Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 2 upgrade to iOS9 failed and destroyed my iPad

So I got the alert from iTunes to upgrade my ipad2 to the new IOS9 today. plugged in the iPad to my Macbook, and now my iPad no longer works nor will restore. In fact it won't even respond after its screen request to connect to itunes. So Now this upgrade appears to have been responsible for killing my iPad that was working just fine prior.. How do I fix this or how is Apple going to fix what they did to my iPad?

iPad 2, iOS 9, Failed to load and killed iPad

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 12:56 AM

Many, including myself, have updated their iPad 2 models with no issues.

iPad 2 is, now, a 6 year old device.

Was your iPad 2 either out of or very low on free data storage space?

You need, at least, 3 GBs or more of free data storage space to do a WiFi, over the air iOS upgrade/update.

Anything below 1 GB could result in a failed upgrade/update.

Since your iPad 2 was rendered defective, did the Apple Store offer you an out of warranty replacement iPad 2 for $199 U.S.D.?

For another $129, for $329, coming this Friday, you can order a brand new 32 GBs storage iPad model , that Apple just introduced today, that is head and shoulders above any iPad 2,3 or 4 model.

The new iPad

http://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

134 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2017 12:56 AM in response to Mystery001

Many, including myself, have updated their iPad 2 models with no issues.

iPad 2 is, now, a 6 year old device.

Was your iPad 2 either out of or very low on free data storage space?

You need, at least, 3 GBs or more of free data storage space to do a WiFi, over the air iOS upgrade/update.

Anything below 1 GB could result in a failed upgrade/update.

Since your iPad 2 was rendered defective, did the Apple Store offer you an out of warranty replacement iPad 2 for $199 U.S.D.?

For another $129, for $329, coming this Friday, you can order a brand new 32 GBs storage iPad model , that Apple just introduced today, that is head and shoulders above any iPad 2,3 or 4 model.

The new iPad

http://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

Mar 22, 2017 2:42 AM in response to MichelPM

I have a 64GB wifi & cellular. I only used it for my pdf presentations and hardly download any stuffs.

Yes Apple did offered me a replacement because they informed the mother board is spoiled but I did not take it because I believed that my iPad was not spoiled. Their reasons was I was updating IOS with wifi instead of using cable.

Why should I pay, when I know that I did not wrong but update IOS and it broke my ipad functions.

This is precisely what I am saying, APPLE WANTS US TO CHANGE TO THEIR NEW MODELS every time.

My iPad was in my drawer for ages and suddenly decided to look for solutions again and found many people having the same problem after updating. Anyway, looking forward to smack someone with it now LOL.

Anyway, i got a iPad mini 3 last year. I am so afraid to update it.

Upgrading IOS can break your sets even when you are careful in handling. And worst is no responsibility on their part to admit their mistakes. I am considering changing to android devices if anything like this happens again.

Thanks Michel for the info of the new launch.

I am not excited about Apple anymore.

Mar 22, 2017 10:59 AM in response to Mystery001

As far as I am aware iOS upgrades/updates bricking devices are rare and not commonplace, especially iPads.

Happens sometimes with iPhones, but kinda rare on iPad.

My iPad 2 is purring right along on iOS 9.3.5/

I never heard of an iPad logic board being "spoiled".

That description and solution from your Apple Store sounds fishy to me.

Is this store a real Apple Store location or an Apple reseller?

You know, you could call Apple directly at 1-800-MYAPPLE, ask for sales/customer service and take your iPad 2 issue up with Apple in Cupertino, CA directly.

Be calm and calmly explain to the Apple employee/representative what happened to your iPad 2. Maybe some sort of compromise can be reached.

If you have an issue with the solution from the first Apple representative, if you need to take your iPad 2 issue to another level Apple employee, again, calmly explain your iPad 2 issues, once again

You may still have to pay for a replacement model, but maybe it wont be $199 U.S.D.

Explain you did nothing, but try to upgrade the iOS over Wifi and it bricked your device.

Worth a shot!

BTW, did you ever try updating the iOS on this iPad 2 using the latest iTunes on a computer?

The BEST method is doing iOS upgrades/updates connected to a computer running the latest iTunes version.

I have been upgrading/updating iDevices for over 8 years and NEVER use the WiFi, over the air method.

There can be too many data transfer issues/errors that can get introduced if you don't have a good and stable wireless Internet connection as sometimes, as you have discovered, the over the air upgrade/update can introduce errors and CAN go wrong.

Wifi, over the air upgrades/updates from Apple only contain what Apple thinks, based on your connected device to their servers, what iOS upgrade/update pieces are needed for your iDevice. Sometimes, the selection can be error prone.

By using the iTunes from a computer method, you get the entire, full iOS upgrade/update and your iDevice will take in, via iTunes connection only what it can use, from the entire iOS upgrade/update ,on its own.

BTW,

You'll be worse off on Android as there are lots of mobile viruses and hacking of all Android devices and Google doesn't keep up with security updates.

Sep 16, 2015 1:31 PM in response to alexanderfrommooresville

Force Restart the device:

Force Restart (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

You may need to try this multiple times until the device responds

ipad 2 upgrade to iOS9 failed and destroyed my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.