Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad really slow after update to iOS 9

I updated my iPad mini (1) to iOS 9 yesterday, and now it is really slow. It takes forever to open or close apps, the swipe to close is a real pain, I have to swipe several times before I can close an app, and sometimes they just won't go away. I am getting very frustrated with this and wish I had not gone and updated it. Has anyone else had this issue?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 5:29 AM

176 replies

Jan 19, 2017 1:44 PM in response to BillClinton

Well,

All my older iPads work just fine on iOS 9.3.5.

Aside from slower startup, my iPad 2 (64 GB storage model with 16 Gbs of storage left and my wife's iPad 3 (64 GBs storage model with 20 GBs of free storage left) are running pretty well and she has had no complaints about iOS 9.3.5 running slow, either.

Unless there is some major security breach that occurs in iOS 9.3.5, Apple is done with doing ANYTHING with iOS 9.3.5. Apple has moved onto iOS 10.

Try EVERYTHING in my list of iPad performance improving tips here.

Slow iPad on iOS 9 or 10

Good Luck!

Jan 19, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Photogirl2000

The iOS 9.3.5 update is INCREDIBLY BUGGY and APPLE NEEDS TO FIX THIS!!!!

I have two iPads (3ed generation) and they all are very slow after the iOS 9 update. When I double-click the home button to turn off my apps cards, my cards just freeze in my iPad does not respond. When I open Safari it takes forever to open a new tab (almost two minutes). Sometimes I can't even turn on my iPad and punch in the passcode because the screen freezes there. When I use gestures to switch to apps it doesn't work and I have to wait for 30 seconds till my finally iPad responds. The same happens for any gesture made on the iPad. Even the keyboard gets stuck and does not respond when you're typing. The click sounds sometimes work and some times do not And sometimes pressed keys do not register with the iPad. What would take me 2 minutes to do now takes me 15 minutes because of this unfixed issue. I even tried resetting the iPads completely and clearing storage of upward of 10 GB but nothing seems to fix this issue. It seems Apple might have purposfully slowed down old iPads so they can continue to make money on a new iPads. If this is true, their strategy is ruthless and I will never buy an iPad again until they can give quality support to existing iPad devices.

Jan 29, 2017 12:39 PM in response to MichelPM

i finnaly found the solution for MY problem i had since years after updating my iPad 3

if i turn "reduce transparency" OFF i can scroll smooth over my screen again like i was used to when it was new

if i turn it on immediately everthing hangs and stutters if i scroll thru apps

so definitely this is the culprit

can't believe i used my iPad so many years with all that stutter.......

Jul 1, 2017 2:52 PM in response to MichelPM

Your wrong that the people with this problem represent a small minority. The truth is the people that report the problem is what represents the small minority but the most people with older Apple devices have these problems and apple doesn't care about them anyways, why would they they are only concerned about selling new devices not maintaining new ones. I've learned from owning most Apple devices that they have lots of problem that are very common but when I ask people why they don't report there answer is because nothing is ever done to fix the problem or it's not worth there time to call and complain about it so they just deal with a ****** device. plain and simple the new iOS was never meant for these older devices and apple doesn't care if you own one they want you to buy a new one

Jul 1, 2017 3:35 PM in response to California420

Oh, I'm wrong.

There's a "new one"!

Uh, ...no I'm not...

Many users of these devices simply do not know how to get their mobile devices to run optimally under iOS updates.

Many others try do these major and minor iOS upgrades/updates purely over the air using Wifi, which IMSO, is a very unreliable way to perform any iOS upgrades updates.

I strongly believe that many of the older iPad iOS issues have been caused from "over the air", WiFi upgrade/update transfers.

I have been doing iOS upgrades/updates using my computer with iTunes for nearly 10 years, now, and have not had any major operational issues with ANY of my iDevices.

Also, many don't bother to either ask someone more knowlegeable with iDevices either by someone they know, Apple or signing up into these forums to actually get a solution or to learn something to fix it!

