Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri doesn't work (iOS 8 or iOS 9)

All,

I have an iPhone 6 that's several months old, and has been functioning just fine until recently. I think that it was with the last iOS 8.x update that I installed, Siri stopped working. Well, not completely. It works in my car when connected via BlueTooth - I can ask a question and get a response. However, if I'm not connected to my car, it just doesn't work. It constantly tells me that it didn't get what I said; shows me a list of the options that I can say, but it doesn't work. Dictation doesn't work either, as I can't verbally compose and email text message; it just doesn't respond when I speak. There are no microphone restrictions enabled.

To resolve the issue, I've blown out the microphones, speakers, connectors; reset Networking, turned Siri off/on, turned "Hey Siri" off/on, rebooted my phone, powered off my phone, and called Apple for support. They suggested that I do a Factory Restore, which I just completed to iOS 9, but Siri still doesn't work. Moreover, my wife is having the same exact issues with her iPhone 6! I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jeff

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 7:01 AM

By the way, the Microphone does work, just in case you were wondering, as I can record Voice Memos, and use Shazam.

27 replies

Sep 17, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Jeff P.

Hello

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but after I updated to ios9 .. the first thing I noticed was that if I made a call I could not hear anyone and they could not hear me, also my vol controls on the left would not work and I too did not have siri speaking to me .. at least where I can hear the response.

So I decided to do a reset and phone calls now had audio and I can talk with someone on the other end, everything else was the same, so I reseted again and then I noticed that siri returned where I could hear her and she can hear me, but when I started to speak she keep misunderstanding every word I said except the time. but the time seems to be coming from the phone and not from Apples servers. All resets were done from within the settings on the phone. So I reseted the phone again, but this time it got stuck, so I had to do a hardware reset .......... and then go back in and do the reset in the settings and when the phone came back up again everything seems to be working okay.

I do not know why I had to do that many resets, but for me it worked fine. I told my friend and he ran the reset 6 times and after that his phone is working okay.

I will watch all day just to make sure everything is working properly!

Have fun!

Sep 17, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Jeff P.

My Siri works.. Well sort of... The normal "ding ding" you hear when you press and hold the home button to bring up Siri is now only present on my iPhone 5s when plugged into power. Otherwise until I get her response to my question EVERYTHING is totally silent.. Don't even get the ding ding when I release the home button... Also not sure if its programmed this way or not but "Hey Siri" will only work when the phone is unlocked.. Even if its plugged in and "hey Siri" is enabled, it will only respond if the phone is awake. Hopefully theses are just minor glitches and will be fixed soon.

Sep 17, 2015 9:23 AM in response to hmoore70

I to amy having the same issue after ios9 upgrade, no beep when not plugged into a headset or bluetooth ? yet works perfect on my iPad 3 we need a fix asap. very annoying as small as it seems to not get the notification she is ready to help. By the way I also have done all the restarts and went to every setting in the phone and nothing has fixed it. Apple care tech's I have spoke to are having same issue and believe the feature has been removed but yet I see other phones with the update and siri is working fine and like I said it is working fine on my iPad 3.

Sep 18, 2015 4:57 PM in response to DESMO1198s

Hi, I'm having similar issues. When iPhone 6 is not plugged in, Siri doesn't respond with the beep however responds with voice feedback. When the phone is plugged in power Siri doesn't respond with the beep howeverd voice feeedback is again OK. When I say hey Siri and the phone is plugged in the power source beep and the voice feedback are OK. When my iPhone is connected to Bluetooth I do not get the beep feedback nor do I get voice feedback from Siri. Siri feedback setting is it to always on.

Sep 18, 2015 6:27 PM in response to trajce

Trajce, you have exactly the same thing I do... I did 2 full on factory restore procedures and everything but the initial "ding ding" is now working fine.. Hey Sir works (with beep too) even if the phone is locked. ( I have a 5s so that feature ONLY works if plugged into power). Looking at the fact that others are having similar issues and the fact that like myself others have iPads that are working fine. I'm starting to think its a software bug and Apple will iron it out with eh next point release.. My Mom and Sister both have 5s's as well, will see how it works form them after they make the iOS 9 update..

Sep 18, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Jeff P.

Jeff,

After Apple replaced your phone does every thing work as it did pre iOS 9? Do you get all the "dings" ? and such? 3 full restore procedures later I have everything working but the initial "ding ding" when you first call upon Siri. So I'm starting to think its a software bug that hopefully Apple will address with the next point release

Sep 19, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Jeff P.

Thanks for the response,

Yeah I need the "ding ding" back. When I'm in the car or walking ( basically in motion) I can't feel a thing and mine doesn't vibrate at all now that I just tried it. The did was how I could use it without looking at the screen. Mom just updated her 5s today and her's no longer "finds" either.. I really hope this is a bug and they fix it or something they change back or at lease make an option.

Sep 20, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Jeff P.

So after a ton of google, youtube and calls to apple care its is now known that they have removed the beep on siri for god knows what reason. It does work when plugged in if you put it in silent mode or plug a headset in or vibrate/silent you will get haptic feedback . Makes no sense to remove this especially if you have eye site issues , I'm sure it was a over site or it could be a bug but I need the beep back ! it helps with knowing when to start dictation and I do not want my phone on vibrate/silent all the time. iPad works just fine. Why let it work on a iPad and not the phone. Better yet give me a choice.

Sep 20, 2015 3:33 PM in response to DESMO1198s

I have an iPhone 5 and just updated to iOS 9. I'm having similar problems with Siri--no "ding, ding" unless plugged in (in fact, no talking aloud at all until after I've asked a question).

However, it works perfectly when plugged into power: "Hey Siri" works on a locked/totally black screen, so it seems like it must be a software bug if Siri works (or doesn't work) differently with other phones after the update. I would like for it to be repaired so that it answers aloud with the double ding, etc., when not plugged in.

Come on Apple, get to work fixing this!

Sep 23, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Jeff P.

I have an iPhone 5S and downloaded ios 9 and since then NO sounds from Siri.. I have tried everything! I really think it is a bug from apple... I have the little moving line that you see when you talk and I get a Siri answer but when I hold the home button she used to say what can I help you with? I just get the wording of it and a microphone at the bottom with suggestions of what to ask her.. Even plugged into my car I dont get any sound... I used to that would prompt me to talk... I NEED HER TO COME BACK!! HELP!

Siri doesn't work (iOS 8 or iOS 9)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.