Announcement: The Apple TV app is here

The new Apple TV app is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: After ios9 update my emails with attachments won't open and say "message not yet downloaded from server". They were there previously. How do I get them back?

All my email attachments are unopenableafter the ios9 upgrade. Anyone else with this issue? How do I get them back? The emails just say message not yet downloaded from server.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 20, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

HI, I am having exactly the same issue. Many of my old mails on my iPad just saying not yet downloaded from the server. I am using a pop account on both my iPad and windows live mail. I have tried deleting my email accounts and adding back in. Even some emails that were received this morning are now showing as not being downloaded from the server. Spoke to Apple yesterday, that asked me to call BT my internet providir n the uk, but clearly this is a bigger issue than Apple are admitting and a fix needs to applied ASAP .

Sep 23, 2015 3:18 AM in response to steveic In response to steveic

Hi,

I spoke to Apple yesterday evening and told them its an iOS 9 fault its affecting all POP email accounts, what I believe is happening is POP cuts and paste's the email from the server to your device so its no longer on the server where other email systems copy the main body and reload the content from the server every time you open your emails again, and I believe IOS 9 is not saving the content to the device and when you reopen your email its going back to the server for the content but its no longer there because of the POP protocol that removes the message from the server, hence the "message content not downloaded message" Apple say they will look into it but as I told them the proverbial will hit the fan when people realise they have lost important document attachments or holiday conformation emails.

Sep 25, 2015 2:41 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

I think this is one of the worst bug of ever for Apple. The content of email in pop account is sacrosanct.

3 days trying to solve with Apple support but nothing! They say engineers know that and they're trying to get a patch in the next release. Anyway I downgraded to ios 8.4.1 but, unfortunately, all my old emails were disappeared.

After 25 years of faith in Apple it's the first time I'm really disappointed because of then and tens of emails with no more body cause of the bug "This message has not been downloaded from the server".

They must be very happy that, til now, the media have no talked about that.

Sep 23, 2015 1:54 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

I installed ios9 on Sunday and all emails with attachments which were archived on an iPad Air now say "This message has not been downloaded from the server." I also think the problem must be with Apple; my ISP is PlusNet and I have checked with them that there are no emails for me in their server.

Sep 23, 2015 6:04 PM in response to zzr1100d6 In response to zzr1100d6

Thanks soooo much for the hint. Looks like Mail in iOS 9 is looking back to the server for content even in POP setup. I (temporarily) have fixed this by leaving all my emails on the server. Wow... I know I'm a dinosaur for still using a POP setup, but really... Thank heavens I don't archive on my iPhone. Thx again for your useful note.

Sep 26, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

All,

I have the same issue. I have identified at least 4 other separate threads on the apple forums as well as numerous threads on other forums. I will attempt to précis them here and also provide links so you can read through my sources yourselves. Note there is, as always, a significant amount of duff information, guessing and questionable fact obscuring the useful evidence.

1. This issue only appears to be affecting people with email accounts set up for pop/smtp.

2. Following upgrade to iOS 9 / iOS 9.01 and possibly the 9.1 beta as well, email content is removed from the iOS device resulting in a sudden decrease in the storage required for the mail app.

3. Emails that may have been present on the device for many months and accessed multiple times in both the inbox and sent items will be randomly replaced with the basic placeholder information (similar to a IMAP case prior to download) but with the body and attachments replaced by the statement: This message has not been downloaded from the server.

4. Deleting the account and setting it up again from scratch does not resolve the issue and will result in the loss of all the email placeholders - further increasing your loss of knowledge so you can't even work out what you've lost (tried it with one of my 4 accounts - won't be doing any more of them). I forwarded a lost message that was held on my iMac archive back to the newly set up pop/smtp account and it appeared and was accessible for about 12 hours before reverting to 'This message has not....

5. Switching the account to IMAP if you go for a delete and re-setup will also result in the loss of all the email placeholders but will 'probably' solve the problem (within the limitations of IMAP) for future emails.

6. This affects all iOS devices - iPads (all gens on iOS 9) iPhones (all gens on iOS 9). It is not affecting the same email accounts on our OS X machines (an iMac)

7. This issue affects you irrespective of you country, internet provider or email provider - the discriminator is the use of pop/smtp. It is disappointing that a number of apple customers have paid for support and been palmed off with this as a possible cause.

8. pop/smtp is not legacy or backward compared to imap it is just different. We use pop/smtp for 3 reasons: we don't want emails left on the server where a questionably secure environment could be compromised; our family want the ability to all download the same email to multiple devices without affecting each others ability to do so; we want one master device (the main iMac) to be the deleting device that holds the archive of all emails (right now we are very pleased we have this as all the iOS devices are scorched earth right now).

