Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 is bricked from iOS 9

I attempted to upgrade to iOS 9 today on my iPad2 and have been unable to complete the process. The first issue was getting stuck on the slide to upgrade screen, and getting no response from the slide gesture. After resetting, I was able to slide and a black Apple logo appeared with a grey/black progress bar. The bar fills up to about a third, before going back to the slide to upgrade screen. I am stuck in this loop. I have tried to reboot the device in recovery mode by holding the power and home buttons down, but the device just restarts back to the dreaded slide to upgrade screen. I have also connected to my PC and iTunes, but I get a prompt 'To allow access, please respond on your iPad', but again, all I have is the slide to upgrade screen. There must be some way to get out of this loop, as it is at least a soft brick. Does anyone have any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 6:45 AM

88 replies

Sep 17, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Baganaa

Why nobody from APPLE is helping to solve this problem??????

Because this forum is designed for user to user support, so responses largely come from users like you. Apple only responds here if nobody else does, and then it tends to be simply with links to online documents.

You say "lots" but frankly I don't see many posts about this. This is the first one I have seen today in an hour browsing the forum.

Sep 17, 2015 5:58 PM in response to aethelstan2000

Hi I did a restore from my last back up and the problem persisted. However, doing a fresh factory reset allowed it to boot properly. This is great but what about my apps and their data? What is the point of doing a back up before an update if the update renders the back up useless? Frustrating because it seems like the slide to upgrade screen is blip layered on top of a working os as I was able to connect and pull my photos off and I can see all my apps via iTunes but they are showing as not installed and I cannot get at their data. Suggestions?

Sep 17, 2015 11:02 PM in response to Limnos

I have been reviewing the Internet posts and there are LOTS of people that have had exactly this same issue with both their IPhones and their IPads.

For myself, I tried to update to IOS 9 thinking that it might be better. Not so. I get continually hung up on the "Slide to Upgrade" screen. But you CAN'T slide it! And if you finally do get it to slide, you are asked for your passcode. Enter that, and you get the Apple logo and a download progress bar that only goes to a third of the way. Then, it sometimes goes to the dreaded "White Screen of Death" that is the Slide to Upgrade screen.

every once in a while, it will go to a screen that seems to say "Hello" in a bunch of different languages. Slide to start or something and then........crashes right back to the "Slide to Update" screen and you are back where you started.

I tried to restore, but ITunes told me that I can't do this until I turn off my "Findmy phone" feature on the bricked IPad. Well, I can't turn off that feature because the IPad is BRICKED! I even went to iCloud.com and removed that device (theoretically turning off the findmyphone feature. No dice.

what am I to do? I saw some talk that Apple won't help and the warranty is done, so I have no recourse. If that is true, I am going to flat-out ****** off!

iPad 2 is bricked from iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.