Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 Killed My Cellular Data

I upgraded my iPhone 5s and iPad Mini 3 wi-fi + cellular this morning. Everything worked fine on wi-fi at home, but when I tried to use my phone and iPad Mini on H20 Wireless (an ATT MVNO), it said it "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service." Another message says "Cellular Data Plan Usage ... There is no data remaining on your current plan. Would you like to add more data now? If you don't add now, you can do it later in Settings."

What gives? Both SIMs are activated and were in use yesterday and this morning before the iOS 9 update. Both SIMs have plenty of data dollars left (I'm on the annual Minute Plan). Interestingly, when I have Wi-Fi turned off and Cellular Data turned on and toggle the Airplane Mode switch on both devices, in the upper left corner signal strength dots appear along with the text "H2O" and "4G" briefly, then it disappears and is replaced by the name of the device.

Big time bug!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Mid-2011 2.3 GHz Mac Mini

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 7:06 PM

Jim Scott wrote:

Big time bug!

So everybody is experiencing this, huh? Have you tried restarting your devices (hold down the Home and Lock buttons at the same time and wait for the Apple logo to appear (about 10 seconds) then release.

25 replies

Sep 16, 2015 7:14 PM in response to lkrupp

Well, holding Home and Lock did result in the signal strength dots, H20 and 4G staying in the top left corner, but when I tried to go online with Safari, this message box popped up: "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."

Booger! Your reply came in just as I was about to roll back to iOS 8.4.1. First time I've ever had to roll back any Apple operating system. But I'm not going to wait around for the fix. Back to iOS 8.4.1 for me. At least it just works. :^) If anyone else wants/needs to do the same thing, here's a very helpful OS X Daily article: <http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/16/downgrade-ios-9-back-to-ios-8-4-1/>.

Sep 16, 2015 10:57 PM in response to Jim Scott

My iPhone 5s and iPad Mini 3 wi-fi + cellular now work perfectly ... again, now that I've rolled them back to iOS 8.4.1. OS X Daily's guide worked like a charm. Of course, it helped that I had complete backups of each device done just before running the iOS 9 update this morning.

Judging by a quick scan through the posts in this community, there are lots of folks out there who have had the same thing happen to them that happened to me. Bet there will be a quick fix in iOS 9.1 any day now.

Sep 17, 2015 1:42 AM in response to Jim Scott

Hey guys!

kind of same problem here. After updating to ios9, i cant switch on some specific apps for cellular data usage. I toggle the switch, change to the desired application and it tells me that i should make sure, that i am connected to the internet. When i am going back to the settings, the switch is again switched off. For my surprise. No probs with wifi. Its the same problem with every app i want to allow to use cellular data. It simply doesnt maintain the switch setting.

Switching of and on doesnt work for me by the way. Has anybody tried to reload the backup and install ios9 again?

Sep 17, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Jim Scott

I used the link that Keets provided. I chatted with someone at H20 just 10 minutes ago and he confirmed that this was the current work around. It is actually 4:34 pm here

https://www.locusapi.com/pcs/h2o.old2.mobileconfig

It did work for me.

I wish that I had seen the ximdot post before I did this just to see if that simple fix would have worked for me.

Sep 17, 2015 5:19 PM in response to Keetas

Thank you! I deleted the APN provided by unlockit.co.nz and replaced with this one from H2O Wireless. Now I've got 4G cellular data on my iPhone and iPad, both of which are now running iOS 9 again. In case anyone's wondering, this APN from H2O Wireless also works with iOS 8.4.1, if you want to try it out before upgrading to iOS 9.

Too bad H2O Wireless wasn't proactive about notifying its customers that a different APN would be required to work with iOS 9. I looked at the H2O Wireless web site, but didn't see any links to APNs. I have given up trying to get an H2O Wireless CSR on the phone; kudos to those of you who persevered and got through. And for solving this weird problem.

Sep 17, 2015 9:53 PM in response to lkrupp

lkrupp wrote:

Jim Scott wrote:

Big time bug!

So everybody is experiencing this, huh? Have you tried restarting your devices (hold down the Home and Lock buttons at the same time and wait for the Apple logo to appear (about 10 seconds) then release.

Well, several have experienced it apparently and it has to do with the carrier profile. I updated two iPads and poof, cell data is broken. And restarting does not work, and entering the APN settings manually is a no go as well, as is using APN switchers. Going to contact the carrier tomorrow.

My two iPhones run on a different carrier than the ipads, and no problem there with cell data after updating.

Sep 18, 2015 4:16 AM in response to FelipeV

This is copied and pasted from H2O Facebook page. They have fixed it. One thing not mentioned, is that you have to go to settings and delete the old profile first.

We would like to thank you for your time and patience. Responding to your request please visit the appropriate link below. Please make certain that you're using wifi, once doing so the profile will automatically update.For 4G iOS 9 Users:
https://www.locusapi.com/pcs/h2o.new2.mobileconfig
For 3G iOS 9 Users:
https://www.locusapi.com/pcs/h2o.old2.mobileconfig
For any additional assistance, feel free to contact us at (800)643-4926. Remember, you may dial 611 from an H2O Mobile device for live support.
Regards,
Customer Relations Department
Locus Telecommunications, LLC
Hours of Operation: 9am-12am EST
H2O Wireless Support GSM:(800)643-4926

iOS 9 Killed My Cellular Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.