Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Purchases no longer working

I've had this issue, since updating to iOS 9 GM-candidate, and the last version of iTunes, and it persists now to iOS 9.0 and iTunes 12.3.0.44 (today's updates).

Clicking 'File->Devices->Transfer purchases (etc...)' does nothing.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm trying to back up a couple apps to my iMac, as they have been taken off the iTunes store, and I would like to keep a backup.

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 12:12 PM

182 replies

Jun 23, 2017 12:34 AM in response to dkhill

I did the test and the transfering purchases option was unavailable. You might want to go in the iTunes store and find the "purchased" link. On the page their will be some different tabs to choose from like music, apps, tv shows, etc. Choose the apps tab and check if you have some apps that might be available to download directly into iTunes. Look at this discussion thread on Apple Support Communities for more information: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7218217?tstart=0

Jul 26, 2017 7:12 AM in response to Gordon Hodgson

Now that my iPhone has 128GB of storage, I would like Apple to restore the ability to download the entire app into my phone, not just select slices through Settings. And re-enable transfer of App purchases to desktop in iTunes.

Apple has forgotten that some of us do not have internet on our desktop computer. There is no way to transfer purchases for restore. You might say, oh it will download from the AppStore again on restore. Nope, that didn't happen with my iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 upgrade. Several old apps did not download from the AppStore. Fortunately I still had the apps on my computer from iOS8 transfers. Without this ability your app purchases are never going to be safe.

This gets even worse now with my desktop being on El Captain, its nearly impossible to get updates except combo update via "Documents" app.

Sep 16, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Gordon Hodgson

ive the same problem.

When i had the iOS 8.4.1 in my iPhone 6 Plus, i did backup every week in my iTunes. When i click the backup button, itunes asked me for backup my apps, and later i can see the backup and the apps in iTunes. But everything change after install the iOS 9 in my iPhone. Now when i click the backup buttom, iTunes dont ask about the backup apps. Just "backup", but im not sure, because, when i go to the apps area, i cant see the last installed apps in my iphone, and was supposted to backup it in the iTunes. I called Apple Technical Support, but the dont help. I need to backup again iPhone.

For example. If i restore my iPhone, and then restore from the backup, the apps dont install to the iphone. Its a nightmare. But if downgrade to iOS 8.4.1. I can do it again perfectly.

So thats means its something with the iOS 9 and iTunes. BTW ive the new iTunes update 12.3 in my Mac.

HELP ME!!!!

iTunes won't backup my iPhone Apps, after iOS 9

Sep 17, 2015 5:36 AM in response to Pakzadn

I had this problem in iOS 9 Pubic beta and I reported the same on their feedback tool. Surprised that it still there in the final release. It is a step backwards and a big pain if we have to update the apps both in the devices and in iTunes on the PC. If i have to reset the devices I will have to download all the apps again from the app store instead of just restoring it locally.

Sep 17, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Pakzadn

Misery loves company. Experiencing this issue as well. Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and updated to iTunes 12.3.0.44 64-bit last night, then downloading and updating my iPhone 6 Plus from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 9.0 (13A344). No issues or so I thought anyway. Later in the evening directly from my iPhone I purchased and downloaded a new app in addition to updating a number of other apps. When attempting to sync (...automatic or manual) my iPhone with iTunes (tethered) here this morning my new purchase and app updates are not transferring from my iPhone to iTunes. Ridiculous. Hey Apple. Sync much? *shakes head*

Transfer Purchases no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.