Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select multiple pictures to add to another photo album in iOS9

Since updating to iOS9 I've noticed it prohibits the ability to select more than 2 pictures from your camera roll to add to another photo album you've created. If you select more than 2 pictures and press "add to" to try to add it to another album the photo app closes. This was possible in iOS 8. Why does it do that? I have an iPhone 5s.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 11:37 AM

28 replies

Sep 17, 2015 1:03 PM in response to bisousrose

I tested on my Pad and iPhone with iOS9 and Photos does not crash, when I select more than two photos to add to an album.

Send a bug report to Apple using the feedback form. Apple - Feedback

Check, if the problem depends on the particular album or the photos you are selecting. If not,I'd try if restoring the device with iTunes will help to reinstall the iOS9 upgrade, see: Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Sep 17, 2015 2:05 PM in response to léonie

It doesn't matter what i select whether it be a .gif, a regular photo or a video. It crashes all the same. I sent a bug report as suggested. If I don't find another solution I'll restore my phone but I want that to be a last resort, so I'm going to wait for possible feedback from Apple or other suggestions. Thanks so much for your help though.

Sep 17, 2015 4:32 PM in response to léonie

Just upgraded my 5s iPhone and I found 4 images that will crash Photos when I try to select and add them to an existing album.

They were received via a text and saved from there to the camera roll. I deleted them from the Camera Roll and saved them again from the same text message. The new batch does not crash Photos when trying to add to an album.

User uploaded file

Sep 18, 2015 3:30 AM in response to Old Toad

Just upgraded my 5s iPhone and I found 4 images that will crash Photos when I try to select and add them to an existing album.

They were received via a text and saved from there to the camera roll.

is there anything about these files that is peculiar? Like the filenames for example? Some ethnic characters in the filenames or vers long filenames?

Sep 18, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Old Toad

So in your case it was necessary to identify corrupted image image files; that is why I asked bisousros, if it happens for any photo or just specific photos.

Nd the answer was:

It doesn't matter what i select whether it be a .gif, a regular photo or a video. It crashes all the same.

If all photos are problematic, we would have to delete all photos. That is why I was hoping, that restoring might help. It will recreate the library and reinstall Photos.

Perhapss bisousros could test once again, if Photos really crashes for each and every pair of photos.

Sep 23, 2015 3:10 PM in response to bisousrose

I Am having the same problem. Though it is not ALL photos. Seems to be ones that have be captured in an app other than "camera".

In my case that is Instagram. If I have taken a photo IN knstagram, it causes photos to exit when I go to add to album. But if I have taken the picture inthe iPhone camera and then apply a filter in Instagram say, both versions can be added.

Perhaps it is something to do with file names? Instagram in my case, uses different file type than the default camera app on the iPhone that is how incompatible with "add to album" feature?

Oct 9, 2015 9:21 AM in response to bisousrose

I had this issue at first, now it seems like I can move as many photos as I want as long as they were taken since the iOS 9 update. Now I can't move any of the photos taken before the iOS nine update. The app just crashes. They were all taken on my camera so I don't to see how there could be a file name issue. The file names are just however my iPhone does it.

Can't select multiple pictures to add to another photo album in iOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.