Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios9 drops wifi on iphone6

IOS9 drops my wifi connection on the iphone6---can anyone help

iPad, iOS 4.3, trying to updat to iOS 5

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 3:01 PM

56 replies

Sep 20, 2015 7:01 AM in response to papamorgan

In short, IOS 9 switches automatically to the fastest connection available. If you want to stay on the wifi of your choice and disable this feature got to Settings / Cellular and scroll down to WIFI Assist ( at the bottom) and switch it off. Turn off your phone and start again. You should be fine. This is a new feature and it's supposed to be used to avoid dropped calls when you do WIFI calling through your cell phone provider.

Cheers.

Sep 21, 2015 12:09 PM in response to papamorgan

I Would say that in my experience that turning this off makes no difference. On all the public wifis I have been on in the past few days since update it has a problem holding any wifi signal, even strong ones and keeps switching me to 3G (costing me money) and the only way to stop this is to turn 3G off. It's ok at home., I think. I hate iOS 9 with all its mail issues. I keep checking read and they keep unchecking.

Sep 21, 2015 1:45 PM in response to janie_burmy

It will switch to cellular if it loses the WiFi signal or there is a lot of dropout in it. iPhones have always done that. The change is an option to switch to cellular if the cellular signal is better than the WiFi signal. So turning off the switch does not guarantee that it will not switch to cellular. If it loses WiFi it will still switch to cellular.

Sep 21, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Mine has never done this before. I've always had good wifi in these places. Regardless of that, we should be able to stop it from going to 3g and costing us money. Not everyone has an unlimited plan. So now I have to keep remembering to switch 3g off. When I do the wifi is beautiful - stays on perfectly. But as soon as I turn the 3G on again the wifi constantly drops and switches back to it. And I have turned off the WIFI assist. I also have to keep remembering to turn my 3g back on again which is equally annoying.

I will be downgrading while I can

Oct 29, 2015 5:48 PM in response to papamorgan

Ok, I have been noticing our phones dropping Wi-Fi since the last update, but today we received a text from Verizon saying we were almost out of our monthly data.. We never use more than 3 - 4 gb a month but up the plan to 6 with their new deal a few months ago. Why do we keep dropping our home Wi-Fi? Have never had this problem before and cannot get any answers from Verizon.

Ios9 drops wifi on iphone6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.