Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will OS X Yosemite Notes app work with new iOS 9 Notes app?

How will OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Notes application work with the new iOS 9 Notes app? Will they be compatible? How will OS X Yosemite's Notes application display features from iOS 9 that the Yosemite version does not yet possess? Will I cripple my Notes app if I have iOS 9 on my iPhone and OS X Yosemite on my MAcBook Pro?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 7:25 AM

17 replies

Sep 16, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Allan Jones

Looks like bad news for people that like the Notes app. Toms guide.com had this to say:

"In order to take advantage of many of Notes' new features, you'll have to move existing notes to iCloud. As of iOS 9, the app now syncs content among your devices using Apple's onlineUser uploaded file service. (Previously, Notes piggybacked on email accounts using the IMAP protocol.) Keep in mind that once you move to iCloud, any iOS devices not updated to iOS 9 — or Macs not updated to OS X El Capitan — will be unable to view those notes."

Sounds like iOS 9 is worthless to me until El Capitan is realeased.

Sep 16, 2015 7:52 AM in response to Csound1

You're right, Csound1. I rely on many of the native apps in my workflow. I guess my point is that many of the new features are only valuable to me if they sync across all of my devices. That's what I like about Apple and that's why I'm a loyal customer. Once my Apple products stop working well with each other I find them less valuable.

Sep 20, 2015 5:46 AM in response to joshua773

Aso glad I found this post. I was really mad when I had done some grocery shopping list on the Mac only to get to the store and my notes did not sync to my iPhone. Then remembered i was asked when opening the Notes app that notes won't sync across devices not running iOS9 or Macs not running El Capitan. Luckily remembered everything on the list when i got back. I use notes heavily for personal stuff and even now as i finish up my masters as part of my audit trail.

So right now will just stick to notes on iPhone and iPad till El is out.

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2015 7:16 PM in response to joshua773

I'm glad that Apple enhanced Notes, and that this answer was found quickly...However, updating iOS breaking syncing of ANYTHING on the Mac without a clear warning of the issue when prompted for the Notes Update is ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS!!!

When is Apple going to wake up to the fact that every user does NOT want or NEED to update every Apple product they have anytime something new comes along. And not being able to undo something like this is absolutely RIDICULOUS!

How will OS X Yosemite Notes app work with new iOS 9 Notes app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.