it. I've tried everything in this thread and nothing worked so this is what I did:

You will lose your playlists, but IMO it is worth it because this bug is annoying. Take screen shots or write down your playlists to rebuild them if need be.

1. Close iTunes. Back up your iTunes Library files in your iTunes folder... Usually in users/"home folder"/Music/iTunes.
Back up "iTunes Library.itl" and "Library.xml" just in case by moving them to your desktop. Once this process is over, you will no longer need them.

2. Delete every file in the iTunes folder EXCEPT for the "iTunes Media" folder and the album artwork folder (optional).

3. Hold option and open iTunes. Choose create Library. It'll default and create a folder called "iTunes 1" in the same directory as your old library, so you should now have an "iTunes" and an "iTunes 1" folder.

4. Move the remaining contents of the original "iTunes" folder into "iTunes 1" and then delete the now empty "iTunes" folder. Rename the "iTunes 1" folder to "iTunes" (essentially replacing the old library).

5. In the iTunes app, go to File > Add to Library... and then choose the "iTunes/iTunes Media/Music" folder. This will add your entire library back into iTunes (as long as it was sorted properly in the first place)

I've tested 5 songs now and it has so far worked!!!! Please reply if you have any issues or questions.

Aug 4, 2017 12:16 AM in response to sparkey-markey

This problem isn't new. I've called apple support numerous times and always get the same response as if they have no clue about this very pervasive issue. I've had this problem since 2010 and the only way i know to fix it was to re-download the affected tracks. This was pretty much ALL of my itunes purchased music, so since about 2013 I've never purchased music from the apple store. I just use amazon. That was until I recently purchased a new computer and somehow that made the problem occur in random songs even though all my music is kept on an external hard drive. Its definitely something wrong with itunes, because this behavior occurred to songs that had been fixed before, but after downloading itunes to the new computer, they are affected again. Thanks Apple.

Nov 25, 2017 8:43 AM in response to sparkey-markey

I am using iTunes 12.7.1.14 and i'm still having that annoying issue.

Songs keep ending randomly before the end.

Deleting the mentioned files, rebuilding the index, I have tried everything possible to no avail.

The issue is only with my personal library of songs and the issue is present even if I stream song instead of downloading them locally from Apple Music. The issue does not occur if I stream radio stations from artists or genres and I also have issues withe the "shuffle" mode that doesn't really shuffle and plays the same artists over and over again. At this point I am really considering moving to Spotify.

Sep 15, 2015 1:19 PM in response to sparkey-markey

I had the same problem with songs cutting early over the past few days, and today iTunes is crashing when I attempt to open it. I'm on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, and running the same iTunes version (12.2.2.25). I heard from other friends that are running the same parameters, with the same crappy issue. I can use the Apple TV, but from the iMac is a no-go. If I hear anything I'll share the info with you.

gwbrubaker

Sep 27, 2015 3:33 AM in response to letnd

Hello Letnd,

Tell me please, if you go to one of the songs that is ending too soon, right click on it and go to 'Get Info' and then under the options tab you have a tick box next to the time according to iTunes that it ends. If you tick this box it should sort it self out, however, if your iTunes is acting like mine, after ticking this box and then closing down the window, if you go back to it the box is unticked?

Reply back and let me know how yo get on with this.

Thanks,

Mark.

Sep 27, 2015 5:19 AM in response to sparkey-markey

Hi Sparky-Markey,

I haven't seen documentation of this, but I think the new behavior of the checkbox -- defaulting to unticked -- is intentional on Apple's part, in cases where you haven't actually changed the content of the Start or Stop field. Try this: In Get Info > Options, make a very slight change to the Stop time (for example, shave off .001 at the end). Now tick the box and click Okay.

In my own tests, this causes the setting to persist, and may correct the ending-too-soon problem. (I can't find a misbehaving track right now to test it on.)

Please let us know if this works.

Nov 9, 2015 1:09 AM in response to stephansanders

Same here, I have iTunes 12.3.1.23. I've had this issue since several updates and I didn't tick any checkbox. The mp3 file plays fine with preview or vlc or what ever. The songs stop also on the iPod and the iPhone. When I connect the iPhone or the iPod with my car stereo, the conflicted songs stop as well but the time counter doesn't stop. It's like someone pressed the mute button – whereas with iTunes the song stops completely and the next one will play. So it must be some information that iTunes puts into the imported mp3s, that some players read and some don't. So annoying!

iTunes Issue with songs ending too soon.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.