Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the podcast playlist in ios9?

Since upgrading to ios9 my playlist for podcasts only has disappeared. The podcasts are on the iphone but I cannot listen to them the way I did in ios8.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 8:10 AM

42 replies

Oct 1, 2017 4:05 PM in response to iller than you

I use Podcasts the same way - line 'em up and listen to different shows over an extended drive or other activity. Stations don't work if you are listening to back episodes of a show mixed with current episodes of others, or take into account the type of podcast you want to listen to for a particular activity (do I need to be able to listen intently, or is it a "background" show). The new Podcast app also makes it more annoying to add episodes to the list as you need to enter the actual episode screen in order to add it. (Previously you could be on the show screen with the episode list, thus enabling you to add several episodes quickly.)

Most of all though - I want is to be able to see the "up next" list that you have hidden in the background. Apple, I love you, but please put this back!

Sep 18, 2015 6:35 AM in response to mzfit

Playlists are still there, but they're hidden pretty well:

1. Go to the "My Podcasts" tab.
  2. Click the "+" button in the upper left corner.
  3. Select "Add Station". (i.e. a Playlist - a name change that I still consider idiotic).
  4. Name the station.
  5. Select the podcasts you want to be in there (I just chose all of them for now).
  6. Press the back arrow at the top of the screen to go, not back, but to a new screen with options for managing the station.

After that, when you choose the "My Podcasts" tab, stations appear at the top of the screen for you to choose. I haven't played with it enough yet to figure out if the Podcasts app will open the station that was last being played.

I don't know why they elected to erase all the previous stations I'd set up.

Sep 18, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Lost in Asia

I dont think the "stations" feature serves the same use as the playlists feature did at all.

One would add individual episodes to a playlist (like on the go, #RIP) but a station requires the entire podcast be added. it's much more of a "lean back" style experience which would have been cool in addition to the existing playlists feature. At present there appears to be no way to do the granular, episode-based queue that playlists used to.

Sep 18, 2015 9:53 AM in response to goldnerj

The Stations add podcast feeds, not individual episode. As far as I can tell the Stations function adds the most recent episode.

It's not the same as On-the-Go.

I'm deeply frustrated by the redesign - I've come to listen to podcasts extensively and this throws it off the basic feature of being able to decide what you want to hear next ahead of time. (I know that Up Next can work the same way, but it's counterintuitive and hidden from the main interface. And I agree that it's odd that you need to opt in or out of Up next every single time you play any podcast - if you had to go through the same trouble with an iPod nobody would use it.)

Anybody have thoughts on other podcast apps?

Sep 19, 2015 1:51 AM in response to cyberbiker

Those help pages don't cover anything useful around collecting episodes into a playlist, like it was possible with on-the-go. The only remote resemblance is the up-next feature, however it is only accessible once something is playing. But the worst thing is that is is extremely "volatile". When you browse around the podcasts, add stuff and navigate around, you easily completely delete the up-next list w/o even being asked. I tried to recover my lengthy previous on-the-go list manually twice already, and both times I ended up with finally having crushed the up-next to nothing after it was almost what I wanted it to be. It's simply not stable and reliably accessible at all times, managing your set of episodes you want to here over time from now on...

Sep 19, 2015 5:26 AM in response to goldnerj

I agree - the station feature in ios 9 does not provide the same capabilities as the On-The-Go station. It makes you add a podcast subscription to the station, not individual episodes like On-The-Go would.

My typical usage scenario - find the podcast episodes I'd like to listen to, download and add to on the go (in two taps). I could then go to On-The-Go and reorder as I'd like, delete, etc. IOS 9 stations puts every podcast episode in and I have to "clean out" any I don't want.

Apple, why did you ruin what worked just fine? If you add features like Up Next (which has incredibly obtuse behavior), does that mean you take away those that people actually use?

Sep 21, 2015 7:15 AM in response to mzfit

I have found it works to create a playlist in Music on my iMac, and port the playlist over to the iPhone 6 (I did this because the iOS9 Beta was having trouble when you tried to create playlists on the phone in Music -- which is what I do with my iPod shuffle). However, I have noticed something interesting with that -- occasionally, the Podcast playlist shows up in Music on iOS9, and sometimes not (it always shows up in the podcast app). It's awfully convenient in Music -- I don't particularly like the separation of podcasts and music in iOS. Anyone else done this, and seen this? Please, whatever makes podcast playlists show up is music, more please. I like that.

Sep 22, 2015 4:40 PM in response to mzfit

The new IOS9 makes a mess of podiobooks, which used to be my favorite thing about podcasts and the podcast app. On-the-go or a truly customizable playlist was the best way to pick out, download, and sort the podiobook episodes from a long running podcast. Can you do it it with Up-Next? Kinda, but not really. You can select each episode in series, but once you leave to listen to something else you will have to build the playlist all over again when you come back. Can you do it with Stations? Maybe, but it's extremely difficult, and then again maybe not... I'm not such a glutton for punishment to try it out! Assuming your podiobook is longer than, or not within, the last 10 episodes, you would need to add the entire podcast, then manually delete episodes (maybe several years worth of them) until you are left with just the episodes making up the podiobook.

My #appleconspiracytheory... you aren't supposed to be monkeying around with that free podio nonsense. Go buy content from the Apple audiobook store, where life is good and everything works intuitively. Free Podiobooks are for techno-hipster communists. 😕

Sep 24, 2015 11:30 AM in response to mzfit

Apple, in my opinion, has taken an enormous step backwards. No longer can one select specific episodes to listen to and arrange them in a specific order. Unless, perhaps, one does so on one's computer and then syncs — though I have not tried this; it's a total kluge! Ugh! Please bring back episode-specific playlists. Even just on-the-go would be better than the pitiful Up Next which is impossible to edit, at the episode level.

I am so disheartened by this, I wish I could use iOS 8 Podcasts app on iOS 9.

1-star review!

Where is the podcast playlist in ios9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.