9. Some emails appear unaffected - I cannot identify any rhyme or reason to this. Old, new, addressee, - there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Can't say for certain but it seems that more are being affected as time goes on. If you are affected and you have the only copy of an email currently and you are going to need it again.....get it somewhere else ASAP!!!

10. This thread and forum is just for sharing knowledge between users. If this has affected you then you need to fill in the apple feedback page with your confirmed symptoms and the impact if you want anything to be done. Follow this link and do it now or apple pop users will remain without a fix! I recommend do one for each type of iOS device you have affected and the mail app itself.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Here are the other apple forum threads related to this issue - maybe someone else is familiar with a clever way to link them all up - please do so if you know how:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7226924
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7221489
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7226501
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7227219
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7230143
And from outside the apple forum:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2451886

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1543947&mid=0&nmt=IOS+9+an d+POP+acounts

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 20, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

HI, I am having exactly the same issue. Many of my old mails on my iPad just saying not yet downloaded from the server. I am using a pop account on both my iPad and windows live mail. I have tried deleting my email accounts and adding back in. Even some emails that were received this morning are now showing as not being downloaded from the server. Spoke to Apple yesterday, that asked me to call BT my internet providir n the uk, but clearly this is a bigger issue than Apple are admitting and a fix needs to applied ASAP .

Sep 20, 2015 7:11 AM

Reply Helpful (41)

Sep 23, 2015 1:54 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

I installed ios9 on Sunday and all emails with attachments which were archived on an iPad Air now say "This message has not been downloaded from the server." I also think the problem must be with Apple; my ISP is PlusNet and I have checked with them that there are no emails for me in their server.

Sep 23, 2015 1:54 AM

Reply Helpful (10)

Sep 23, 2015 3:18 AM in response to steveic In response to steveic

Hi,

I spoke to Apple yesterday evening and told them its an iOS 9 fault its affecting all POP email accounts, what I believe is happening is POP cuts and paste's the email from the server to your device so its no longer on the server where other email systems copy the main body and reload the content from the server every time you open your emails again, and I believe IOS 9 is not saving the content to the device and when you reopen your email its going back to the server for the content but its no longer there because of the POP protocol that removes the message from the server, hence the "message content not downloaded message" Apple say they will look into it but as I told them the proverbial will hit the fan when people realise they have lost important document attachments or holiday conformation emails.

Sep 23, 2015 3:18 AM

Reply Helpful (28)

Sep 23, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

I Have the same problem. This needs to be fixed urgently. Emails should be available till deliberartly deleted. This has only come up since ios9 I have an ad air 2 and my email is poo3. This is a serious issue.

Sep 23, 2015 2:49 PM

Reply Helpful (21)

Sep 23, 2015 6:04 PM in response to zzr1100d6 In response to zzr1100d6

Thanks soooo much for the hint. Looks like Mail in iOS 9 is looking back to the server for content even in POP setup. I (temporarily) have fixed this by leaving all my emails on the server. Wow... I know I'm a dinosaur for still using a POP setup, but really... Thank heavens I don't archive on my iPhone. Thx again for your useful note.

Sep 23, 2015 6:04 PM

Reply Helpful (8)

Sep 24, 2015 12:19 AM in response to estee_nj In response to estee_nj

Hi,

your not a dinosaur for using POP most of the business world use it because once the email is there its physically on the device like an iBook or PDF and can be viewed when there is no Wi-Fi or cellular data network available its a critical thing for many businesses and people who travel widely it is still extensively used throughout the world, this is a major issue and Apple need to sort it very quickly.

Sep 24, 2015 12:19 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 24, 2015 8:53 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

I am having the same issue with an Iphone 4s that I have just upgraded to ios 9. My email is a pop account. Some emails are still present, but others say "This message has not been downloaded from the server.", even though they were there a few days ago. I guess it is the ones with attachments or large sizes that are affected. Is there an update on a fix for this? Otherwise I'll be trying to downgrade to ios 8.4.1 very soon.

Sep 24, 2015 8:53 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 25, 2015 2:41 AM in response to Jlkochan In response to Jlkochan

I think this is one of the worst bug of ever for Apple. The content of email in pop account is sacrosanct.

3 days trying to solve with Apple support but nothing! They say engineers know that and they're trying to get a patch in the next release. Anyway I downgraded to ios 8.4.1 but, unfortunately, all my old emails were disappeared.

After 25 years of faith in Apple it's the first time I'm really disappointed because of then and tens of emails with no more body cause of the bug "This message has not been downloaded from the server".

They must be very happy that, til now, the media have no talked about that.

Sep 25, 2015 2:41 AM

Reply Helpful (17)
User profile for user: Jlkochan

Question: After ios9 update my emails with attachments won't open and say "message not yet downloaded from server". They were there previously. How do I get them back?