All they do is sign up for these forums to post their one and only whine, rant or complaint about how their iDevices aren't working properly and that it is ”Apple's fault" and "Apple upgrades/updates have slowed down their iDevices" OR "Apple is practicing "forced obsolescence!".

Somebody like...YOU, for example!

Under the Terms of Use (ToU) that you agreed to, when you signed up for these forums, any type of rant, whine or complaint is NOT allowed and violates the terms of use of these TECHNICAL support communities.

BTW, my iPad 2 and 3 models are running "mucho peachy keen" running iOS 9.3.5.

If YOU are having issues with your iPad, then maybe YOU should look to my previous post where there is a link to advice and solutions that will help you and your iDevices, as well as those, you speak about or know about, that are having similar issues with their older iDevices.

Before you come into a technical support HELP forum, spewing your accusations toward others, maybe you should, instead, come here to seek out possible fixes and solutions to your iDevice troubles and woes, first!

Hmmm????

Sep 17, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Photogirl2000

I have experienced a similar issue with my third gen iPad after the last two or three updates. I have found that it improves noticeably over a few hours of use.

A couple of things you can try:

• Try a forced restart: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the restart.
  • A restore as a new device
  • Wait it out a day or so

Sep 19, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Photogirl2000

YES, same problems with iPad 3. Very sluggish, apps resist swiping closed. The suggestion to restart does not work. Waiting for hours of usage does not work either. If you reset, you are asking for more trouble than the issues are worth. It's making me not want to use the iPad at all. No problems with iphone6 plus. Apple needs to send a fix.

Sep 23, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Photogirl2000

I have this problem too with my iPad mini since updating to is the entire device is so slow and the wifi is so slow it hurts!! I wish there was an answer to this problem! My iPad is my only means of internet!

I've researched this problem and tried every quick fix but no go.

Now I'm on a website called MacWorld because they have instructions on how to return my device to iOS 8. But gosh, it's very difficult. I never backed up my iPad to my Mac so it said to back up ios9 and "find" iOS 8 download online. I did that too but now it says something about it not being "signed" and I won't be able to do something on iTunes. ?? I'm in a fit because this has taken days out of my life. I guess Apple has finally struck me with a reason to have to upgrade. I just wish they'd warn us of this slow down problem before we upgrade. Who knows... maybe they did in all those pages of writing we must agree to before upgrading.??

Please, if anyone ow there has an answer, please let us know. Techies, we really need you now! lol.

Thank you and looking forward to an answer asap.

Sep 23, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Photogirl2000

i see that there seems to be a lot of issues with this. I have been waiting since I first postead this and as yet, my iPad is still very slow. I find it ridiculous that my phone performs better than my ipaD. I'm hoping Apple fixes this problem soon. It's incredibly frustrating, so much so that I have almost stopped using it altogether, which seriously defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place. It's bad when such an expensive piece of equipment starts to become no more useful than a paperweight.

Sep 23, 2015 9:23 PM in response to Photogirl2000

After the last update iPad mini, 32 GB got really slowly too! Apps are crashing. To change the URL in Safari I have to click there up to 4 times before something happen! Typing something in is really, really slowly (3-6 seconds per letter) and even the Websites are loading very slowly too. On the top of it Safari is crashing a lot now. Light screen for up to 40 seconds, no reaction of the iPad anymore, then it goes back to the dashbord and I have to reopen Safari again. It's not possible to work with this iPad on a normal way anymore! It got worthless!

Similar problems with my iPhone.

During the transfer of Pictures from the Foto-App from my iPhone to iPad with Airdrop the Foto-App is crashing from time to time.

Apple promised with the update better performance than with iOS 8, but if I would know about so much problems before, I wouldn't install any update....

Normally I a really big Fan of Apple, but in the last time the quality really *****! I'm really angry and disappointed!

Ipad really slow after update to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.