Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup Broken After iOS 9 Upgrade

iCloud Backup on both my iPhone and iPad have been working fine for years until I upgraded to iOS 9. After the upgrade it said my latest backup was "Never". When I pressed "Backup Now" the progress bar flashed quickly then went back to saying my latest backup was "Never" (no error messages).

I decided to try turning iCloud Backup off and back on again. When I try to turn in on it says "iCloud Backup Failed. There was a problem enabling iCloud Backup.".

Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix?

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 2:34 PM

I have this problem too immediately after updating my iPad mini retina (model ME280LL/A) after upgrading to iOS 9.

previous version was 8.4.1

I have just completed a backup before the upgrade.

guess I better not update any of my other iDevices?

This is an major problem.

553 replies

Sep 18, 2015 5:34 AM in response to leJuan5150

I Have the same issue on my iPhone, but not the iPad. Tried deleting the backup, which could only be done by deleting each app in backup list, then the "zero" byte backup. Called Apple Support and went through a multi-hour process of creating a local iTunes backup, then updating and restoring through DFU mode. Nothing worked. The backup proceeds until the very end, then a messages with no error number states that it could not finish the backup.

Sep 18, 2015 6:12 AM in response to 2manyusername

I must amend my previous post.

With both my iPad mini and iPhone 5s I was on 8.4.1. Did a successful icloud backup and then upgraded to iOS 9.

When I checked on the status of iCloud backups they both say NEVER. However if you go to Setting; iCloud; Storage; Manage Storage; it shows the previous backup and if you click on the iDevice it shows you the backup and the size but says NEVER????

I can't tell you if the backup would work for a restore, but it does appear to be there.

I then successfully initiated an iCloud backup on both devices from iOS 9 (of course). The backups were successful and they now say the time of the last backup.

So my question is this a bug? Would the backups that say never but able to restore if needed or does NEVER just imply not backed up since upgrade?

very strange.

Sep 18, 2015 6:46 AM in response to 2manyusername

After ios 9 update, iphone 5S and ipad 3 failed to do automatic cloud backup. I eventually was able to manually force one backup of each early last night. Since then, all backup attempts have failed. But at least now I am getting an accurate view of how much space my backup is using. Before the one successful backup, my iphone was showing as using 0 space for its backup instead of the actual 1.5 gb. As my wife's phone is still backing up nightly on ios 8.4, I am convinced this is an ios 9 bug of some kind. As more people notice, I presume this will start getting more attention. Apple Cloud is still something I have trouble having any faith in. I avoid syncing calendar and contacts with iCloud for just this reason. It's safer to sync via other methods.

Sep 18, 2015 4:02 PM in response to leJuan5150

Same thing here. My iPhone 6 was performing the automatic iCloud backup normally before install iOS9. Now, even with just 1 GB used in iCloud and 4GB free, keeps messaging me that there's no space to perform a backup on iCloud. I hope Apple fix this soon.

OFF Topic: My iphone 6 is very laggy after the update, sometimes even to simply scroll to second page of apps it have lags. The online videos also is suffering from buffering freezes that did not happen before the upgrade.

Sep 18, 2015 4:20 PM in response to leJuan5150

The servers at Apple are totally maxed out right now, so things that use those servers are sometimes taking an inordinate amount of time to get done. For example, I had to restore my iPhone 5 from a backup yesterday (not because of iOS 9 - a separate issue). I started the restore yesterday afternoon, and it finished around 4:00 pm today. When I originally set up this phone from a backup it took an hour.

I also can report that the download of the backup sped up as the day progressed.

So, the reason your device may not have backed up overnight like it usually does might be because it was in the queue, and simply did not get to the front of the line before you disconnected it from power this morning to use it. Had it been plugged in all night and all day today, there is a good chance it would have backed up.

Your Last Backup and Last Backup size under iOS 9 is 0 Bytes - but if you look at your Next Backup, it should be reflecting the total amount of storage that the items you have checked below add up to.

If you want to manually initiate a backup, then try again later tonight or over the weekend. If you leave your phone connected to power with Wifi and the Lock Screen on tonight, there is a good chance that tomorrow morning you will have seen that it has backed up.

Best of luck,

GB

iCloud Backup Broken After iOS 9 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.